Controversy surrounding Mint sponsor, Private Internet Access

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
gene0915
Level 4
Level 4

Controversy surrounding Mint sponsor, Private Internet Access

Post by gene0915 »

I saw PIA as a sponsor of Mint and thought I'd bring this up for awareness: https://www.hackread.com/private-intern ... -concerns/

Personally, I cancelled my PIA account after reading about all this. Not sure I could ever trust a company who has been known to spew garbage-ware but that's just me.

Sure, I read all the Reddit posts by the CEO I think it was and all the "separation of duties...."....... "nothing will change"....marketing spin but no thanks.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Controversy surrounding Mint sponsor, Private Internet Access

Post by gm10 »

I'll never understand how anyone can get privacy concerns due to a company moving away from the US, considering everybody knows that the US is doing mass surveillance and loves it's secret warrants, court orders, and other proceedings that providers are not even allowed to tell you about. Funny times we live in.
Pippin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pippin »

I gloomily came to the ironic conclusion that if you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.
Halton Arp
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Hi gene,

I can only answer from my own "PERSONAL" perspective.

You said,
I cancelled my PIA account after reading about all this
wheather its PIA or VPNs etc., that any of us can subscribe to, you are trusting a third party entity with your OS and computer sytem security and/or privacy to handle.

I DON'T.

What i do is make sure that i have configured both of my routers hardware firewalls, and what is probably redundant, i also turn on my Gufw firewall in Linux as well.

I then choose a good browser/browsers, in my case, Brave as my first browser of choice, and then FlashPeaks, Slimjet browser as my secondary and go into settings and enable/disable features i want or don't want depending on my personal preferences. 99 percent i do not want because they require an outside source to administrate.

From there, i got to the "store" to incorporate the extensions in the browsers of what i believe will "harden" my OSs security/privacy.

My choices thus far are...ublock origin, (all blockers enabled), ublock origin extra, ( a static no adjustments available), privacy possum, (also static with no adjustment options).

As long as PIA is a sponsor and helping financially with the Linux Mint Project, well, that is a good thing...doesnt mean you need to subscribe to their services.

I just offer what i do for myself for you to consider for your own personal consideration to use, since i trust no third party entity whatsoever for my own usage on my own operating system and computer systems et. al.

The reason why???...here in the U.S., Im not so worried about intrusive Gov't infiltration, Why do they need to spend billions of dollars to build an infrostructure to do this when private enterprise is already doing this for their own reasons already?...all they need to do is knock on their door with a warrant to get all that the want to know or need to have without having to barely spend a dime.

The bottom line here is to protect yourself first and foremost from ad tracking, telemetry beacons etc. The less they get from you, the better, and the less they can pass on to others.

Third part stuff invariably always "leak" and pass off our privacy/security onto others.

DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"
majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:54 pm
Hi gene,

I can only answer from my own "PERSONAL" perspective.

You said,
I cancelled my PIA account after reading about all this
wheather its PIA or VPNs etc., that any of us can subscribe to, you are trusting a third party entity with your OS and computer sytem security and/or privacy to handle.

I DON'T.
But Damien in the end at some point you do. We both are huge Acorn TV fans and between the system we use to access Acorn and the servers that provide the content to us we have to trust a third party entity or else we don't get to watch Midsomer Murders (btw check Trivia) or any of the other shows we like.

For me it really boils down to exactly what your are trying to accomplish and where your trust threshold lies.
Do you trust your OS?
Do you trust your IoT devices?
Do you trust your ISP?
Do you trust your browser?
Do you trust your email client?
Do you trust your router(s)?
Do you trust your bank?
Do you social media?
Do you trust your software souces?
Do you trust on-line commerce?
The list is endless.
So in the end it's a question of how do you mitigate risk. So not only if a VPN fits into that mitigation but if it does then which VPN provider fits into that mitigation. At some point to use the Internet we all have to jump into the deep water and except at some point we have no choice but trust that our security/privacy in the hands of some entity we have no control over. How we all deal with this runs the spectrum - and, for sure, everyone has an opinion. I try to deal individually and collectively with security/privacy with everything on my list above including a VPN, a PiHole DNS server, firejail, browser extensions, router behind a router configuration and more but still at some point I end up giving up control and have to trust an outside entity.
absque fenestris
Level 9
Level 9

Post by absque fenestris »

Do you trust your OS?
Do you trust your IoT devices?
Do you trust your ISP?
Do you trust your browser?
Do you trust your email client?
Do you trust your router(s)?
Do you trust your bank?
Do you social media?
Do you trust your software souces?
Do you trust on-line commerce?

