Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Chris Titus Tech youtube 'Windows 10 to Linux Mint' series

Post by ZakGordon »

Just saw these in my youtube channels and thought i'd share it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hwWAOBOsJs

He is pretty good at the details, so if your new to thinking about moving from Windows 10 to Mint, this might be a good series to watch to help you :)
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial

Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Chris Titus Tech youtube 'Windows 10 to Linux Mint' series

Post by Night Wing »

Here are some of the other videos that go with the first one you posted the link to for Installation, Configuration and Programs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svno4shb3GY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWA4F95A0Vc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNl02gwhEYc
Mint 20 (Ulyana) Xfce 64 Bit

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

When i posted he had one or two left to finish, so i'll need to watch the rest, thanks for those links for others not subbed to Chris's channel.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

There's really only two reasons at this point I can think of for people not to switch from W10: dependence on specific software, or ignorance of viable OS alternatives.

The only reason I presently have W10 in my house (and use it) is it came with my new PC, and I want to get back into the technology field which means getting current with what's out there. I'd do the same thing with Apple, but I'm not about to spend $1,000+ on hardware just to have the privilege of running the latest version of their OS. Still, 10.13.6 is significantly newer than anything I was running previously.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire

MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

I have enjoyed his Mint videos, and look forward to more.

MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

I am astonished Distrotube is actually saying nice things about Mint. He was one of the mint should die crew which is why I stopped watching him, and unsubscribed from his channel. His video is Mint power user.

Edit, here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKX29fJ8U2Y

Grateful4Linux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Grateful4Linux »

MurphCID wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:21 am
I am astonished Distrotube is actually saying nice things about Mint. He was one of the mint should die crew which is why I stopped watching him, and unsubscribed from his channel. His video is Mint power user.
I saw that Mint Should Die video. I was so annoyed by it and have avoided all of his videos ever since.

MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Grateful4Linux wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:55 pm
MurphCID wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:21 am
I saw that Mint Should Die video. I was so annoyed by it and have avoided all of his videos ever since.
Yeah it really hacked me off as well. So I avoided him pretty much.

MichaelHathaway
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MichaelHathaway »

Derek Taylor @ Distrotube does not like Linux Mint and he thumbs his nose at it every chance he gets. He feels that it is a security risk and that it is a redundant waste of time and effort. In his last video with Linux Mint, he tore the platform down in order to show that Mint is no different than any other distribution, "distributions don't matter" he states, in an attempt to take away how special LM is. I used to be one of his executive producers for his show and I left because of this and the direction in which he has chosen to take his channel. :|

The Linux Mint video series, by Chris Titus was my idea. I grew tired of the fragmentation of videos on Youtube which educated the general public about Linux Mint. I am the executive producer and editor, I provide content and direction for the series and for much of Chris Titus's channel both on Youtube and the live streams on Twitch. I converted my commercial banner in the sponsor section to help guide those new to Linux Mint to the educational series. :mrgreen:

MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

MichaelHathaway wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:59 am
Derek Taylor @ Distrotube does not like Linux Mint and he thumbs his nose at it every chance he gets. He feels that it is a security risk and that it is a redundant waste of time and effort. In his last video with Linux Mint, he tore the platform down in order to show that Mint is no different than any other distribution, "distributions don't matter" he states, in an attempt to take away how special LM is. I used to be one of his executive producers for his show and I left because of this and the direction in which he has chosen to take his channel. :|

The Linux Mint video series, by Chris Titus was my idea. I grew tired of the fragmentation of videos on Youtube which educated the general public about Linux Mint. I am the executive producer and editor, I provide content and direction for the series and for much of Chris Titus's channel both on Youtube and the live streams on Twitch. I converted my commercial banner in the sponsor section to help guide those new to Linux Mint to the educational series. :mrgreen:
Well, thank you sir for the excellent effort! I get the impression that Derek Taylor is one of those linux elitists that so turned me off in the late 1990's when I attempted to learn Linux, and was told RTFM! and banned from a board for asking why Linux had to be obscure, and why it could not work better for the casual user. I removed him from my subscriptions after his Linux Mint rant, and only watch him on very rare occasions. CTT however, is pretty much a good show.

MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Now Distro Tube is off on a rant how Gnome is racist and people should abandon it. confused is wrong with this guy?! I don't want politics from my tech bloggers, and YouTube gurus, I just want tech stuff. Same thing with TLG he got all political on Twitter, and so he got unsubscribed. I don't G-A-S what peoples politics are, just don't preach it to me. CTT is rapidly becoming along with Linux for Everyone my main Linux channels.

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Nice quick look at installing Mint 20 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqv-Fi4K-CM

Well done Michael and Chris, looks simple :)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”