PC Mag is now telling users about leaving Windows... For LM!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Metuka
Level 1
Level 1

Re: PC Mag is now telling users about leaving Windows... For LM!

Post by Metuka »

Minux1 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:56 am
Geepers ... surely it's not rocket science to download an ISO burn it to a thumb drive and install Linux Mint.
Who ties their shoe laces for them? :mrgreen:
People get scared easily if they're not minimally tech-savvy. Downloadind the ISO, getting Etcher, Rufus or whatever, and actually installing Mint? Forget it, that's super hacker stuff. I don't mean to sound derogatory, I'm a pretty lame user myself, but seeing how compared to many people around me I'm super advanced, it doesn't surprised me at all.
I don't think many people will switch SO unless they're kind of "forced" to. Why change something that works?
Avatar by photojenni on Trend Hype.com
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

lsemmens wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:01 pm
Minux1 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:31 pm
There are advantages and protections in being "off the radar" that Linux desktop O/Ss have enjoyed by default.
{Linux server O/Ss have been a proven industry standard for years}
Linux had the rep (partly based on fact and partly based on fiction) of being "bullet proof" in regards to security. A rep that is not hard to maintain as long as nobody is shooting in your direction.
Coming into the limelight brings Linux desktop O/Ss into the "cross hairs" of hackers and malware writers.
Well said, Living in rural Australia, I've Never been shot at! If I moved to America, I wouldn't be so smug. :D
Well I have (been shot at), and it sucks. However I am concerned for you guys in OZ with your fires.

As for the topic, I agree, it is probably good that Linux was small enough early on that Microsoft did not stomp it, or buy it.
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

DAMIEN1307

I have a very good "friend" whom does not seem to remember to call me when he stops at the local Deli for coffee, must be "too far", as it is about 1,357 feet from my house?

but, let him get a computer problem, and he is all over me...
I have not seen, or talked with him since back in November, maybe longer than that.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Geepers ... surely it's not rocket science to download an ISO burn it to a thumb drive and install Linux Mint.
Who ties their shoe laces for them?
Yes it is rocket science...i wanted to do this for their kids as well as them yrs ago...they did not listen...i wanted that their kids could have an advatage in our now modern world...they missed out...not my fault but "stupid" parents that could not or would not see where computer science was heading for...I was going to do this for them and teach them...for free...no strings attached...you cant fix stupid...people in general are just stupid...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

MurphCID wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:23 am
As for the topic, I agree, it is probably good that Linux was small enough early on that Microsoft did not stomp it, or buy it.
If there is enough of a mass migration that Linux cuts into Redmonds bottom line that could change.
The 90 pound weakling vs the 800 pound gorilla ... you know who wins that battle. :shock:
Last edited by Moem on Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a quote
majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

lsemmens wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:01 pm
Well said, Living in rural Australia, I've Never been shot at! If I moved to America, I wouldn't be so smug. :D
I live in America and I have never been shot at . . . . . in America that is, but then again I don't live in New York, Chicago, LA or any other big city. So yeah I guess I'm pretty smug in that regard but, hey, thanks for the concern . . . mate. :mrgreen:
coffee412
Level 6
Level 6

Post by coffee412 »

I live in America and I think what you hear in the news is really overblown about guns. All my life the only gun shots I have ever heard are when I used to go hunting. Ive never had anyone shoot at me.

I do hear about shootings. However, These are in the bad parts of the cities and generally in large cities. Also people that are involved in bad things. One thing that I have noticed is that when talking to users from other countries they seem to have the opinion that America is full of killings everywhere and that guns are a real problem. Actually they are not. Its just the media blowing things out of proportion. The media likes to report shootings for the ratings and such.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp 12.0.3 * Mint 18.3 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
************* Get Your Linux on! ***************
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Minux1 wrote:
+1
Your humble Portreve.

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0

Problem solved? Mark your thread [SOLVED] | There’s no place like ::1
I used to be a natural people person, then people ruined it.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

coffee412 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:23 pm
One thing that I have noticed is that when talking to users from other countries they seem to have the opinion that America is full of killings everywhere and that guns are a real problem. Actually they are not.
Maybe not in your area:
wikipedia wrote:Compared to 22 other high-income nations, the U.S. gun-related homicide rate is 25 times higher. Although it has half the population of the other 22 nations combined, the U.S. had 82 percent of all gun deaths, 90 percent of all women killed with guns, 91 percent of children under 14 and 92 percent of young people between ages 15 and 24 killed with guns.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_viole ... ted_States

Add to that the murder rate in the US being over 6x higher than in other developed countries I'd say your problems as a country are real.

I don't know why you guys are discussing this by the way but I'm also too lazy to catch up on the thread. ;)
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AZgl1500 »

I'm 77 lived in S.W. USA my whole life.

the only gun shots that have I heard were me plinking, at the gun range, or out hunting with friends.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

coffee412 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:23 pm
I do hear about shootings. However, These are in the bad parts of the cities and generally in large cities. Also people that are involved in bad things.
Oh, and in, y'know, schools.
gm10 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:12 pm
I don't know why you guys are discussing this by the way but I'm also too lazy to catch up on the thread. ;)
I've no idea why "Well, I've never been shot at" was even remotely a relevant, much less coherent, response in this thread.

P.S.: One of my best friends was shot three times at point blank range by her now ex-husband, with another shot which hit and killed her mom. Quite apart from the tragedy which is the loss of her mom, she now has recurrent PTSD which, even with treatment and regular counseling, she'll have to the day she dies.
Your humble Portreve.

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0

Problem solved? Mark your thread [SOLVED] | There’s no place like ::1
I used to be a natural people person, then people ruined it.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

My fault! I caused the thread drift. Mea Culpa!