... öhhm - No !
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (MATE) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook
Linux Mint 20 Ulyana (Cinnamon) 64-bit - Huawei MateBook X Pro
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Those and many more reasons are why im behind two hardware firewalls and 2 routers along with a separate modem etc....also both roku boxes are hardwired into my secondary netgear nighthawk router, only used for Roku as well as wireless laptops only, with both routers configured to what i would call "tin foil hat paranoia configuration status"...lol...still loving my Acorn by the way...let me know if you found good programs you like along with our similar tastes and i will tell you mine...DAMIEN
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ORDO AB CHAO
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

absque fenestris asks the questions originally provided by majpooper,

Do you trust your OS?...I use peppermint 9 respin 2 as daily driver...once it is configured "My way", I do trust it.
Do you trust your IoT devices?...i will never allow ioT devices into my home, (exception is Roku boxes, if that is considerd ioT), period end of report.
Do you trust your ISP?...Never, that is why i use different obfuscation techknowledgies in my OS.
Do you trust your browser?...Yes, Only after i have reconfigured its defaults and then add my own privacy/security extensions.
Do you trust your email client?...I do not use nor trust e-mail clients whatsoever, I go to the source only with Protonmail.com.
Do you trust your router(s)?...Yes, Only after reconfiguring their default setups and I hide between 2 of them with both of their hardwall firewalls activated.
Do you trust your bank?...my parents and grandparents taught me to NEVER trust ANY banks or financial institutions after the great depression. banking is in person only.
Do you social media?...NEVER, NEVER, NEVER,...not allowed nor ever used here complete with system wide blocks of them including tracking abilities etc.
Do you trust your software souces?...Only the sources that come from Linux repositories. Brave Browser is the only exception to the rule.
Do you trust on-line commerce?...REALLY???...Trust Corporate America,???ARE YOU CRAZY???...lol
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ORDO AB CHAO
absque fenestris
Level 9
Level 9

1984 was not intended as a manual.

Right now we live in the world that George described - and even more perfectly than he could have imagined.
absque fenestris
Level 9
Level 9

Just now, my network refused. Coincidence? of course..!

Because of Social Media and stuff... what good is it if I have refused the whole social stuff? My sister, my niece have me, my address, my phone number, my birthday in their WhatsApp account. What other people have saved, I don't know.
Although I have been barring myself for years - I am in all these databases recorded. All that is missing is my DNA and my shoe size. And what I could do further is that I stick a thing something in my back that gives accurate information about my bowel movements. In real time.
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Anyone that wants to contact me knows i WILL NOT EVER CAVE IN and use social media, (with the exception of the LM forum).

I use a "Stupid" phone, not a so-called "Smart" phone...mine has no camera, does not text, does not go "Online" like a computer...real simple, call me and actually "talk" to me, live, and in person.

NO Facebook, Whatsapp, Instagram, Twitter, Linkedin, NO instant messaging services, etc....I still use old fashioned E-mail, or even worse, Snail-mail that comes via the postal service.

If all else fails, they can come to my home and actually see and talk to me in person...NO exceptions to the rule...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO
Pippin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pippin »

Mitigations w.r.t. privacy/tracking will make one even more fingerprintable and unique, one will stand out from the rest not using it which is the majority.

Thoughts?
I gloomily came to the ironic conclusion that if you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.
Halton Arp
absque fenestris
Level 9
Level 9

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:14 pm
Anyone that wants to contact me knows i WILL NOT EVER CAVE IN and use social media, (with the exception of the LM forum).

I use a "Stupid" phone, not a so-called "Smart" phone...mine has no camera, does not text, does not go "Online" like a computer...real simple, call me and actually "talk" to me, live, and in person.

NO Facebook, Whatsapp, Instagram, Twitter, Linkedin, NO instant messaging services, etc....I still use old fashioned E-mail, or even worse, Snail-mail that comes via the postal service.

