Linux Mint 20 success or issues

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
willendorfer
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 20 success or issues

Post by willendorfer »

I had the upgrade exit with an error yesterday, despite following the upgrade instructions to the letter. There were no problems on mintupgrade check, and it got through mintupgrade download without a hitch. I have the Mate desktop, not Cinnamon. Can someone please verify that the upgrade instructions aren't just for Cinnamon users?
willendorfer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by willendorfer »

Yesterday I ran mintupgrade download. Then when I ran mintupgrade upgrade, it downloaded everything all over again. So the download step was a waste of time. Could that possibly be correct?
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

I did a clean Install of Cinnamon 20 on a spare 500GB SSD in my Tower and it runs well. Not keen on some of the changes...so I'll be staying with Cinnamon 19.1 as it's supported till 2023. :)
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

:)
willendorfer wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:47 pm I had the upgrade exit with an error yesterday, despite following the upgrade instructions to the letter. There were no problems on mintupgrade check, and it got through mintupgrade download without a hitch. I have the Mate desktop, not Cinnamon. Can someone please verify that the upgrade instructions aren't just for Cinnamon users?
The upgrade instructions are for all flavours of Mint including Mate.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
raspu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by raspu »

So far I have upgraded my laptop Samsung from Mint 19.3 to 20. I followed step by step the instructions and the update went smoothly and flawlessly. In some days I will upgrade my desktop too.
jjp2145-oldtimer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jjp2145-oldtimer »

I got it working with a clean install.

I should have my head examined for trying the inplace upgrade option. If I had to guess, something went wrong with installing python3, and restoring the timeshift snapshot did not fix the problem.

So clean installs only for me from here on out.
If you need sudo to edit it, back it up first. If I tell you to edit something with sudo and forgot to tell you to back it up, back it up anyway. sudo cp backup or cat > backup.txt.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

jjp2145-oldtimer wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:34 am I got it working with a clean install.

I should have my head examined for trying the inplace upgrade option. If I had to guess, something went wrong with installing python3, and restoring the timeshift snapshot did not fix the problem.

So clean installs only for me from here on out.
Point releases like from Mint 20 to 20.1 are painless.
I use Clonezilla backups, not TS. CZ has never failed me.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

jjp2145-oldtimer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jjp2145-oldtimer »

deepakdeshp Wrote
Point releases like from Mint 20 to 20.1 are painless.
I use Clonezilla backups, not TS. CZ has never failed me.
I didn't mean for point releases.

Is it possible to use Clonezilla to backup a ufi partition? Not that I think the problems I had involved the boot partition, but during the process I realized that if something happened to the ufi partition I would have no recourse except an install from scratch.
If you need sudo to edit it, back it up first. If I tell you to edit something with sudo and forgot to tell you to back it up, back it up anyway. sudo cp backup or cat > backup.txt.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

jjp2145-oldtimer wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:19 pm Is it possible to use Clonezilla to backup a ufi partition?
Yes, it's just a fat32 partition. If you want something more user-friendly than clonezilla try foxclone.

I've always done a clean install on a major version change, never an upgrade. LM17.3 to LM18.0 was painless, both LM18 to LM19 and LM19 to LM20 = monitor problems. Fixable, but I know what I'm doing (or do now after the LM18/19 problems). Only had a short play so far and yet to test against my 'must have' apps - crossover, virtualbox and evolution.

There do seem to be some funnies with a 'standard install' - see mr_raider's posts here viewtopic.php?f=47&t=324456.

In response to an earlier question - installing an earlier kernel, use UKUU. Now paid for but I did manage to find a deb that worked with LM20. Installs mainline kernels so best to use for testing to find out if a problem is kernel related.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
MintyFresh

Post by MintyFresh »

I've installed LM20 twice (once a week ago, and again last night), using a clean install.

Both times I ran into weird glitches and programs locking up. One shutdown in the middle of a program. Couldn't get some programs (e.g., Warpinator) to work. The glitches were so odd I'm not even sure how to describe or document them, as something might glitch once then be fine the next time or do something completely different the next. I've never seen anything like this on any of the linux machines I've run in the last few decades. Very strange.

I've been using this same machine for years without any issues with other LM versions - until 20. Not sure what's happening, but it's enough that I did reinstall 19.3 and now everything is working fine again on 19.3.

I did notice that when I went back to 19.3 it did install the 5.4 kernel as well, so I'm assuming the kernel isn't the problem?

I'm being happy with 19.3 for now.
Swampthing
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Swampthing »

I did an update on my main laptop from 19.3 to 20 and a clean install on my backup laptop.
No issues at all! :D
Although I haven't used the backup laptop very much.
Maybe I'll install LMDE on it.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

I did a clean install of Mint Xfce 20 on one of my computers. It's very nice, although 19.3 seemed to be a little quicker to boot.

The only issue I encountered was that window sizing is a bit difficult as the capture area in the corners are very small. Some windows will extend a little beyond the edge also. It's a know problem in Xubuntu 10. Hopefully, the Xubuntu update to 10.04.1, later this month, will fix the issue and Mint will pick up on it.
Last edited by kenetics on Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Another review, and he is hard on distros: https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/lin ... namon.html
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Cinnamon user, still on 19.0, sad to say, I can't disagree from my v brief play with LM20.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Knister77
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Knister77 »

Hi, installation from DVD without problems Problem : cobi desklet settings do not work failed to execute child process "python" Thanks for your help
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Knister77 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:19 am cobi desklet settings do not work failed to execute child process "python" Thanks for your help
If you want help with this, please start a new thread in a fitting forum area. This is the Chat section, which is for chatting, not for getting support.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

The four issues with LM20 I've found to date are:
  • display issues on external monitor to laptop - fixable with xrandr.
  • chromium - well documented with work-arounds.
  • encfs-manager - ppa doesn't support focal.
  • shutter - no longer in repos, but a potential fix (not tried it) with a ppa (post at the end of the thread). Yes I know there are alternatives like ksnip, I like shutter.
https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxmint/comm ... ternative/
blackcarajillo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blackcarajillo »

I already said it somewhere else, I upgraded from 19.3 to 20, success. :) It took a while but it was not complaining about any errors.
Road Warrior

Post by Road Warrior »

Installation on Asus Netbook, 2GB Ram, eMMC 32 GB.
Successful installation of Linux Mint on above device, am brand new to linux so was dubious about the attempt, I know that eMMC devices have been problematic. Ran in trial mode first from a bootable flash drive then installed replacing Win10. One small issue as I misunderstood the installation wizard and tried to keep the partitions, installation failed so went back, allowed installer to delete partition and bingo, Linux Mint installed and running sweetly. Delighted to have freed one device from the all pervasive Microsoft.

New to the forum and looking forward to learning more !
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Road Warrior wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:07 am Installation on Asus Netbook, 2GB Ram, eMMC 32 GB.
New to the forum and looking forward to learning more !
Welcome to the forums and enjoy Mint.
Regards,
Deepak

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”