Should Mint be Put on Other Devices?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
SpongebobFan1994
Level 2
Level 2

Should Mint be Put on Other Devices?

Post by SpongebobFan1994 »

Because Android has diversified itself into various devices, should Mint follow suit? I'll exclude gaming and home theater PCs because it would be redundant, as well as the Internet of Things because its excessive, but what about mobile OSs for phones, apps for car dashboards, and smartwatches?

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Should Mint be Put on Other Devices?

Post by Portreve »

What you're referring to is an embedded installation. LM does sell so-called "Mint Boxes", but for more conventional things like tablets and car radio head units and other such things... yeah, not so much.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers.
— Voltaire

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

I'd be interested in a Mint-based smartphone OS, but then I'd be interested in any properly Linux-based smartphone OS. But out of necessity, it would be very different from desktop Mint as we know and love it.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

cliffcoggin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cliffcoggin »

Moem wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:36 am
I'd be interested in a Mint-based smartphone OS, but then I'd be interested in any properly Linux-based smartphone OS. But out of necessity, it would be very different from desktop Mint as we know and love it.
Me too, which is why I look forward to the Pinephone. I've never had any sort of smart phone, and don't intend to until there are non-Google devices available.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

it may not, ever happen .. the LinuxMint.Team is an fairly small crew,
& thus may not have the necessary resources, in order to take on any other project.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

SpongebobFan1994
Level 2
Level 2

Pierre wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:00 am
it may not, ever happen .. the LinuxMint.Team is an fairly small crew,
& thus may not have the necessary resources, in order to take on any other project.
That's not to say a group of people on here could create spin-offs of Mint if they wanted to

SpongebobFan1994
Level 2
Level 2

Moem wrote:
Even though Mint isn't available for phones, check out Ubuntu Touch if you haven't already. If I didn't have a flip phone, I'd do so as well. Thankfully it became a community project after Canonical dropped it due to being overshadowed by Android and iOS.

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

Android is based on Linux and therefore one could say that Linux, (simply by being the base for Android smartphones) is already the biggest and most popular operating system in the world.

Launching a particular Mint version or Ubuntu version on a smartphone/tablet has my fullest sympathy, but it will never work commercially speaking, because the smartphone/tablet industry is ruthless. Ruthless in the sense of constant brutal competition (multibillion dollar industry) that will devour, eat up alive, any new kid on the block, if that new kid even will get noticed at all, to begin with... :?

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

SpongebobFan1994 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:56 pm
Even though Mint isn't available for phones, check out Ubuntu Touch if you haven't already. If I didn't have a flip phone, I'd do so as well. Thankfully it became a community project after Canonical dropped it due to being overshadowed by Android and iOS.
That is interesting... I thought it was dead as a dodo, but it seems to have been revived. Thanks, that's good to know!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

gittiest personITW
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gittiest personITW »

Great link and definitely worth following. The phones they tend to work on are pretty niche. Older smartphones that may already have ended up in landfill etc.
However given time and a bit of luck, we could be seeing some excellent progress there.
The phones listed (I didn't check all) that I checked all used older Snapdragon chips so that is a starter for sure.

Something to look forward to, especially when, after downloading a nice app called 'data usage', it shows that in the very short time that GBoard (Google keyboard) was installed on my phone, it uploaded 1.5MB of data.
In Advanced settings/T+C's it seemed that it has permission to send any interaction with the keyboard back for analysis so that they can make your experience better.
Guessing that that means they record everything you type on their keyboard, but (Google please don't sue me) I can't be sure about that. :mrgreen:

SpongebobFan1994
Level 2
Level 2

carum carvi wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:38 am
Android is based on Linux and therefore one could say that Linux, (simply by being the base for Android smartphones) is already the biggest and most popular operating system in the world.

Launching a particular Mint version or Ubuntu version on a smartphone/tablet has my fullest sympathy, but it will never work commercially speaking, because the smartphone/tablet industry is ruthless. Ruthless in the sense of constant brutal competition (multibillion dollar industry) that will devour, eat up alive, any new kid on the block, if that new kid even will get noticed at all, to begin with... :?
I don't see working commercially on a grand scale either for that exact reason. Because of that, and because I've always wanted to set up a company that would manufacture and sell my inventions, I was thinking about selling phones to the modding community (rather than the average user) so they can manually install whatever OS they want. If people from that community know someone who's the average user, and they show them that kind of phone, that could potentially lead to Google and Apple gradually being subverted by them. If other companies want to create phones like that but with different hardware, that's fine by me.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Grand scale or not, I have a spare Oneplus arriving in the mail tomorrow (second hand) and I'll report back as soon as I have Ubuntu Touch running on it!

cliffcoggin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cliffcoggin »

Moem wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:10 am
Grand scale or not, I have a spare Oneplus arriving in the mail tomorrow (second hand) and I'll report back as soon as I have Ubuntu Touch running on it!
Please do, as I have considered doing this a while ago, but failed to find comprehensible instructions on how to install Ubuntu Touch.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

It looks easy enough to me. Apparently you install the installer on your laptop or desktop, and also download the correct version of the OS for your device, and then connect the phone to the computer in order to run the installer from there.
https://ubuntu-touch.io/get-ut
There's a very positive review (including an overview of the installation procedure) here: https://medium.com/@probonopd/ubuntu-to ... 17f8984b77
Last edited by Moem on Tue May 26, 2020 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited because of gained insights.

cliffcoggin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cliffcoggin »

Yes I had seen that video from UB ports a month ago, but there was some doubt or query in my mind about the installation, which is why I didn't pursue the matter. Having now watched it again it all seems straightforward and I cannot remember the reason for my doubts. I recall researching the feasibility of changing a defective battery and the availibility of GPS receivers, so maybe that was the cause of my concern. Nevertheless I 'd be interested in your experience.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

If there was a viable alternative to the Google/Apple hegemony, I would give it a shot. However, there isn't, and I do need to be productive.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers.
— Voltaire

NuBz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NuBz »

carum carvi wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:38 am

"Don't do it, you may fail"
Is such a wonderful attitude to have

it will never work commercially
You should stay away from any type of development work because you only want to do things that will be succesful commercially.
Which is way off in left field.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

cliffcoggin wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:19 am
I 'd be interested in your experience.
Well here you go! :D
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=320295

Ragz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Ragz »

cliffcoggin wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:23 am
Moem wrote:
Me too, which is why I look forward to the Pinephone. I've never had any sort of smart phone, and don't intend to until there are non-Google devices available.
Then how do you retrieve your email when on the run and away from your desktop?
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia 64 bit

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

tweetybird wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:36 am
Then how do you retrieve your email when on the run and away from your desktop?
The question was not directed at me but I'll reply anyway: I either use my laptop or wait until I get home.
If I need to pack light and have access to email, I'll bring my netbook.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”