Farewell Linux I hardly knew ye.....

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Koning Mint

Re: Farewell Linux I hardly knew ye.....

Post by Koning Mint »

For me it is the opposite...
Farewell Windows. Ever since 2 weeks.

No more windows here, never!

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

karlchen wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:51 pm
...For Linux systems, as a rule, there is no-one who pre-installs it on any new machine and who sells it ready to use to the end user. All of a sudden the end user finds himself in the position, where he is his own system administrator. All the installation and configuration work, which Apple does for their customers, Dell/HP/Lenovo etc pp do for their customers, has to be done by the Linux end user himself. And not too surprising, quite a few new Linux users cannot handle this situation and do not want to. So they give up and go back to where they came from.
Actually, Systems 76 sells computers with PopOS or Ubuntu preinstalled. They also supply support.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop

karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:04 pm
Actually, Systems 76 sells computers with PopOS or Ubuntu preinstalled. They also supply support.
True, there is a small number of vendors, who will sell you machines with a pre-installed Linux OS on them.
But the average Windows converts are more likely to add Linux as the secondary OS onto the machines, which already run Windows as their primary OS. Or they try to recycle a machine, which had come pre-installed with Windows, as their (first) Linux only machine. :wink:
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

MoreLinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MoreLinux »

karlchen wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:51 pm

For Linux systems, as a rule, there is no-one who pre-installs it on any new machine and who sells it ready to use to the end user.
CORRECTION!!

For Linux systems, as a rule, there are vendors that ship new systems pre-installed with Linux. Have a look here https://itsfoss.com/get-linux-laptops/ and here https://www.cyberciti.biz/hardware/lapt ... preloaded/

cdawe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cdawe »

I actually fresh installed Linux Mint 19.3 Xfce Edition today (for the second time). Essentially, I was trying to squeeze a bit more life out of an old computer I had that Windows 7 Pro resided on (until yesterday).

I have always liked Mint, and I still have a regularly updated Linux Mint Cinnamon Edition (18.3 Maybe) working in another room, once again on older hardware. It just plain runs.

Two things that have frustrated me greatly are:

(1.) Getting Remote Desktop connectivity from my Windows 10 Pro PC to this new Mint 19.3 Xfce edition to work and;
(2.) Getting Samba shares to connect.

The remote connectivity problem was something that was a bear to finally get sorted. Everything I looked at online provided various solutions that, in the end, didn’t get the job done. Different ways were suggested, with different protocols that just didn’t play nice. I reinstalled after getting so worried that I had created a Frankenstein monster of possible connectivity options. Finally, I found online a way that was suggested to get the thing connected remotely. As I’m disabled now, it was a must have for me. After untold hours of work, Linux Mint 19.3 did natively what a few clicks would have solved in Windows 10 Pro. Not ideal by a long shot. Why must it be that difficult in this day and age?

Then, there was Samba! Here, I discovered the new “Deprecated gksu” debacle. I then had to go searching for a solution to that problem. A few more hours gone but I finally found a video online that describes a process to bypass this problem. Mind you, the problem is one that nobody but a guru of Linux could have developed a workaround for. More worrisome is the fact that this whole samba problem looks like it may only get worse, when the Mint gurus decide to let Samba go altogether. Nonetheless, this took a lot of effort, too.

Much simpler, Banshee on Linus Mint 19.3 Xfce Edition seems to die rather a quick death when being asked to parse a partition with my music on it. As soon as I go to Add a folder of music, Banshee quits (dies).

I love Linux, but I find it sad to think that, the thing that may hold Linux up more than anything in gaining even wider adoption is the amount of configuration that it requires to get tasks done. Worse still, they are the tasks many users need to work daily. Windows and MacOS have nailed these things forever ago.

Why does Linux do this? Clem, or someone else with deep understanding of the issues, why must things be so difficult to accomplish? Most of the population either can’t or won’t deal with these issues. Anyone else having the same thoughts?

Sorry for the rant,

Curt

mike_r
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mike_r »

Koning Mint wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:19 am
For me it is the opposite...
Farewell Windows. Ever since 2 weeks.

No more windows here, never!
I'm kind of in the middle right now. I ditched Windows completely on my desktop and keep it on my laptop as the sole OS. 10 is a competent OS despite it's difficulties in playing nice with any other OS. Linux I just love. It's so modular and can be almost infinitely customised. At the same time it's responsive, snappy and a real performer. Every year it gets more of the functionality that I have used windows for in the past. Valve's efforts in getting gaming ported is a real improvement lately. As a platform for programming, it's unparalleled. Not only that, but every problem with it seems to have a solution if you dig into it. Windows used to be clunky and crash prone. Now it's rock solid and if it weren't such an evil empire I might be more willing to support it.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”