My great disappointment from Linux Mint 19.3 (solved)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
ruprecht
Level 1
Level 1

My great disappointment from Linux Mint 19.3 (solved)

Post by ruprecht »

I started my way with computers with Windows XP which was a fine OS, but then Windows destroyed it with windows 7,8, and 10. I started to look for alternative OS and found Ubuntu 14 with the classic Gnome, and then ubuntu moved to Unity which I did not like, and I found Linux Mint. That was a real enlightenment for me, the greatest OS, intuitive, and a real beauty. Mint 18.3 with Cinnamon 3.6.7 (which I am using on my PC) is the most perfect OS, there is nothing better, and cannot be. I was so grateful for it that since then I give a monthly contribution to the Mint
foundation.
When I bought a new laptop a few weeks ago, I naturally installed Mint 19.3 and to my great disappointment I saw that you ruined Mint. The first unforgivable thing is that it is not possible any more to put a picture as a folder icon for heaven sake – why did you destroyed it?
Another unforgivable thing is the minimizing windows panel, instead the cinnamon 3.6.7.option - you gave the windows 10 annoying style,
Zorin OS gives the users the option to choose between the two
why can’t you give us the choice?I
Another thing – in the themes > windows borders - you canceled all the traditional options and left only 3 options which are not liked by everyone,
why limit us only to these three?I
Eventually I installed my laptop Ubuntu Mate which is not good as Mint 18.3, but better than Mint 19.3
I do hope that this letter will convince you to fix these things, or maybe the best solution is to declare Cinnamon 3.6.7 as a “classic” and give the users the option to install it on Mint 19.3 and on the following Mints.
Please don’t take from us the Mint that we love!!!I

yours with all the respect
Last edited by ruprecht on Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Re: My great disappointment from Linux Mint 19.3

Post by karlchen »

Hello, ruprecht.

Without trying to cover each and every point, which adds to your overall disappointment, let me only correct you on this point, because it sort of jumped right into my eye (ouch!), when I read it:
ruprecht wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:40 am
Another unforgivable thing is the minimizing windows panel, instead the cinnamon 3.6.7.option - you gave the windows 10 annoying style, [...] why can’t you give us the choice?
You have got the choice. On Cinnamon, about which you are complaining, you go to the Applets.
You disable the applet "Grouped window list". You enable the applet "Window list". Done.
(I have been thinking about reverting to the traditional "Window list", ever since I installed LM 19.x Cinnamon for the first time. Only I have not done so, yet.)

Best regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hi, ruprecht.

Without trying to cover each and every point, which adds to your overall disappointment, let me only correct you on this point, which made me wonder whether you might simply have overlooked something.
ruprecht wrote:
The first unforgivable thing is that it is not possible any more to put a picture as a folder icon for heaven sake – why did you destroyed it?
Are you sure you cannot assign a (random) image file as the icon file displayed next to a folder name?

To answer my own rhetorical question: yes, you can!
  • Created a new folder named PicturedFolder using Nemo.
  • right-clicked on the folder name and selected "Properties".
  • Clicked on the icon in the "Properties" dialogue.
  • Ignored all the prefabricated categories, listed in the left-hand vertical panel.
  • Instead clicked into the [Search] edit box at the top.
  • Navigated to my "Pictures" folder. (Could have been any other folder as well.)
  • Selected some random image file. Clicked [Open].
  • Back in the "Properties" dialogue, clicked on the previously selected image file. Clicked on [Select] (Maybe the English button is labelled [Apply].)
  • Clicked [Close]
All the folders in my home directory now display the default (green) folder icon. The folder PicturedFolder, however, will display the image file, which I had selected specifically for this folder.

Is this, what you were missing?

Best regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

cliffcoggin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cliffcoggin »

Ruprecht.
There is nothing to stop you replacing 19 with 18, though support will not last much longer. Alternatively you can easily test another distribution on a USB stick. In fact I am surprised you did not test 19 before installing it.
Cliff Coggin

LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Post by LanceM »

All kinds of window borders are available. Example: here's Metacity thanks to smurmophs
Edit for clarification and how to install newest version:

Code: Select all

wget https://github.com/smurphos/Window_Borders_Mint_19/releases/download/v.0.7/metacity_for_mint19_cinn.zip

unzip metacity_for_mint19_cinn.zip -d ~/.themes

rm metacity_for_mint19_cinn.zip
More here: https://www.cinnamon-look.org/browse/ca ... er/latest/
A word of advice, rather than definitively stating something like 19.3 is ruined, ask one question per topic about what you want on the newbie section. Honey catches more flies than vinegar. Besides that 19.x has some definite improvements over the 18..x series.
Last edited by LanceM on Sun May 24, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php

smurphos
Level 16
Level 16

Post by smurphos »

LanceM wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:59 pm
All kinds of window borders are available. Example: here's Metacity thanks to smurmophs

wget https://github.com/smurphos/Window_Borders_Mint_19/releases/download/v.0.4/metacity_for_mint19_cinn.zip
More here: https://www.cinnamon-look.org/browse/ca ... er/latest/
A word of advice, rather than definitively stating something like 19.3 is ruined, ask one question per topic about what you want on the newbie section. Honey catches more flies than vinegar. Besides that 19.x has some definite improvements over the 18..x series.
Current release is v.0.7 LanceM - :wink:

https://github.com/smurphos/Window_Bord ... stallation
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Post by LanceM »

Current release is v.0.7 LanceM - :wink:
Thanks, was using my outdated notes without thinking. I fixed the post
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

Here is another great site for themes and icons
https://b00merang.weebly.com/themes.html
ruprecht wrote:
Another unforgivable thing is the minimizing windows panel, instead the cinnamon 3.6.7.option - you gave the windows 10 annoying style,
If it is the thumbnails that pop up that is annoying then that is just a setting to turn that off.

