New install 19.3 now hard drive runs steady for 20 minutes- computer now retired

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Rusty Relic
Level 1
Level 1

New install 19.3 now hard drive runs steady for 20 minutes- computer now retired

Post by Rusty Relic »

Good evening. Machine: Dell Vostro 200 standard ram, 1TB hard drive. Was running 17.3 mint Cinnamon and installed new hard drive and Mint 19.3 Mate and shortly after staring computer each time the hard drive starts to run / cycle continuously (head constantly seeking, buzzing) for 20 - 25 minutes making the computer almost unusable; ie: the mouse won't respond, the page I am viewing won't scroll, attempting to click on a link is either very slow or doesn't respond at all. Was working normally until the software upgrade.
What new feature has been added to 19.3 to create this issue and is there a way to correct / disable the cause of the problem?
Thanks for any insight into this as I am wondering if I need to be looking for another Linux flavour that will run on an older machine.
Last edited by Rusty Relic on Fri May 15, 2020 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Re: New install 19.3 now hard drive runs steady for 20 minutes

Post by all41 »

See what is taking your resources by opening a terminal and enter this inquiry:

Code: Select all

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
You will seldom see a grey-beard wearing a tinfoil hat.
Rusty Relic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rusty Relic »

Good evening I think I have the "top" screenshot attached along with the system monitor. I don't know what it means though.
Screenshot at 2020-05-01 07-28-19a.jpg
Thanks
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

Can you report your inxi -Fxxxz output. I suspect you'd do better running the the latest 4.15.0-x kernel rather than 5.3.0-x you are probably currently running.

Your top output showings you have some swapping going on despite relatively low memory pressure. Reducing your swappiness may also help a little - the method is towards the end of this informative article - https://www.howtogeek.com/449691/what-i ... change-it/
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Rusty Relic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rusty Relic »

Good evening. Here is the result of inxi -Fxxxz taken 11 minutes after startup. I tried to find information on what this code does - no luck. This evening it was about 45 minutes until the hard drive stopped chattering along with the jerky mouse response, slow or intermittent page movement, the longest I have had so far.
Thanks
download/file.php?mode=view&id=58739
Attachments
inxi 11mn.jpg
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

Rusty Relic wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:47 pm
Good evening. Here is the result of inxi -Fxxxz taken 11 minutes after startup. I tried to find information on what this code does - no luck. This evening it was about 45 minutes until the hard drive stopped chattering along with the jerky mouse response, slow or intermittent page movement, the longest I have had so far.
Thanks
Hi, it's a system information tool - the command man inxi will tell you a bit more about it. For future reference it's a lot better to copy output from the terminal and post it to to your reply ion between [code][/code] tags rather than post screenshots. Nothing jumps out as problematic in your output, but it does confirm a few useful details.

I would suggest trying the latest 4.15 kernel instead of 5.3 to see if that makes any difference. A few people have noted anomalous swap usage on 5.3 which would be a factor in disk thrashing so I suspect you will.

Open Update manager > View > Linux kernels. Then select the latest 4.15. kernel (4.15.0-99 at time of writing) and install it. Reboot and access the grub screen (on most PC's this is by holding down Shift at boot. On some it will be Escape). From the grub screen you can choose to boot with the 4.15 kernel just installed. Test.

If 4.15 works OK for you, and mitigates the disk thrashing you can make it the default by going back into Update manager and removing all installed kernels from the 5.0.x and 5.3.x series. Future kernel updates will only be offered for the 4.15.x series.

I would also suggest applying the swappiness tweak mentioned above,
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

another thought, may be that the Cinnamon Desktop, is too heavy for that machine,
& that you may be better off, in using the Mate Desktop, instead.

you can Install the Mate Desktop, from Package manager aka synaptic,
& by searching for mint-meta-mate in the synaptic search area.

then, simply Log-Out & select the New Desktop, from the Top RHS of the Log-In screen.
& then type your regular User Password, again.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

Pierre wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:11 am
another thought, may be that the Cinnamon Desktop, is too heavy for that machine,
& that you may be better off, in using the Mate Desktop, instead..
Err - the OP is already using MATE.
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

Yes, +1 smurphos point though.
On modern hardware desktop choice MATE vs Cinnamon is very
miniscule.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
You will seldom see a grey-beard wearing a tinfoil hat.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

Yeah - - that attachment - is a bit hard to read.
:lol:

although, I've always found there is quite an difference, between those two Desktops,
& in just how much resources, that they do seem to be using.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Rusty Relic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rusty Relic »

Good evening. I have tried the 4.15.0-99 kernel a couple of times and once while the computer was idle, just the start up screen, and after a few minutes the drive was "thrashing" and continued until I shut it off. I haven't tried the the swappiness thing yet, too much outside stuff to be done when the weather is decent, I haven't even finished reading the article.
I am beginning to think that the newer kernels and the hardware architecture of this old Dell just don't agree.
Will report back when I get more time to play with it some more.
Thanks guys.
Rusty Relic
Level 1
Level 1

Re: New install 19.3 now hard drive runs steady for 20 minutes - computer now retired

Post by Rusty Relic »

Good evening. Just to finalize this thread; I have retired the Vostro 200 and replaced it with a Dell Optiplex 380 that is also running Mint 19.3 Mate. I couldn't get the previous machine to behave no matter what.
Thanks for trying guys.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”