Linux Mint 20 success or issues

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Intrinsic
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint 20 success or issues

Post by Intrinsic »

Here are my lists. Not all items on the list are specific to my update to Mint 20, but many of them are...

New improvements, and general things I like about Mint (in no particular order):
- The addition of refresh settings in display settings
- The added ability to cycle through images in the default image viewer with the mouse wheel
- Improved hi DPI support
- improvements around alternate text input. It is now easier to setup, when setup it has better defaults, and you can now change input methods in places such as the main Mint menu (this wasn't always the case)
- The removal of snaps and inclusion of a proper Chromium package
- The upgrade to celluloid
- The community is generally really good and helpful
- The recent cinnamon optimizations to make it more responsive
- There are a lot of existing things about Mint I like, but now take for granted because they have been there for a long time. All around Mint's default setup is the closest to what I'd want, and it allows people to do the most with the least hassle.

Issues or things I’m hoping for (arranged from most to least):
- Nemo’s large thumbnail support in folders with lots of images needs improvement
- The new version of Timeshift no longer works if you are using a RAID array
- The default image viewer should allow you to maintain 1:1 image size while changing images, and there should be keyboard shortcuts to change between the image display options (1:1, fit to windows, etc..)
- I wish there was good transparency settings for things such as the mint menu, panels, and windows.
- Sometimes core programs are dumbed down too much, removing valuable options in an attempt to make them easier to use. Also, people in the community will confront you, should you want to tinker or learn more. Making things accessible is good, but removing important settings or restricting knowledge and what people do with their computer isn't good. It would be nice to see Mint be embraced by the new and hyper technical alike.
- I preferred the old default MBR partition configuration when using the “take over disk and install Mint” option. Now it feels messy and odd.
cretsiah
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint 20 success or issues

Post by cretsiah »

KT-GB-12 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:03 pm
mintjulip wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:13 pm Not very happy with Linux Mint 20 as either the Screen and or the Mouse both keep Randomly Freezing on my AMD System
Now that's funny, I came here looking for a different issue and this thread popped with the Search terms I used. I thought that freezing was something to do with the wireless keyboard and mouse, so I just put up with it. I have had some other issues with 20 and have been looking at alternatives. It seems this latest incarntion may have been rushed out too soon -- again. Especially so after reading antikythera's comments.

I have been using Mint since about v12 and every few major releases it finally crumbles and I switch to a different Distro for a year or two. The v16 was pretty poor and v18 seemed to be brilliant, so I changed back and stayed. But I think v20 might be the recurring swan-song. Time to look at Zorin or OpenSUSE -- again.
i read this and wondered if it was related to another amd issue im having on my ryzen 5 3400G system..
mint 20 to 20.3 success sort of...

on my AMD FX 8320 system i have noticed
- even on the XFCE version most programs take a bit longer to launch / open.
- steam game launching appeared to require a kernel change from 5.4 to 5.11
- some steam games appeared to need re-installing
- steam games seem to take a little bit longer than they used to launch...

on my Ryzen 5 3400G system i have noticed
- required cinnamon to lock the amd gpu driver into the loaded position ( xfce version would not load driver )
- required adding XFCE for better performance for gaming ( doing this makes a bit of a mess of the panel )
- hitting 107 degrees playing a game called scrap mechanic on low settings with frame rate set to 60
- idle temp sitting on 45 degrees

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”