Do forum passwords expire?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
E1-Beard-0
Level 3
Level 3

Do forum passwords expire?

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

Hello all,

Well this seems a bit silly, none the less I'm wondering if there is a board policy where an account that hasn't been used in a period of time has it's password expire.

My password got rejected today, 05 Mar 2020, the last time I visited the Linux Mint forums was 01 Jan 2020, so just over 2 months. For what it's worth, I use KeepassXC to store passwords and copy from KeepassXC directly to the login so I doubt it's a matter of mistyping or poor memory.

I've had this happen to me on several occasions, if I haven't visited the forum in several months my password will get rejected and I will need to reset the password. Now this is not a greatly inconvenient issue, and I don't have any problem with doing a reset. I just wonder if this is a deliberate board behavior.

Somewhat sheepishly yours, E1-Beard-0
Last edited by Moem on Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making the title a little clearer.
LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Do passwords expire?

Post by LanceM »

I went from July 2018 to April 2019 with no password problem. Based on that, it seems doubtful they expire.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php
Pippin
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Do passwords expire?

Post by Pippin »

I use KeepassXC to store passwords and copy from KeepassXC directly to the login
Do you mean highlight the password in KpXC, copy, paste into password field of forum?
Peer review = Ossification of current assumptions, the censorship of competing hypotheses.

Mathematical proofs = Elegant consistencies within a synthetic man-made universe.
Models are not reality, no matter how elegant.
E1-Beard-0
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Do forum passwords expire?

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

Pippin,

My version of KeepassXC has a "Copy user name" button and a "Copy password". I select the Linux Mint entry from a list, once the entry in highlighted all that needed is to click on the appropriate command button and then paste to the proper place on the login line.

Lance M. Well yes I have other websites where I haven't changed passwords in a longer amount of time, on the other hand, I've had the same type of behavior on other websites, that is; I need to change my password after some short amount of time passes, sometimes only a day or so and a password I've been using steadily no longer works.

I guess it could just be one of those things: the "Black Box" gets inputted with the same instructions and doesn't always output the same result.

Thank you for your replies, respectfully yours, E1-Beard-0
LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Post by LanceM »

Well you could try entering it manually one letter at a time using the keyboard. It's not normal to have to reset passwords.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php
nakednorman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nakednorman »

E1-Beard-0,
I think I have probably gone over 2 months without logging in to the forum at some stage, and I also use KeepassXC to log into the forum - it has never failed.
However, I use it in a slightly different manner to your description:
With the cursor in the 'username' position on the forum login screen, I right-click the 'Mint forum' entry in KeepassXC and select 'Perform Auto-Type' (Ctrl+Shift+V) - it then enters both username & password automagically.
This saves doing copy/paste username and then copy/paste password.
HTH
lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

No they do not. I signed up some years back and then returned to that "other" os for a time. Only returning to Linux full time last year. My Login credentials were still valid.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

some of the Linux Forum sites, that I've infrequently visited, also do seem to keep that password,
& I'd assume that this forum, would be the same.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”