Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
rhY
Level 4
Level 4

Mint 20 Mate Beta Issues, Suggestions

Post by rhY »

Mint 20 Mate Beta Issues:

Default app selections are poor.

Gimp should be installed by default. Period. Also it should be pre-configured to be in single window mode. And be in the favorites in the Mint menu.
Audacious is much lighter/better/faster than Rhythmbox which is bloated and slow. Should also be in the favorite menu.
OBS-studio is insanely popular and should be available in the repos without adding a custom PPA.
Qbittorrent is a lot better than transmission.
K3b is a lot better than brasero
Libre Office apps should be in the favorites list by default. Definitely the spreadsheet and word processor.
Ublock origin should be installed in firefox by default.
VLC should be installed by default. Period.
Aisle Riot should be installed by default, and in the mint menu favorites.

Software Manager Issues.

Tor Browser should be in the software manager.
Editors’ Picks could be a lot better. Gnome Maps, Sublime, PIA Manager, Calibre, and Shutter could definitely be replaced. My suggestions: 0 AD, higan, filezilla, audacity, blender, openshot, dolphin emulator
Curating some of the software manager store items to show more polished/popular titles at the top of the list would be good. Especially in the games list.

Compiz Issues.

No default compiz config. Lots to fix here:
Default to 4 desktops/viewports/workspaces (same as Marco or Cinnamon)
Enable OpenGL and Compositing
Enable MATE Compatibility
Enable Enhanced Zoom Desktop (should be Enhanced Desktop Zoom, ENGLISH!) (plus enable the mouse scroll wheel controls)
Enable Opacity, Brightness, Saturation
Enable Desktop Cube and Rotate Cube (and setup better defaults (zoom, speed, etc.)
Enable 3D Windows
Enable Firepaint and Window Decoration
Enable JPEG, PNG, SVG, and Text (Image Loading sub category)
Enable Mouse position polling
Enable Move Window, Resize Window, Snapping Windows, Grid

Mate/Theming Issues.

ALT+CTRL+T should open a terminal. Duh
Dark Themes are darker than the Darker Themes
Calculator is old and ugly. Let’s make a newer/prettier version.
No Darkest Theme (True black)
Have the color selection separate from the theme selection. Themes should be light, lighter, lightest (lightest being total white backgrounds, windows, etc.), and dark, darker, and darkest (darkest being totally black for menus, windows, etc.). Then the folder/icon default color selection can be a separate selection, and it should be a color wheel wherein you can pick ANY color (with a few good defaults available to click on directly).

See Mock Up:
https://ibb.co/jGZ4k60

Oh, and here's my video of the beta testing real time: https://youtu.be/GvR5yvahqOk

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Mint 20 Mate Beta Issues, Suggestions

Post by KBD47 »

I'm not impressed with Mint Xfce 20 either. It looks ugly with huge icons on the right side of the panel and tiny ones on the left, but my primary disappointment is that it uses 500 mb of ram at boot compared to Cinnamon which is only 700 mb of ram at boot. I see no reason to use Xfce at this point unless you only have about 2 gb of ram where that 200 mb difference might count. Anyone with 4 gb of ram or more is better off with Cinnamon as it is a far more polished DE. And I say that as someone who has always chosen Xfce as my favorite Mint DE in the past. From what you say, I imagine I would be no more impressed with MATE at this point, but just out of curiosity, how much ram is MATE using at fresh boot up?

rhY
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhY »

Mate stock is right around 450 mb of ram usage. With Compiz enabled I'm hitting about 670 mb of usage.

Added repos for AMD drivers, still not showing up in the driver manager, however the console reports they're being used. But I can't offload OBS-studio to the GPU, so something isn't right.

AMD Radeon HD 5450 1gb of ram. Should handle all of Compiz and OBS simultaneously. Tempted to install Windows on a partition just to see.

The Mint Menu cannot be edited either, you can't just drag icons around in favorites like you have always been able to.

Not a great release so far. Let's see if my feedback improves the situation! Clem! Let us know if you even can read this?

tellymandeus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tellymandeus »

I've been having issues with mint xfce too, I installed it on an old laptop for my son, but it lost all the mint theming and reverted to what appeared to be default xfce theme - little mouse icon, 1 panel on the top and a smaller one on the bottom, etc, very strange.

I ended up having a of other issues on that machine (in fairness the machine may be the problem), so I installed on mint xfce another and again it reverted to default xfce, tho everything else seems fine so I just tweaked it back (delete the second panel, move the primary to the bottom, etc).

I'd been interested in xfce to lighten the processinng load on my primary machine because I run into slow-down issues when using zoom, but for a 200mb RAM saving I don't think I'll bother...

(in fairness zoom may be the issue, I've had no problems leaving OBS open whilst editing video on kdenlive...tho looking at htop the drain seems to be coming primarily from chrome....)

I thought about looking at other distros but in the meantime i kind of solved the problem by having two laptops open, one for zoom and one for other stuff I need open at the same time, (google docs etc), a bit of a workaround but it seems to work...

anyway, I think a very light mint edition is a great idea, saves laptops from landfill and allows people (like me!) who need to maximise productivity out of so-so spec, but it doesn't seem nearly as polished as the cinnamon edition...
Me: a non-techie Linux enthusiast running LM19 64-bit Cinnamon on a Lenovo Ideapad S130
Linux is like riding a bicycle: it's slightly more effort, but for a good cause.

Pepas
Level 2
Level 2

Mint 20 Mate Beta Issue: Clock applet

Post by Pepas »

The main issue I've found is that the beloved Clock applet seems to crash often when adding Locations, and it doesn't seem to display the weather. Both are not huge issues to me, I'm already happy Mint is still running it in the default setup!

rhY
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhY »

Yeah, the clock always breaks the bottom panel in the last several versions of Mint MATE. I continuously have to reset the panel, and then change it back to 12 hour mode, again, and again, and again.....

Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

rhY wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:46 pm
"Bugs in this release should be reported on Github at https://github.com/linuxmint/mint20-beta."
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

paranightpara8
Level 1
Level 1

Post by paranightpara8 »

I dissagree to statements, that MATE, GTK desktop, should come with QT applications installed by default. :!:
If proposal is about K3B and other QT applications to be default, then think about proposing to return Mint KDE edition.
About decorations. All they uses resources. I do not want that my MATE desktop would use as many resources, as computer game... :!:

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

paranightpara8 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:49 am
think about proposing to return Mint KDE edition.
That's not going to happen.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

vjayer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vjayer »

rhY wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:49 pm
Added repos for AMD drivers, still not showing up in the driver manager, however the console reports they're being used. But I can't offload OBS-studio to the GPU, so something isn't right.

AMD Radeon HD 5450 1gb of ram. Should handle all of Compiz and OBS simultaneously. Tempted to install Windows on a partition just to see.
I'm just going through the issues cited of MATE beta before jumping in and wanted to comment on this. I too have a HD 5450 but seldom used, mostly as a test machine. Sometimes windows, sometimes linux. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any hw video encoding capabilities (VCE block) at all and limited hw decoding (UVD block). VCE started with the late HD 7xxx series and up. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Coding_Engine
I think the default opensource radeon drivers are actually better than the old catalyst, as far as opengl/mesa for Compiz, if that's what you meant.

rhY
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhY »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:56 am
rhY wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:46 pm
"Bugs in this release should be reported on Github at https://github.com/linuxmint/mint20-beta."
Done! Thanks friend. https://github.com/linuxmint/mint20-beta/issues/145

rhY
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhY »

paranightpara8 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:49 am
I dissagree to statements, that MATE, GTK desktop, should come with QT applications installed by default. :!:
If proposal is about K3B and other QT applications to be default, then think about proposing to return Mint KDE edition.
About decorations. All they uses resources. I do not want that my MATE desktop would use as many resources, as computer game... :!:
The Compiz settings I'm suggesting are the bare minimum for usability. The "Window Decoration" is required to have a title bar to interact with to control windows (minimize, maximize, move, close). This is all only if you enable Compiz. If you want bare bones, you can leave it in Marco or Metacity.

Some of those QT apps are VASTLY superior to the defaulted GTK apps. End users don't care much about that. They just want an app that works well (like K3B), and not some garbage that consistently makes coasters (Brasero). 99.9% of people don't care AT ALL about QT or GTK or KDE. But they care if they can burn a CD or not.

rhY
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhY »

vjayer wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:10 am
rhY wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:49 pm

I'm just going through the issues cited of MATE beta before jumping in and wanted to comment on this. I too have a HD 5450 but seldom used, mostly as a test machine. Sometimes windows, sometimes linux. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any hw video encoding capabilities (VCE block) at all and limited hw decoding (UVD block). VCE started with the late HD 7xxx series and up. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Coding_Engine
I think the default opensource radeon drivers are actually better than the old catalyst, as far as opengl/mesa for Compiz, if that's what you meant.
DANG IT. So I bought a crap video card? Sad Face.

paranightpara8
Level 1
Level 1

Post by paranightpara8 »

About compiz. I am now using Debian Linux with Mate Desktop and Compiz is not even installed by default, but - all buttons and bars are. :)
About QT and GTK. I do not state, that they are better or worser, but i want to state about a such thing as "concept": default ISO should be GTK, QT, or - mixed?
And if mixed, then should be default apps available too, or only a "better" QT? Ok: better, but only for those, who need extra functionality. Some GTK apps have plugins, and they too can give some functionality into action.
This topic is probably not a time to discuss right before ISO release, but for future ISO, for example 22 or even 24 years, we could prepare some insight for developers.
I have a triple boot: old windows xp (for native printer drivers and programs...) and two linux: debian and mint. All are managed by a "boot-us" boot manager in MBR.
I can complete some testing by using debian stable for example and mint.
For a start: compiz is not installed in debian mate by default, but all maximize, minimize, close buttons, all 2 - not 1 :wink: - bars for windows and launchers, clock, calnedar, buttons of menu - are... :)
But i will test its functionality of 2 of these systems and will create a topic about this, then we will have some more event-based opinion, not a rumors.
What i will need, is to do clear installs of debian and mint, to write about resources of default installs - RAM and proccessor usage.

tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

rhY wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:52 am
and not some garbage that consistently makes coasters (Brasero). 99.9% of people don't care AT ALL about QT or GTK or KDE. But they care if they can burn a CD or not.
Ive' been using Brasero since it first appeared on Mint. Could have been when I started with LM v3.0 Cassandra but cannot remember. Never had any problems with it.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)

rickNS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rickNS »

tenfoot wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:43 am
rhY wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:52 am
and not some garbage that consistently makes coasters (Brasero). 99.9% of people don't care AT ALL about QT or GTK or KDE. But they care if they can burn a CD or not.
Ive' been using Brasero since it first appeared on Mint. Could have been when I started with LM v3.0 Cassandra but cannot remember. Never had any problems with it.
I've NEVER had issue with it either. Burns bootable ISO no problem. Just do as told burn in slow speed.

Most of this post is more of a rant, and personal preferences of what one user "thinks" should be installed / default. Not issues of the OS.

Seriously it is the mint team's responsibility what the OP want in their firefox, No I don't think Clem has the time to read this kind of .......
Very little needs reporting. Be sure it will fall on deaf ears.

I for one sure don't want K3B to be default in MATE with all those extra depends.
Mint 19.0 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”