PC Mag is now telling users about leaving Windows... For LM!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

PC Mag is now telling users about leaving Windows... For LM!

Post by Portreve »

Honestly, I haven't read an actual major computer magazine in years, so I have no idea how prominently (or not) this is featured within their publication (print or Web) but I thought it was interesting that such a long-time magazine as this would start making these kinds of suggestions. Moreover, they're pointing to Linux Mint.

PCMag:
How to Make the Switch From Windows to Linux

So, thoughts, anyone?
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

The noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
— Dr. Lawrence J. Peter
Schultz
Level 8
Level 8

Re: PC Mag is now telling users about leaving Windows... For LM!

Post by Schultz »

No surprise they recommend Mint over other distros. However, with most people being sheep today, I bet very few who read the article will actually make the switch.
absque fenestris
Level 9
Level 9

Post by absque fenestris »

This is such a softcore PC Magazine. They have been saying this for years, occasionally Ubuntu is exchanged for Mint, but otherwise this is a light copy & paste work. And then there are representatives of the hardcore guild who find everything stupid with systemd, Ubuntu questionable and at Mint they faint.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (MATE) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook
Linux Mint 20 Ulyana (Cinnamon) 64-bit - Huawei MateBook X Pro
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

as always, the article didn't mention the "install along-side of" option,
& only mentioned the 'replace' option, but that may be an better option,
for those who are wanting to move away from the Windows System.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
coffee412
Level 6
Level 6

Post by coffee412 »

Pierre wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:18 pm
8)
I bet they didnt mention dual booting because windows updates has a nasty habit of killing grub.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp 12.0.3 * Mint 18.3 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
************* Get Your Linux on! ***************
Schultz
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Schultz »

Pierre wrote:
They didn't mention that option but they did mention that one can dual boot . . . .
From here, you have a few options. You can wipe your hard drive entirely, erasing all traces of Windows and using Linux as your only operating system. (Make double sure you've backed up your data before doing this.) Alternatively, you can divide your drive up into two partitions and dual boot Linux alongside Windows.
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Linux Mint gets Top Billing for Windows users to abandon Microsoft

Post by AZgl1500 »

good article, and was pleased to note that Linux Mint is now getting Rave Reviews for the market place.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/372564/how-t ... s-to-linux
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint gets Top Billing for Windows users to abandon Microsoft

Post by Minux1 »

Sometimes it's not good to arouse the wrong kind of attention (says the mouse in the lions mane).
Not capturing a significant market share (from the Redmond boys) was Linux salvation for years.
My 2 favorite distros are Linux Mint and Peppermint Linux.

My eyeballs were turning green so I just needed a change.
LM vs PL? ... 6 of one ... 1/2 dozen of the other.

As far as multi booting with Windows 10 goes W10 is like an 800 pound gorilla and tends to "bully" other O/Ss unfortunate enough to share the same HDD/SSD (the steamroller W10 updates ... kiss GRUB goodbye :x ) so I house it on separate PCs.
Last edited by Minux1 on Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Moderator's note:
Two threads about the same article merged.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Moem wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:01 pm
Moderator's note:
Two threads about the same article merged.
That's what happens sometimes when people don't pay attention to pre-existing threads. :shock: :lol:
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

The noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
— Dr. Lawrence J. Peter
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

What Linux lacks in personal computing market share it makes up for in commercial usage.
Most of the servers running the internet and most networks are Linux kernel based.
The Linux & Unix O/Ss of old were command line text based with very spartan if any GUI.
handsomegenius
Level 1
Level 1

Post by handsomegenius »

Schultz wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:56 pm
No surprise they recommend Mint over other distros. However, with most people being sheep today, I bet very few who read the article will actually make the switch.
Almost nobody is going to change their daily operating system because of one single article, conversation, youtube video or whatever.

They will be much more likely to give it consideration if they continue to see it and hear about it from multiple independent sources over a sustained period of time.

