Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 20 success or issues

Post by Barbados99 »

Moem wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:18 am
Dark Owl wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:57 am
I notice a general theme in some replies on forums: "what's the best type of cat to buy?" "I wouldn't buy a cat, get a dog". That's what I mean by ludicrous - muddying the water instead of answering the question.
Well, yes, but if the question is "what's the best type of cat to buy so it can guard my property?" then the best answer might be outside the scope of the question, namely "a cat will not guard your property, you should look into getting a dog instead".
Sometimes, the question as asked is not the best question that could be asked.
That's a great point. There have been a number of times that I have struggled to form my question properly when seeking help. In fact, sometimes (not often but sometimes) I have tried to research a Linux question on the Internet and I can't even phrase the question correctly in order to get my problem solved. LOL, I know, that's pretty pathetic, but it has been true with me :-)

I do appreciate THIS particular forum due to the fact people do try to be patient (for the most part) with others as they ask their questions here and with people who answer them. The give-and-take is usually pretty patient and encouraging.

Regarding the cat vs dog question, my two cats would patiently watch as a burglar carried off every piece of furniture in our house. LOL, but I like them anyway. They put up with me :-)
My homemade daily-driver:
Mint 20 XFCE - Mint 20 LMDE4 Cinnamon - EndeavourOS XFCE - EndeavourOS i3
Ryzen 5 3600 - GeForce GTX 1660 - BenQ 27"
1TB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 - and a lot of old parts from the scrap pile
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

motoryzen wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:24 am
That was an incredible post. Thanks for taking the time to put that together. It's a really good feeling when you reach that point that you can leave Windows forever. LOL, I remember feeling a bit anxious when I nuked Windows off of my last computer. But at the same time if felt exciting and good too.
Whatever you choose, just know that it's supposed to be a journey ..a learning experience. Remember you DIDN'T master how to use Windows overnight the first few days or even weeks you used it. Don't be unrealistic with yourself and also please don't as a result develop a negative attitude towards Linux in general...

\m/ ==
+1
I feel the same way. It's a journey with Linux in general and Mint in particular. I try to enjoy the journey.
My homemade daily-driver:
Mint 20 XFCE - Mint 20 LMDE4 Cinnamon - EndeavourOS XFCE - EndeavourOS i3
Ryzen 5 3600 - GeForce GTX 1660 - BenQ 27"
1TB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 - and a lot of old parts from the scrap pile
bruce744
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bruce744 »

New mint user here, well not totally new as I used to use it years ago. I always found it to be a fantastic OS, fast, reliable, longer battery. I recently purchased a new laptop (in signature) and wanted to install just Linux instead of Windows. I've ran into a few issues at first, not being able to boot, ext. monitor not working, driver issues, battery only lasted 90 minutes after finally getting it to boot. I figure this was because my hardware is still quite new, especially the Ryzen chip, so I sought out some help from this community.

After posting in the "installation and boot" section of this forum it wasn't long before someone pointed me in the right direction to workaround these issues. It's now working well but I almost gave up at one point, happy I didn't because I still love this OS. And extremely grateful for the awesome community within this forum.
Intel Core i7 9700F / Cooler Master 212 Evo / GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER / 16 GB G.SKILL RAM @ 2666MHz / GA-B365M-DS3H / EVGA 500w PSU
HP Pavilion Gaming 15 / Ryzen 5 4600H / GeForce GTX 1050 / 8 GB @ 3200MHz
oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oldgranola »

Today I installed LM20 cinnamon on three laptops and two desktops. Desktops are my own frankenstein home builds, laptops were Lenovo, and two HP's. All but one were in dual or tri boot systems. Clean installs into older LM partitions were easy peasy and worked well accept for the stupid SAMBA not being able to talk to the NAS, had to fix, very dumb. The one upgrade was a big problem, and after all the effort with the great instruction and trouble shooting by Xenopeek, perhaps would have been b more efficient to have done it clean then gone back and redo all the previous stuff I had wanted to keep but it did work. Brings me back to the irritating SAMBA not being able to see the NAS to import back what I wanted till I fixed SAMBA. I've run one desktop more deeply to do what I need it to and found I like LM20 very well. Performance on media transformations and some R based statistical calcs went very well, actually did some productive work. I do much love the more nuanced HDPI display controls. I think its a winner. I don't like display defaults, file manager defaults, but perhaps I just forgot what and how I had gotten things to my liking before. Re-Learning curve. Thanks LM team
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

I'm really liking Mint Xfce 20. It's a bit faster on my computers than Cinnamon. I like Cinnamon's menu better than Xfce's, but with The Plank bar, it negates that factor. No problem so far except window sizing, which can be hard to do with the small active corners.
“Three o'clock is always too late or too early for anything you want to do.” 
― Jean-Paul Sartre
BrianI
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BrianI »

kenetics wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:41 pm
I'm really liking Mint Xfce 20. It's a bit faster on my computers than Cinnamon. I like Cinnamon's menu better than Xfce's, but with The Plank bar, it negates that factor. No problem so far except window sizing, which can be hard to do with the small active corners.
I've been experimenting with Mint 20 XFCE. Yes, the small active corners are an issue, particularly on high resolution displays, I'm sure I changed the window manager theme to something like default-hdpi to make the windows easier to resize.

For me, I ended up back in Cinnamon :-)
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

I am always astonished at how efficient Mint (and Linux) are in handling things. I have lots of stuff on the drive, and I am using such a small amount of space compared to Windows.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”