goodbye linux, i thought i knew thee well ...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
rfd
Level 3
Level 3

goodbye linux, i thought i knew thee well ...

Post by rfd »

i HATE billy boy and company, and finding linux (ubuntu first, then mint) was a salvation 'hallelujah' moment.

however, there are 'things' about linux mint (and ubuntu) that have made it a chore for me to endure, and over time these things have gotten to be a bit much. most notably, 'losing' firefox, thunderbird, openoffice and other apps - they just stop running ... sometimes i can corral them back, other times i need to warm reboot. i have mint running on 5 machines - 3 intel desktops and 2 amd notebooks - intel quadcore and celeron, amd turion x2 ... 32 bit mint felicia. worse yet is that it seems almost impossible to burn an iso image without errors, or without errors during the installation.

am i missing something?

help, i've suddenly got this longing for ms xp.

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Re: goodbye linux, i thought i knew thee well ...

Post by DrHu »

rfd wrote:i HATE however, there are 'things' about linux mint (and ubuntu) that have made it a chore for me to endure, and over time these things have gotten to be a bit much
am i missing something?
Not sure that many people just lose applications (or just stop working) from their systems, that's all I can see.
rfd wrote:worse yet is that it seems almost impossible to burn an iso image without errors, or without errors during the installation.
A few Linux distributions seem to require a slow burn speed to avoid problems, like 4x instead of the max rate of the burn device
--some people use a usb and install from there, saves making CD coasters.

You can also use different CD/DVD writer software
xfburn
--uses a different library (liburnia) than either Brasero or K3b (wodim)

Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kaye »

Dropping applications like that is most likely a result of a bad download/bad burn if it's happening for you consistently on multiple machines. Make sure you're burning at the slowest possible speed, using a CD-R (rather than a CD-RW or DVD of any kind), and always check the md5 to make sure everything is as it should be. Just because the LiveCD runs and everything seems to work, doesn't mean that the burn was necessarily 100% good, which is why checking the md5 is an important step when you're getting started.

Ps. How long have you been using Linux?
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?

emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by emorrp1 »

you should also use the "disc integrity check" option when you boot the liveCD for the first time. It's quite likely to be a burner problem, as I found my new optical drive never fails to burn even at the highest speeds, but my old one was about 66% of the time.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Hi rfd!

You seem a little bit frustrated. :D Maybe I can be of help. Problems with Brasero are pretty common but I have always managed to get around them. Here are some things I have done to avoid issues.

- For Mint 6 or lower, get Brasero from removed to have a working version. (Make sure to remove the old packages in Synaptic before installing the new ones.)

- Turn off the plugins in Brasero in any version of Mint and any version of Brasero. (The plugins are always the cause for errors.)

- Check the md5 of the iso you want to burn to make certain it is good and burn the iso at the lowest possible speed.

I need some more information to help you with the other problems you mention but I highly recommend using Remastersys to back up your system when you have it working well and configured to your liking. I hate to start over from scratch from an update that has gone wrong, with Remastersys I can be up and running in about 10 to 15 minutes.

http://maketecheasier.com/backup-ubuntu ... 2008/12/22

If you can give me some more information about the applications you are having problems with, I might be able to give you some solutions. I have been fixing Windows machines for people to earn extra money lately. If you work with a few Windows machines you will quickly loose the desire to run Windows! XP takes all day to configure! It takes all day to get all of the updates, install all of the applications you need, install all of the codecs, constant defragmenting, install and update Anti-Virus, scan the system for viruses, tweak the registry, turn off all of the crap that wants to run by default, and the list goes on and on....

Give us any information you can provide on the applications that you are having problems with and we will try and provide some solutions that will get things going right for you. :D

rfd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rfd »

in my case, 'annoyed' is a better word than 'frustrated'.

i've been around and in computers since the late 60's, creating and working with telco databases established on unix systems in association with bellcore/bell labs for the phone companies, and that includes working with the original arpanet and coding in proprietary high level languages. i dabbled with linux many years ago but it was just too awkard and time consuming. a few years ago i found ubuntu and migrated over to linux on all my machines.

thanx for the scoop on creating a working mint install disc - i'll definitely give it all a good try. what a pita to not be able to create an install disc! as of right now, i have none that work, not even felicia.

as to this business of losing apps, it's damn frustrating be working with firefox and watch the screen go colorless (b/w) and freeze up, sometimes it comes back to life but most times it's locked up and requires termination. sometimes it will simply not restart. this happens on all 5 of my machines (mint felicia). the same can happen with other apps such as open office and even thunderbird. this will typically happen at least once a day but more likely 3 or more times - i've got at least 3 machines running 14-16 hours daily.

thanx for any help.

r.

ScottishGirl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ScottishGirl »

I have downloaded Gloria and burnt the iso to DVD three times so far and each time there are been problems. I used Gnomebaker each time. I am downloading Mint 7 at the moment but I will use the slowest burn speed that Gnomebaker has and see what happens.