Which is a totally healthy instinct really, in real world situations of limited information, limited trust and competing demands for time and attention.
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

There are advantages and protections in being "off the radar" that Linux desktop O/Ss have enjoyed by default.
{Linux server O/Ss have been a proven industry standard for years}
Linux had the rep (partly based on fact and partly based on fiction) of being "bullet proof" in regards to security. A rep that is not hard to maintain as long as nobody is shooting in your direction.
Coming into the limelight brings Linux desktop O/Ss into the "cross hairs" of hackers and malware writers.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Minux1 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:31 pm
There are advantages and protections in being "off the radar" that Linux desktop O/Ss have enjoyed by default.
{Linux server O/Ss have been a proven industry standard for years}
Linux had the rep (partly based on fact and partly based on fiction) of being "bullet proof" in regards to security. A rep that is not hard to maintain as long as nobody is shooting in your direction.
Coming into the limelight brings Linux desktop O/Ss into the "cross hairs" of hackers and malware writers.
Well said, Living in rural Australia, I've Never been shot at! If I moved to America, I wouldn't be so smug. :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
RollyShed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RollyShed »

I see in the PC magazine article they explain how to install VLC, one of the default apps anyway.

Also how to uninstall. Why not just right click on it in the menu and hit "uninstall"? Is there a reason not to?

"repository—kind of like a free app store" Kind of like? Shouldn't that be "The same as"?

"it's generally faster to install apps from the command line." Is it?
You go and hunt out what you might want to find out if it actually exists. No good trying to install a non existent program, and find out what it is like. Then you type in the commands, etc. OR. You look through software Manager and find what is there and opinions on it, hit "Install" and all done.
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

I go to Software Manager first, nearly every thing I want is available there.

I like being able to read the comments which often alert me to "bad software", or least detrimental to what I want to do.

VirtualBox is an exception.
Previous experience was not good with the versions offered in Software Manager,

I now always go straight to the source, and download it from Oracle.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
absque fenestris
Level 9
Level 9

Post by absque fenestris »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:45 pm
I go to Software Manager first, nearly every thing I want is available there.
I like being able to read the comments which often alert me to "bad software", or least detrimental to what I want to do.
VirtualBox is an exception.
Previous experience was not good with the versions offered in Software Manager,
I now always go straight to the source, and download it from Oracle.
You mention something that has astonished me about the Linux sources for years: If I want to have something up-to-date under OSX, macOS or Windows I go to the sources.
Among the different Linux Distros there is the recommendation to search and find stuff in the official repositories. Sometimes the stuff is a bit old...
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (MATE) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook
Linux Mint 20 Ulyana (Cinnamon) 64-bit - Huawei MateBook X Pro
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

For what it is worth, im not sure, but when i went to church today, i was approached by 4 persons concerned by the fact that their Win 7 was approaching EOL and they do not want to go to Win 10...all four asked me to convert their computers as well as one server to linux...i was somewhat overwhelmed and impressed since ive been "hype-ing" them for a few yrs now to jump ship...it took a "cannon ball fired over the yard arm" to make them jump to this conclusion...unfortunately, they now all want it done yesterday...my reply???...heheheheheh...I will do it for you, but since you all procrastinated so long, it will NOW be done ONLY as I allocate time to this, i could have done this long ago for you but you wouldnt listen, "sympathy" is only found in the dictionary between the words "s%#*" and syphillus, just look it up for its meaning...I guess im really becoming an "Certified Old Curmudgeon"...lol...I absolutely refuse to "jump" when people finally see reason and expect it of me...lol...its finally on my terms now and refuse to make apologies for my attitude...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Mints received generally good remarks from the wider internet/PC journalism for a good few years in truth (Arstechnica were singing it's praises about the time i first moved to Mint myself iirc), and for a simple good reason. Linux Mint is a very good OS, and an excellent Linux version, especially for the majority of people that are more used to using Windows.

It actually deserves more recognition and users imho :)
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:51 pm
For what it is worth, im not sure, but when i went to church today, i was approached by 4 persons concerned by the fact that their Win 7 was approaching EOL and they do not want to go to Win 10...all four asked me to convert their computers as well as one server to linux...i was somewhat overwhelmed and impressed since ive been "hype-ing" them for a few yrs now to jump ship...it took a "cannon ball fired over the yard arm" to make them jump to this conclusion...unfortunately, they now all want it done yesterday...my reply???...heheheheheh...I will do it for you, but since you all procrastinated so long, it will NOW be done ONLY as I allocate time to this, i could have done this long ago for you but you wouldnt listen, "sympathy" is only found in the dictionary between the words "s%#*" and syphillus, just look it up for its meaning...I guess im really becoming an "Certified Old Curmudgeon"...lol...I absolutely refuse to "jump" when people finally see reason and expect it of me...lol...its finally on my terms now and refuse to make apologies for my attitude...DAMIEN
Geepers ... surely it's not rocket science to download an ISO burn it to a thumb drive and install Linux Mint.
Who ties their shoe laces for them? :mrgreen:

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”