How is LM 20 beta tested? [SOLVED]

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Petermint
Level 6
Level 6

How is LM 20 beta tested? [SOLVED]

Post by Petermint »

I see, in a google serach, an article published about LM 20 beta but I cannot read the article because the site is incorrectly configured. How may people actually test the beta version?

I cannot find a link to the LM 20 beta iso. There was mention of two weeks of beta testing before release but almost no mention of the beta release. That would limit the range of people who might download to a USB stick and test with a live boot.

My interest in this beta was sparked by a problem I could solve using a later Linux kernel. When I tested the ones you can download in LM 19.3, they caused problems as bad as the one I tried to fix. I would like to test the kernel used in LM 20 using the LM 20 config, not that kernel pushed into LM 19.3.
Last edited by Petermint on Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIH
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How is LM 20 beta tested?

Post by RIH »

Host: bob-Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-112-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8
Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
Petermint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Petermint »

Thats the article I tried to read. I might download a less safe web browser just for that article.

Code: Select all

Secure Connection Failed
An error occurred during a connection to www.omgubuntu.co.uk.
    The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.
Petermint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Petermint »

I found a weird browser installed. It does not identify itself anywhere. I had to edit the menu to find out it is something named epiphany. Anyway, the web browser showed the page without questioning the security. I moused over the links but the Web browser refused to show where the links went so I had to copy the links into somewhere else to check them before clicking them. It is such a horrible browser, I went back to a real browser for the download.

Download happening.
deck_luck
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deck_luck »

Generally, the good folks of Linux Mint will publish a "Beta" release notification in the The Linux Mint Blog. So, keep your pants on until it is officially announced.
🐧Linux Mint 19 XFCE 💡Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️ Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
Petermint
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How is LM 20 beta tested? [SOLVED]

Post by Petermint »

I tested the beta download on one machine and it works. Have not yet tested all the problem devices.
Beerislife
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Beerislife »

I have it running in Virtualbox. I haven't really had time to look at it but since I'm now off for three days and the rainy season has started...
deck_luck
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deck_luck »

It looks like it was officially announced today. See the following link:
Releases & Announcements

You should always verify your ISO using the official Linux Mint download page
verify you ISO instructions. Who knows what some malicious quack has seeded into the internet.
🐧Linux Mint 19 XFCE 💡Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️ Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
Petermint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Petermint »

This answers my main question:
It will be possible to upgrade from this BETA to the stable release.
I have a second computer for testing. I will test the upgrade path, although I might do a clean install to remove experiments.
It will also be possible to upgrade from Linux Mint 19.3.
AndyMH
Level 12
Level 12

Post by AndyMH »

I found a weird browser installed. It does not identify itself anywhere. I had to edit the menu to find out it is something named epiphany.
You must have installed it yourself. Epiphany is not installed by default (at least in cinnamon). Version in software manager is old and apparently there is a later version. Not tried it myself.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”