Linux Mint and GPL license Violation

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Sasquatch wrote: I read somewhere online (no idea where, I do entirely too much reading) that developers where thinking of putting code into the kernel to prevent such programs from connecting.
True.
Sasquatch wrote: That would mean that I could not get drivers for my cards unless they were approved by those developers, which I'm sure would involve some sort of fee somewhere
Not true!!! :D Those drivers would simply be blocked. End of the story. You cannot buy "portions" of the Linux kernel from anyone. And that's exactly what you suggest here. This is simply not possible. :D
Sasquatch wrote: That would mean that I could not get drivers for my cards unless they were approved by those developers,
Which means that the drivers in question have to be released under the GPL too. Only GPL code may link to GPL code without being considered illegal. End of the story. The purpose with such measures is to coerce hardware vendors to open up their specifications and to release the source code of the drivers. No kernel developer is after your money :D
Sasquatch wrote: which I'm sure would involve some sort of fee somewhere even if it was paid by the driver builder and added into the price.
You are confusing a lot of things here :D
scorp123 wrote: If I misunderstood, it wouldn't be the first time.
No problem :wink:
scorp123 wrote: Is it possible to write a script that could figure out the inner workings of a device and write a driver for it? You could patent that and make a fortune! :D
Automated reverse-engineering? Now there's an idea .... :D
ismail783
Level 2
Level 2

Re:

Post by ismail783 »

str8jacket wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:55 pm I didn't come here looking for Stallman's grand dream, I came here looking for my wet dream, which has been met. I have spent so much time trying to get windows users to just "try" linux, and thanks to the dredge of "GPL" official codecs and garbage people boot it up, see that it is half the man that proprietary systems are, and never look again. Maybe consider this a "Glimpse" distro that offers us a "what if" in the linux world. GPL can burn. It's holding us back. Str8
khanate wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:34 pm As long as this distro is 100% free i have no problem with it. (and by 'free' i mean free to use, not the FSF's twisted view of free)
Agree
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Linux Mint and GPL license Violation

Post by Pierre »

It is Not Generally a good move to Revive an Really Old Thread,
about an issue that was current in Years Gone By, as that issue is Now History.

IE: this is usually Frowned Upon, by the Forum.Team.
:mrgreen:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”