P.S. I also upgraded to Gloria through the terminal, that didn't work either. :lol: P.P.S. Last week I installed Windows XP Home on my present computer using an OEM disc. However, I could not be bothered hunting down all the drivers that XP required so I have come back to Linux. :roll:

rfd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rfd »

there is just no way i can burn a working distro of either mint (6 or 7) or ubuntu (9.04) - i haven't bothered with other versions of each linux flavor. in all cases, md5 sez the downloads are spot on, and burning with both mint (a variety of burning apps) and with xp nero. i've tried using all 6 of my internal cd/dvd burners (a variety of brands, all goodies). fwiw, all the burns verify fine, but the installs all crap out with 'probable bad cd burn errors - try again at a lower burn rate' - geez, i'm burning down to 2x!!!!

yet i have no problem cloning xp pro onto a cd at 24x and installing it onto any of my machines.

what the h3ll good is linux if it can't be reasonably cloned and installed (not to mention, reliably used)????

annoying enough to have flashplayer stop working and have to drop outta firefox, launch again, just to get a youtube vid to play. not to mention the 'black out, crap out' issues with firefox and other apps. if all this happened on one box, i could somewhat understand ... but 5 very different pc's??? geez louise!! :x

yeah, i'm now going from the annoying stage to the frustrating stage with linux ...... bless me billy boy, for i have sinned - please let me come home again and play in your sandbox .... :twisted:

rfd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rfd »

ScottishGirl wrote:I have downloaded Gloria and burnt the iso to DVD three times so far and each time there are been problems. I used Gnomebaker each time. I am downloading Mint 7 at the moment but I will use the slowest burn speed that Gnomebaker has and see what happens.

P.S. I also upgraded to Gloria through the terminal, that didn't work either. :lol: P.P.S. Last week I installed Windows XP Home on my present computer using an OEM disc. However, I could not be bothered hunting down all the drivers that XP required so I have come back to Linux. :roll:

yeah, it takes longer to install xp, but i've got it down to a science - boot up the xp pro disc, reformat the drive, install w/sp1, install sp2, add any proprietary pc mb drivers (if need be), load yer apps. maybe 2-3 hours tops. i know, i know - 30 minutes or less and mint is up and running - IF yer lucky. seems to me mint and ubuntu need to work on install reliability - it sure seems that ms has that down pat, at least with xp.

toolz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by toolz »

rfd wrote: yeah, it takes longer to install xp, but i've got it down to a science - boot up the xp pro disc, reformat the drive, install w/sp1, install sp2, add any proprietary pc mb drivers (if need be), load yer apps.
Sounds like hell. I use nLite to roll in the service packs and drivers and I use portable apps (note: lower case) on a separate partition. Some registry files for all my tweaks and ready to roll in less than 30 minutes.

toolz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by toolz »

rfd wrote:there is just no way i can burn a working distro of either mint (6 or 7) or ubuntu (9.04) - i haven't bothered with other versions of each linux flavor. in all cases, md5 sez the downloads are spot on, and burning with both mint (a variety of burning apps) and with xp nero. i've tried using all 6 of my internal cd/dvd burners (a variety of brands, all goodies). fwiw, all the burns verify fine, but the installs all crap out with 'probable bad cd burn errors - try again at a lower burn rate' - geez, i'm burning down to 2x!!!!
First reply suggested USB (Unetbootin?). It's what all the cool kidz are doing these days. Have you tried that?

rfd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rfd »

toolz wrote:
rfd wrote:there is just no way i can burn a working distro of either mint (6 or 7) or ubuntu (9.04) - i haven't bothered with other versions of each linux flavor. in all cases, md5 sez the downloads are spot on, and burning with both mint (a variety of burning apps) and with xp nero. i've tried using all 6 of my internal cd/dvd burners (a variety of brands, all goodies). fwiw, all the burns verify fine, but the installs all crap out with 'probable bad cd burn errors - try again at a lower burn rate' - geez, i'm burning down to 2x!!!!
First reply suggested USB (Unetbootin?). It's what all the cool kidz are doing these days. Have you tried that?
haven't tried usb - school me on that, please?

emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by emorrp1 »

If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com

ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

ScottishGirl wrote: required so I have come back to Linux. :roll:
Oh, so you have finally got the wireless issue sorted out???
Sony i3 - VPCEB13FG laptop ~ LM19.2 - ZorinOS 15 - Win 10

rfd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rfd »

cool stuff, but check this out - even the usb distro also fails with errors stating the cd wasn't properly burned.

Ozz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Ozz »

I find this difficult to believe, but trust me I believe you if you say unetbootin doesn't work.

I have not burned a CD for the last year of so, and do all my stuff either with online storage or with USB sticks.

The trick with unetbootin is to make sure that the memory stick is completely empty, and by empty, I mean empty (control + H) to see if there are any hidden files. If there is a .trash folder there, zap it :wink: This often is a cause of problems

Then with a nice clean iso that you downloaded from an official torrent or via the direct download link, you can mount it onto the USB memory stick following the instructions given by UnetBootin.

IMPORTANT: use the unmount device feature on Linux or safe withdraw option on XP/Vista (bottom right)

Third thing people do that sometimes makes the process go wrong is either click on install directly on the menu, or go with the live option:
Boot pc with memory stick in slot
Activate the boot device (often F11 or F12)
Then choose the default option (not live; or install)
Once you are booted on Mint, select the install icon. GOGOGOGOGO.

Come back to us if that does work. I guess if it doesn't you will be tearing your hair out :(

rfd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rfd »

the usb was wiped clean b4 loading with the distro. same mint 7 install error on 2 different machines - errno 5, input/output, can't read cd.

this sux.

no .... mint's installation sux.

toolz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by toolz »

You've taken the CD out? You're booting from the USB? You said you checked the md5 but I'll just repeat the advice to try that again.

rfd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rfd »

toolz wrote:You've taken the CD out? You're booting from the USB? You said you checked the md5 but I'll just repeat the advice to try that again.
yes to everything.

Egorama
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Egorama »

I believe if you have verified the checksum and it was equal and you get burn error message on both CD and USB you have a memory fault.

When the data is verified it is obvious copied to memory and checked there if there isn't a match, which is likely with faulty memory it gives the bad burn error.

This isn't a CD drive issue because it fails with USB too
This isn't a Bad ISO you have checked the hash.

The only link left in the chain is memory, run memtest I guarantee it will fail.
Last edited by Egorama on Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dont Believe half of what you see and none of what you here -- Lou Reed

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”