PC Mag is now telling users about leaving Windows... For LM!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
linux-dummie
Level 3
Level 3

Re: PC Mag is now telling users about leaving Windows... For LM!

Post by linux-dummie »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:41 am
I know enough to really screw things up, but what I really like about Mint, is once it is "dialed in", I am done with it for the most part.

99% of my time is on my forums with Firefox, I do a lot of user support, and therefore, I have to have something that is rock solid, and there is nothing like Mint for that.

A minimum of fuss, just open the laptop's lid, and bring up FF and log in to my forums.

Windows can't even come close to Mint for Image handling and manipulation, and 75% of my user support is helping folks how to manage images..... the typical forum user is totally clueless.
Good on ya!!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

linux-dummie wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:17 pm
System76 is absolutely wonderful....but unaffordable for me (and I'm sure many others). Sigh :cry: .
For me, System 76's fatal flaw is you cannot get them with an optical drive.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

I use USB attached external optical drives exclusively.
My only in house optical is the super drive in my mid 2012 Macbook Pro.
If an in house optical drive goes south you have a repair job ahead of you IF you can find a replacement drive ... not always easy with discontinued hardware.
With an optical drive that is a USB attached peripheral you just chuck the defective unit in the nearest garbage pail and buy another one.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

Minux1 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:44 pm
I use USB attached external optical drives exclusively.
My only in house optical is the super drive in my mid 2012 Macbook Pro.
If an in house optical drive goes south you have a repair job ahead of you IF you can find a replacement drive ... not always easy with discontinued hardware.
With an optical drive that is a USB attached peripheral you just chuck the defective unit in the nearest garbage pail and buy another one.
I've never had a problem getting replacement ODDs. I build my own desktops and avoid laptops (actually have notebooks) that are limited to proprietary replacements.
Jeannie

AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:47 pm
linux-dummie wrote:
System76 is absolutely wonderful....but unaffordable for me (and I'm sure many others). Sigh :cry: .
The last 4 laptops that I have bought 'new' in the last 6+ years, do NOT have a DVD optical drive.
I just use an external USB optical drive and keep on truckin' along.

Quite frankly, I have no use for a DVD, it is way too damn slow to use as the install medium.
Burn a USB thumb drive for the USB 3.0 port, and it is 10 times faster than DVD at a minimum.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

AZgl1500 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:19 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:47 pm
linux-dummie wrote:
The last 4 laptops that I have bought 'new' in the last 6+ years, do NOT have a DVD optical drive.
I just use an external USB optical drive and keep on truckin' along.

Quite frankly, I have no use for a DVD, it is way too damn slow to use as the install medium.
Burn a USB thumb drive for the USB 3.0 port, and it is 10 times faster than DVD at a minimum.

Just because you have no need for an ODD doesn't mean others won't. I haven't burned a CD in I don't know how many years and have never burned a DVD but I still need an ODD for reading CDs, DVDs, and BDs. It is usually far less expensive to buy my music and movies on optical disks (especially when I can catch them on sale or find them on a bargain table) than with downloads plus the audio and video quality is far higher with ripped optical disks than from downloads. Also, downloaded music is rarely tagged very accurately whereas I can control the accuracy of tagging when I rip from CDs. Downloaded movies never have the extra features that you can frequently get with discs.

I don't like external ODDs because they are usually slower than built in drives, take up extra room in use and in storage, and are just a general pain in the neck to use.
Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald on Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeannie

Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

Sometimes you have entrenched opinions that are equally valid and that are not likely to change and it's time to AGREE TO DISAGREE.
Guess what time it is? :mrgreen: :lol:

* I recently installed an O/S on a legacy computer that was too primitive to boot from USB peripherals whether they be thumb drives or external USB optical drive using the in house cd drive . There are times when an internal optical drive is the only way. Rare but definitely not unheard of.
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

System 76 is expensive and as a result I can't afford one. But I want one to put Mint on, and enjoy. So I think I will start saving up. On Optical drives, I have had good luck with the external DVD drives.
btolle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by btolle »

I am in the process of rebuilding my desktop after a Win7 Pro crash, I am sick of paying the Microsoft tax, edgy upgrades, etc. And now they won't support their program Rather than pay out more $$$ and having to learn a new version of windows (Win10) I will take this as an opportunity to learn LinuxMint,

So far I have found LinuxMint more user friendly and it just works.
coffee412
Level 6
Level 6

Post by coffee412 »

I spend my days working on Windows computers. Its such a drag as most problems I encounter are license issues and restrictions. When ever I get back to my shop I sit down to my Mint computer and it feels like this:

https://youtu.be/MNlekfnG4bg

All I got to do is love U !!! :)

:mrgreen:
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp 12.0.3 * Mint 18.3 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
************* Get Your Linux on! ***************

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”