As far as themes and icons go to include Widows boarders - good heaven - you literally have dozens of choices.

I just made linux 19.3 Cinnamon look like Windows 7 and another look like a Mac not to mention my own custome version where I use Smurf's AgingGorilla Windows boarders, Mac-OS-X-Cheetah Icons, Windows 7 Controls, B00merang-Glass Desktop and numerous icons for other stuff. The options are endless.

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi »

"Mint 18.3 with Cinnamon 3.6.7 (which I am using on my PC) is the most perfect OS" No argument from me on this statement 8)

zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zcot »

The very first thing you see after installing Mint 19.3 is a Welcome screen message and it says "this screen will guide you through your first steps". And then you click the first step, and it shows a nice picture example of the "Traditional" and "Modern" desktop panel layouts, and it says "choose your favorite layout", and you just click one or the other.

LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Post by LanceM »

zcot wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:57 pm
The very first thing you see after installing Mint 19.3 is a Welcome screen message and it says "this screen will guide you through your first steps". And then you click the first step, and it shows a nice picture example of the "Traditional" and "Modern" desktop panel layouts, and it says "choose your favorite layout", and you just click one or the other.
Excellent point!

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Typical hit-and-run poster... :roll:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

zcot wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:57 pm
Good catch - I have done so many LM installs it is all muscle memory - I don't even read anything any more just want to get the install done so I can start doing my tweaks and changes.

OK zcot I have to ask about the your avatar. Is that you about to eat the whole entire pizza? Or you are at a frat party and you are about to use the pizza as a frisbee?

zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zcot »

majpooper wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 11:45 am
Is that you about to eat the whole entire FUNNEL CAKE?!?!
Why yes! Yes, it is, indeed! :lol:

Grateful4Linux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Grateful4Linux »

karlchen wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:00 pm
Are you sure you cannot assign a (random) image file as the icon file displayed next to a folder name?

To answer my own rhetorical question: yes, you can!
  • Created a new folder named PicturedFolder using Nemo.
  • right-clicked on the folder name and selected "Properties".
  • Clicked on the icon in the "Properties" dialogue.
  • Ignored all the prefabricated categories, listed in the left-hand vertical panel.
  • Instead clicked into the [Search] edit box at the top.
  • Navigated to my "Pictures" folder. (Could have been any other folder as well.)
  • Selected some random image file. Clicked [Open].
  • Back in the "Properties" dialogue, clicked on the previously selected image file. Clicked on [Select] (Maybe the English button is labelled [Apply].)
  • Clicked [Close]
All the folders in my home directory now display the default (green) folder icon. The folder PicturedFolder, however, will display the image file, which I had selected specifically for this folder.
Thank you so much for posting those instructions! Many years ago when I switched to Windows 7 from Windows XP I had to jump through hoops to have individuals photos made into .ico files and then set as the thumbnail for individual folders. I love having album art on my music folders and photo icons for the top level folders in Documents. That makes things so much easier for me to find. That was one of the very few things I have missed when I switched to vastly superior Linux Mint. With your instructions, it's actually even easier to set these up than it was in Windows 7. Thanks again! :)

ruprecht
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ruprecht »

First - thank you all for your responses, especially for your good advices. I checked Mint 19.3 again on a VM, and much to my relive reverting to the traditional minimizing windows panel is possible!! Thank you, Karl and zcot. The next thing is putting a picture as a folder icon, it is highly important for me since I have hundreds folders (if not more)
to deal with, and finding my way in it by name would get me mad, with pictured icon I can find a folder in a blink.
Well - it is possible to put a picture as a folder icon, (again - thank you, Karl)
but is more clumsy in Mint 19.3. In Mint 18.3 I can drag a photo to the little square in the properties window and it becomes the folder's icon, in 19.3 it does not work, and maybe it is the place to ask the Mint team to fix this bug. The browsing option in 18.3 is more elegant and easy to use, since the default folder to browse is the one that the photo is in it. May I ask Mint team to consider this issue too, if one has to deal with a lot of folders it is very significant.
Last thing to say - I am not a geek and not a "computer man", I am just a user, and I love Linux, with all the possibilities between the distributions and the desktops, I love the ideology behind Linux (free, open source etc.), and I love the brotherhood in the community.
P.S. - I stay with Linux Mint.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Well well! And here I was thinking you were a drive-by poster on a venting trip. I'm glad to see that I was wrong, and I hope all your issues with Mint will be resolved.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

GS3
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GS3 »

ruprecht wrote:
it is not possible any more to put a picture as a folder icon
I just did it. Select folder > properties
Double click on icon
navigate to graphic you want to use as icon and select it.

ETA: drat! should've read the entire thread before posting. Oh well.
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-171-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia - Kernel 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 4.4.8 - Nvidia GF108

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”