SOLVED-Newcomers to Linux Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Ragz
Level 4
Level 4

SOLVED-Newcomers to Linux Mint

Post by Ragz »

For the record for the persons inquiring into Linux Mint. What are the advantages, benefits, security of transitioning from a iOS to a Linux environment?
Last edited by Ragz on Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia 64 bit
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Newcomers to Linux Mint

Post by Moem »

You've been here for a while... surely you know a thing or two by now. What are the ones that you yourself can come up with? Then we'll add the ones that you can't.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Ragz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ragz »

Moem wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:44 am
You've been here for a while... surely you know a thing or two by now. What are the ones that you yourself can come up with? Then we'll add the ones that you can't.
Yes I have been here for awhile but the post is not for me :D
It's for the person who is inquiring into this operating system and is looking for a post with replies in one area without searching the entire forum.
spamegg
Level 4
Level 4

Post by spamegg »

It's free, you don't have to pay like Windows.
It won't violate your privacy, track you or share your data.
It's more secure, less prone to viruses and such.
It's much more customizable.
kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

Since you specifically ask about advantages as compared to IOS -- one that is important is that Linux supports a much larger hardware selection than IOS does. IOS is designed to work with only apples hardware and thus you are locked into it's pricing, etc. Just a comment. Linux is much more versatile.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

Being a relative "newbie" myself, how about this. Here is a forum that is an absolute treasure trove of knowledge not only about most anything related to Linux but also just about most anything related to computers in general and best of all, no end to the number of knowledgeable people willing to share that knowledge with the newbie at no cost other than a "thank you". And as a forum I'd say it's pretty easy to navigate. Try and find this level of help on a windows, mac, or refind forum. Good luck with that! Well, that's all I got! Good luck and stay safe out there!
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

tweetybird wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:17 am
Yes I have been here for awhile but the post is not for me :D
It's for the person who is inquiring into this operating system and is looking for a post with replies in one area without searching the entire forum.
Sure. So help that person along by giving your own advantages as you have experienced them?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
GS3
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GS3 »

I do not see this topic as Main Edition Support. It seems to me this would fit better in one of the general chat forums.
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-171-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia - Kernel 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 4.4.8 - Nvidia GF108
Ragz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ragz »

GS3 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:18 am
I do not see this topic as Main Edition Support. It seems to me this would fit better in one of the general chat forums.
Can you or a moderator transfer there? Thank you.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Done.

English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Post by English Invader »

Moem wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:11 am
Sure. So help that person along by giving your own advantages as you have experienced them?
I'd like to add that most forums (whether about Linux Mint or anything else) operate on a pay it forward basis. People help you at first and then you help other people when you can. I like it when I'm in a position to help someone else; it doesn't happen very often but it's nice when it does.
bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 »

All I can say is...sit back and enjoy the ride. Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”