If all else fails, they can come to my home and actually see and talk to me in person...NO exceptions to the rule...DAMIEN
See - All this things I don't use. But I'm not authorized to forbid my relatives to use my data. As some others too...
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Hi Pippin, you said,
Mitigations w.r.t. privacy/tracking will make one even more fingerprintable and unique, one will stand out from the rest not using it which is the majority.
Then you asked "thoughts"...tell me or show me how im standing out "unique" from the rest...DAMIEN

My fingerprinting readout:

Database Summary
Unique User-Agents 474678
Unique Fingerprints 12062

Your Fingerprint
Signature n/a
Uniqueness n/a

WebGL Support Detection
This browser supports WebGL ×False (supported, but disabled in browser settings, or blocked by extensions)
This browser supports WebGL 2 ×False (supported, but disabled in browser settings, or blocked by extensions)

WebRTC IP Address Detection
Local IP Address n/a
Public IP Address n/a
IPv6 Address n/a
WebRTC Media Devices n/a
Device Enumeration ×False
Has Microphone ×False
Has Camera ×False
×False: "NotFoundError"
×False: "NotFoundError"
Media Devices n/a

Permissions API
Origin Permissions
×Denied — You don't allow browserleaks.com to track your location.
Global Permissions
×Denied — You don't allow third-party websites to track your location.
Reverse Geocoding
Present Position
County Street 2550, Nowhere, Caddo County, Oklahoma, 73038, United States
Latitude 35.159225299999996°
Longitude -98.44228709999999°
Cache Age Mon Dec 16 2019 23:21:54 GMT+0100 (British Summer Time)

Notice my real location in NM as well as my real timezone...however that is not being broadcasted, fingerprinted or anything else online unless im choosing to tell you as i am now.
ORDO AB CHAO
Pippin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pippin »

That readout makes you more unique...?
Halton Arp
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Your Fingerprint
Signature n/a
Uniqueness n/a

Please do tell me how...as of now, My system is broadcasting that im using DOD as my IP
ORDO AB CHAO
Pippin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pippin »

Because you not fit in profile of millions others...?
Halton Arp
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Precisely my point, IM NOT "being" profiled and my IP is being switched every minute as well as my OS and browser...right now it says im using Safari Browser on Windows OS...Disinformation with crap readouts like this ensures against any sort of REAL profileing...DAMIEN

Request 134.235.99.10
IP Address Lookup
IP Address 134.235.99.10
Hostname n/a
IP Address Location
Country United States (US)
ISP US Department of Defense Network
Connection Type Corporate
Timezone America/Chicago
Local Time Mon, 16 Dec 2019 16:43:53 -0600
Latitude/Longitude 37.7510,-97.8220
ORDO AB CHAO
Pippin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pippin »

Something to read, maybe that comes across:
https://maxgrusky.com/posts/browser-fingerprinting/
Halton Arp
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I get what your saying, im just telling you i do not exist on their radar...This system is used by military families contacting their relatives in "war" zones.

HINT...DOD needed to approve this for usage thereof and had to approve my OS security systems.

If you note under my name on the right side of the posts, I live in a "strategic" area of the U.S.... take note that here in the forum, i make no secret of being in Alamogordo NM.

I obfuscate things from there when the families are using this system for A/V with their servicemen relatives...look up what bases are here as well as White Sands Missile Range and Testing Proving Ground...also "Google" what this area was famous for on 16 July 1945....Below is just one example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJRP4TCA4Q8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7569HsMcG8

It just might give you a slight "glimmer" as to what im doing in my so-called "retirement"....NO, not nukes now in this day and age, but other things.

It is a necessity that my computer systems are not to be "traced", "tracked", or "profiled" for obvious reasons when i turn on misinformation/obfuscation tech that is installed, therefore i have things on this system you will never have access to...this is NOT the average, or normal, at home, user computer system...DAMIEN

PS...This thing is locked down tighter than anything you have ever used, all without PIA or VPNs, i even have TOR which is not necessary and i never use.

As a side point though, This is why i laugh profusely at the, "tinfoil hat brigade," people that we see here from time to time...If they only had a REAL clue about security/privacy...lol.
ORDO AB CHAO

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”