Many people are scared of anything "new" let alone having to implement it. How many of your friends/family actually know what goes on under the bonnet of their car? Change a flat tyre? It's only flat on the bottom, right? Computers just scare the living ******* out of them! They (computers) do all these wonderful things and, as a user, they (user) don't care how it does it, as long as that continues. How many do you know who are apprehensive of getting a new car because they "might break it"? More than you think. :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

Why and how to replace Windows 7 with Linux Mint:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/why-and-h ... inux-mint/?

there is bound to be even more similar articles, over the next week, as well.
- - it's Really Nice, that the LinuxMint project is getting all those recommendations.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

And in the majority of cases (where problems do not arise) they will stay on Linux Mint (like I have for example).

Most Windows users are not like Linux users. We don't want to keep changing distro just because, we don't want to keep having to relearn new things to do the same stuff we used to. We want to 'waste' as little time as possible getting something on the computer 'done' so we can get on with something else.

So what is great about LM (most of the time) is that it just works, like windows just works.

Still when problems do arise (and how can they not with ALL the variety of hardware out there!) i think if most newcomers to Linux Mint struggle to get going, the chances are they will head back to Windows. For all it's evils, Windows is still a gold standard in terms of an ease-of-use PC OS.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Minux1 wrote:
DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:51 pm
For what it is worth, im not sure, but when i went to church today, i was approached by 4 persons concerned by the fact that their Win 7 was approaching EOL and they do not want to go to Win 10...all four asked me to convert their computers as well as one server to linux...i was somewhat overwhelmed and impressed since ive been "hype-ing" them for a few yrs now to jump ship...it took a "cannon ball fired over the yard arm" to make them jump to this conclusion...unfortunately, they now all want it done yesterday...my reply???...heheheheheh...I will do it for you, but since you all procrastinated so long, it will NOW be done ONLY as I allocate time to this, i could have done this long ago for you but you wouldnt listen, "sympathy" is only found in the dictionary between the words "s%#*" and syphillus, just look it up for its meaning...I guess im really becoming an "Certified Old Curmudgeon"...lol...I absolutely refuse to "jump" when people finally see reason and expect it of me...lol...its finally on my terms now and refuse to make apologies for my attitude...DAMIEN
It might as well be rocket science for people who have never done it before. Not all people are computer geek like most of us here are in varying degrees (I'm at the bottom of that list but I still can run circles around most other people in the general population). What's simple for you is probably Greek to most other people.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:56 am
Minux1 wrote:
DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:51 pm
For what it is worth, im not sure, but when i went to church today, i was approached by 4 persons concerned by the fact that their Win 7 was approaching EOL and they do not want to go to Win 10...all four asked me to convert their computers as well as one server to linux...i was somewhat overwhelmed and impressed since ive been "hype-ing" them for a few yrs now to jump ship...it took a "cannon ball fired over the yard arm" to make them jump to this conclusion...unfortunately, they now all want it done yesterday...my reply???...heheheheheh...I will do it for you, but since you all procrastinated so long, it will NOW be done ONLY as I allocate time to this, i could have done this long ago for you but you wouldnt listen, "sympathy" is only found in the dictionary between the words "s%#*" and syphillus, just look it up for its meaning...I guess im really becoming an "Certified Old Curmudgeon"...lol...I absolutely refuse to "jump" when people finally see reason and expect it of me...lol...its finally on my terms now and refuse to make apologies for my attitude...DAMIEN
It might as well be rocket science for people who have never done it before. Not all people are computer geek like most of us here are in varying degrees (I'm at the bottom of that list but I still can run circles around most other people in the general population). What's simple for you is probably Greek to most other people.
Plus driver issues, configuring things, getting it to run stable, installing printers, etc. it’s not plug and play. WiFi is still the biggest issue.
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AZgl1500 »

I know enough to really screw things up, but what I really like about Mint, is once it is "dialed in", I am done with it for the most part.

99% of my time is on my forums with Firefox, I do a lot of user support, and therefore, I have to have something that is rock solid, and there is nothing like Mint for that.

A minimum of fuss, just open the laptop's lid, and bring up FF and log in to my forums.

Windows can't even come close to Mint for Image handling and manipulation, and 75% of my user support is helping folks how to manage images..... the typical forum user is totally clueless.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:41 am
I know enough to really screw things up, but what I really like about Mint, is once it is "dialed in", I am done with it for the most part.

99% of my time is on my forums with Firefox, I do a lot of user support, and therefore, I have to have something that is rock solid, and there is nothing like Mint for that.

A minimum of fuss, just open the laptop's lid, and bring up FF and log in to my forums.

Windows can't even come close to Mint for Image handling and manipulation, and 75% of my user support is helping folks how to manage images..... the typical forum user is totally clueless.
I agree, once dialed in it is bulleproof. However, getting it there... If my wife decided to install Mint, I can only shudder at what unspeakable horror would ensue. It would be of Lovecraftian levels of unspeakable horror Wifi is one big example. If someone sold reasonably priced laptops with Mint already installed and configured on hardware it supports- Nirvana.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

if you do live in the US - - then there is a few places - that do sell PCs with Ubuntu
:mrgreen:
you gotta start somewhere - - it's as good as anywhere else, when you don't know much about the Linux World.

if you do live elsewhere - - then you are more limited, but it's usually, just a case of asking some Questions.
8)

https://www.zdnet.com/article/why-and-h ... linux-mint
there still is not that many, articles about Linux Systems, but all seem to suggest using LinuxMint, though.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
linux-dummie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux-dummie »

System76 is absolutely wonderful....but unaffordable for me (and I'm sure many others). Sigh :cry: .

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”