A brilliant way to install browsers

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

A brilliant way to install browsers

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

As most here know, i use peppermint OSs quite frequently and ran into this little gem they now have...screen shot below...it works quite well...it is a stand alone found in the menu and i would bet that since i found a peppermints https which downloads the .deb, that it would probably work here as well...DAMIEN

EDIT...PLEASE keep in mind that this is aimed at NEWCOMERS...I have explained this more fully in another post when you scroll down along with the reasons why.

Screenshot_2019-12-27_22-05-57.png
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Re: A brilliant way to install browsers

Post by karlchen »

Hi, Damien1307.

Only 2 remarks from my side:
  • Pale Moon is missing in the Pepper Mint web browser manager. :cry:
  • Does clicking on the "Web" => [Install] button really start downloading the complete internet to my local disk? This might fill my root filesystem by more than 100%. :wink:
Cheers,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

karlchen wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:52 am
... Does clicking on the "Web" => [Install] button really start downloading the complete internet to my local disk? This might fill my root filesystem by more than 100%. :wink: ...
Assuming you're not being ironic, yes, there really is a web browser called "web". IMO that is such a uniquely stupid name I doubt I'll ever try it.
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:09 am
As most here know, i use peppermint OSs quite frequently and ran into this little gem they now have...screen shot below...it works quite well...it is a stand alone found in the menu and i would bet that since i found a peppermints https which downloads the .deb, that it would probably work here as well...DAMIEN
With all due respect, that seems to me like a solution in search of a problem.
Developer 1: “Gee, what kind of program should we write today?”

Developer 2: “I dunno, man.” [hits a blunt]

Developer 1: [tokes on a doobie] “Duuuuuuuuude! Let's write a program that, like, shows which web browsers are and aren't installed, man.”

Developer 2: “Whoaaaaaaaa... yeah, man. Let's do that.”

Also, that window looks suspiciously like something out of Mac OS System 7...

Your humble Portreve.

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0

Problem solved? Mark your thread [SOLVED] | There’s no place like ::1
I used to be a natural people person, then people ruined it.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

make sure to download security for the web also. after downloading security be sure to encrypt it so it's more secure. :mrgreen:
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

there really is a web browser called "web".
Does clicking on the "Web" => [Install] button really start downloading the complete internet
The browser marked "web" is actually the "Epiphany" browser...the word "web" might be used as a place holder so that the browser that it points to can be changed on the fly if it needs to be replaced with another browser, or possibly be used because Epighany is also known as "GNOME web"...DAMIEN
that seems to me like a solution in search of a problem. Also, that window looks suspiciously like something out of Mac OS System 7...
Ps...The UI gets no points in a beauty contest but it does just work and makes it easy for newcomers to try out browsers for Linux that newbies may not be familiar with or use browsers such as Google Chrome, Opera, Brave, Vivaldi, and Falcon, etc. not found in the repositories and usually installed through CLI that newcomers are not comfortable using when just starting out with using linux.

Also, Many newcomers often have problems finding or even understanding what a .deb is from browser "Official" sites and not understanding the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit versions...This does all of that for them.

Seasoned users would find not much need for it but it is aimed at new users not yet accomplished in terminal CLI installation proceedures.

To sum it up, This is "Brilliant" because Peppermint OS has found a great way to cut down on newcomer questions on how to install commonly used browsers, saving volunteers time so as to be used for more complex problems.

THATS the point of this post.
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:32 pm, edited 13 times in total.
ORDO AB CHAO
JoeBingo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoeBingo »

fluff
Schultz
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Schultz »

I agree that this is a good idea for newcomers. And like Karlchen said (or implied), Pale Moon should be listed in it, along with Basilisk. Also, I don't see anything wrong with the UI. It does its intended purpose.
dorsetUK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dorsetUK »

I'm with Damien1307.

I'm about to try Peppermint on a computer that runs everything I need - Aspire One d255 - but browsers are particularly slooooow. Having loads of them at my beck and call seems like a damn fine idea.

One of them must be a bit quicker - I hope.

Jon
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Hi dorset,
And if you dont like a particular browser, it uninstalls them too...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”