Totally Mint..!!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
dm999
Level 2
Level 2

Totally Mint..!!

Post by dm999 »

So... I first installed Mint 19.2 at the end of November 2019 as a dual boot to my existing W10, and after a month or so of using Mint (including the seamless upgrade to 19.3) I finally decided to take the plunge and get rid of W10.

I like the way that Mint looks and feels, and it's many configuration options. I've tried lots of different applications based on recommendations here and elsewhere on the net and have settled on the ones that suit my needs and that I feel comfortable with.

It felt good firing up GParted on the Live USB and deleting W10 and it's various recovery partitions (along with the Mint partition of course) before a fresh install of Mint Cinnamon 19.3. The system is pretty much as I want it now, with the exception of printing which I'll tackle tomorrow.

Thanks to the development team and all of the people on here that provide advice, also to the Easy Linux Tips Project https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html which has been really useful for a newbie like myself.

Cheers, DM.
LM 20 Xfce / Lenovo ideapad 500 15ISK / i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz × 2 / 12GB RAM /

stephanieswitzer
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Totally Mint..!!

Post by stephanieswitzer »

Congratulations. It's satisfying isn't it :)
Mac-Mini running Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon, Intel© Core™ i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz × 2, 8 GiB,

MacBookPro9,2 running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 3.20GHz, 8 GiB.

absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Post by absque fenestris »

Yes, Mint Forums member pjotr and his website have been of great help in difficult times. But this Mint Forums, as well as many other forums, was a big help.
And sometimes people via a forum who helped me privately by email with infinite patience...
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

ravenmad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ravenmad »

I recently did the same and blew away my Win7 installation which, while it was set up as dual boot, I hadn't once logged into since I installed LM. It felt good on first reboot to not see Windows 7 in my Grub :)

(I did image my Win7 set up to a spare drive for posterity's sake but I doubt I'll ever use it).
There are two main programs I still miss from Windows - MediaMonkey & Directory Opus. There are Linux alternatives but nothing comes close to these two juggernauts. C'est la vie!

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

dm999 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:39 pm
Thanks to the development team and all of the people on here that provide advice, also to the Easy Linux Tips Project https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html which has been really useful for a newbie like myself.
absque fenestris wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:12 pm
Yes, Mint Forums member pjotr and his website have been of great help in difficult times. But this Mint Forums, as well as many other forums, was a big help.
Yes, Pjotr is often invaluable, as is his web site. He always brings a different, unique, and useful perspective to things.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire

BrianI
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BrianI »

What can I say.
I just love Mint!

Lately I have been guilty of distro hopping trying other distros to see if the grass was greener on the other side. But it wasn't!

But I came back to Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon Edition)! It's like a comfy chair! May not be as up to date as other rolling released based distros. But Mint just works! :D

Here's to Mint 20 in a few months time! :)

dm999
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dm999 »

ravenmad wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:44 pm
There are two main programs I still miss from Windows - MediaMonkey & Directory Opus. There are Linux alternatives but nothing comes close to these two juggernauts. C'est la vie!
Yep, I missed ImgBurn initially but have got my head around Xfburn, and with some occasional command line work it meets my needs.

The switch to Linux has made me try different software, even if what I previously used in Windows was cross-platform and would work on Linux (the only app's I've retained in the switch are Firefox and VLC).
BrianI wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:03 pm
Lately I have been guilty of distro hopping trying other distros to see if the grass was greener on the other side. But it wasn't!

But I came back to Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon Edition)! It's like a comfy chair! May not be as up to date as other rolling released based distros. But Mint just works! :D
I've been trying out loads of other distro's lately too, some were of interest (mainly XFCE varieties) and others were an instant turn-off. Overall, I'm very happy with Mint Cinnamon and have no desire to change :D

CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

I keep my Win 10 partition around just for the license. If I ever give up this laptop, I can remove the Mint partition and restore it to Win 10 if the new user wants that. I've never booted into Win10 so the new user would be able to configure Win10 as if it were new. The warranty won't be voided either. Sort of...

dm999
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dm999 »

CaptainKirksChair wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:40 am
I keep my Win 10 partition around just for the license. If I ever give up this laptop, I can remove the Mint partition and restore it to Win 10 if the new user wants that. I've never booted into Win10 so the new user would be able to configure Win10 as if it were new. The warranty won't be voided either. Sort of...
Good idea if you intend passing the laptop at some stage. My laptop was nearly 4 years old when I converted it to Linux, and if the past is anything to go by it'll only be fit for spares or repair after another few years years of use.

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

dm999 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:39 pm
It felt good firing up GParted on the Live USB and deleting W10 and it's various recovery partitions
Certainly is! :mrgreen:
CaptainKirksChair wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:40 am
I keep my Win 10 partition around just for the license. If I ever give up this laptop, I can remove the Mint partition and restore it to Win 10 if the new user wants that.
In my case I took out the SSD which came with the machine and put it to one side for later cloning (so I can use the SSD for something else and restore it if ever necessary) and stuck in the drive from my ailing decade-old Acer which the T440 is a replacement for. All good! Just needed to change the hostname & browser sync ID.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...

BrianI
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BrianI »

Well, what can I say.

Lately I've been suffering from a case of Distro Fever (again!).

But I'm heading back to good old Linux Mint Cinnamon :-) :D

Shadowstreik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shadowstreik »

That is so awesome. I love mine and it, definitely has its place.

And, as always...

Shadowstreik of the Ragnar AnKorage Household

Skál!

https://mastodon.social/@Ragnar_AnKorage

TonyThuitai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TonyThuitai »

I installed Linux Mint XFCE almost a week ago and I love it. Performance is awesome on my laptop with i3 5th Gen, SATA 3 SSD and 4GB RAM than any other distro with XFCE. The out of the box experience is superb and all that a non-power user requires on Linux works without doing anything 'linuxy' to get it working. Thank you, developers, for this awesome Linux beginner-friendly distribution especially for those coming from Windows.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”