Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
JTemple
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 20 success or issues

Post by JTemple »

desQEDo wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:28 am

My current rig: MB: Asus PRIME Z370-A; CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz × 12; GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti/PCIe/SSE2; RAM: 32 GiB; NMVe: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB. I live in Japan and have a fast internet connection.
I recently made a fresh install of LM20 64 Cinnamon and liked it a lot.
This situation I have also experienced with LMDE4 which would also not upgrade much to my chagrin as I loved that distro – low maintenance!
I recently installed Ubuntu 20.04 – shame on me. But update/upgrade finalized incl. the NVIDIA driver 440 during installation. Then I tried to download the Cinnamon desktop – again some parts would not upgrade, so no Cinnamon!
That looks like a sweet PC, RAM 32GB!, Wow. I thought I was doing OK with RAM 12GB. As for up-grades, it seems to me, LM has a way to go to make that process seamless. Before attempting an up-grade, I read quite a few posts on a few sites and saw a lot of issues. Thus, I went straight to drive wipe and full installation. Sadly, I did lose a couple of favourite apps along the way. I have yet to find a compatible print layout app to replace "Photo Print" and I am constantly searching for a photo edit suite as sweet and simple as Windows Photo Gallery" In fact, printer software is one of the most common problems for new LM users.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
JTemple
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JTemple »

NewDisciple wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:09 pm
A bit of both I'm afraid. I installed 20 and to my dismay, after the fact I discovered that my password manager had been removed from Synaptic. I won't repeat the words I initially used but it boiled down to this. A password manager is a very important item when you have around 50 encrypted passwords and my question is if something that important is removed why was there no advance warning from Synaptic maintainers to Ubuntu to Linux Mint to include other distributions? I was so mad that I even installed several other distributions but realized that they severely limited me so I reinstalled 20. Then I downloaded 19, burned it to a dvd, ran it live, downloaded Revelation and recovered my passwords. So if anyone still on 19 uses Revelation password manager you have been warned, at least on this post. As to 20 it has been great as always aside from my previous words.
I can only, barely, imagine the creative language that episode inspired! Personally, I keep two text files on 2 external drives with all of my passwords, I also have a hard copy on file AND I use Firefox's password manager for day to day use. It would take some He!!ish event to deprive me of my passwords, good thing, too! I have 40 years worth.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
JTemple
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JTemple »

Dark Owl wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:43 am
The issue is that reading manuals is out of fashion. So long as reading manuals remains necessary, Linux (any flavour) will remain a niche interest. I don't think I am out of touch if I say most computer users just want it to turn on and get stuff done without having to wrestle with the OS (or indeed knowing how).
That may become less true as more people find MS's bully tactics in forcing the user to give up ever more control in the name of being "User Friendly". Every Windows release takes more basic programs away in favour of purchase from the, in program, Windows store. Updates have long since been a thing less about security than ramming changes the user may not want. In 10, the first 3 updates removed apps I had paid good money for! I would reinstall and they would remove at the next up date. Many updates are so buggy you can not use the PC, Blue Screen of death happened to me once and I nearly had heart failure. I may be spoiled, my first PC was an Apple 2C, much of what you might have wanted to do had to be coded in house but the user had full control, month by month, computing has become much more user friendly but each step of the way user control was traded off for simplicity and supplying MS with lots of saleable, free data. I still remember my shock when I brought home a new PC, started setting it up and was told 'You must connect to the internet to finish setting up'. The message being that we will not allow you to use a PC in house, you MUST pay for an internet server. There comes a breaking point where the learning curve is well worth being able to say Phuk Microsoft!
JTemple
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JTemple »

AndyMH wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:39 am
The four issues with LM20 I've found to date are:
  • display issues on external monitor to laptop - fixable with xrandr.
  • chromium - well documented with work-arounds.
  • encfs-manager - ppa doesn't support focal.
  • shutter - no longer in repos, but a potential fix (not tried it) with a ppa (post at the end of the thread). Yes I know there are alternatives like ksnip, I like shutter.
https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxmint/comm ... ternative/
I replaced Shutter with the following codes:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:linuxuprising/shutter
apt update
apt install shutter
JTemple
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JTemple »

Barbados99 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:48 pm
deepakdeshp wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:16 pm
Portreve wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:05 pm
My only issues with LM 20 is it still hasn't deposited several million dollars in my bank account, nor has it cured my male pattern baldness. So, I'm really pissed of with the developers for those obvious and glaring bugs.
Really nice one, on the same note I am unhappy because LM 20 doesn't do the dishes ,wipe and sweep the floor.
I'm glad I'm not the only one upset. There are some potholes in the street by my house. Clem should have fixed 'em by now :-)
Well, I'm waiting for LM to provide all of the above and shovel my driveway come winter. ( MPB is not an issue for me. I'll give Clem a break on that one.)
JTemple
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JTemple »

smurphos wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:39 am
JTemple wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:54 am
Once I have used the password to log in I would like PC to accept I am the same administrator that logged in and not ask again unless I shut down and boot up again. Finally, it keeps reverting to local files when I am trying to transfer docs from an external drive into home folders. I am forced to drag files to the desk top to open them in desktop and then I can drag to the appropriate home folder and delete the redundant desktop item . It is a very inefficient way of working with files!
I would LOVE! to go password free!
For the lock screen issue and it asking for you password you just need to configure your Screensaver and Power settings. In Screensaver disable locking the computer when the screensaver starts, and locking the computer when it goes to sleep.

Try dual pane view in the File manager for moving your files around.

Not requiring password to authenticate elevated privileges?

For sudo -https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootS ... t_For_sudo

For pkexec this single copy paste command should do it.

Code: Select all

sudo tee /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/nopassword.pkla <<'EOB'
[No password prompt]
Identity=unix-group:sudo
Action=*
ResultActive=yes
EOB
I fixed it right after you made that same suggestion prior. BUT thanks again. I have been quite happy since applying your answer.
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

I've been using LM 20 since June 27, and it's still running strong. No problems to report.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

The noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
— Dr. Lawrence J. Peter
DarrowAtreides
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DarrowAtreides »

Mint20 was my first linux install since the early 2000s. Have had basically no issues on my Dell inspiron netbook, an HP2000 notebook and a optiplex 130. The optiplex is pushing the limits of minimum requirements but its still 1000x better than windows.

Only issue I have had is one usb wifi dongle not being recognized. But I replaced it with a wiPi and that worked without issue.
joaooswaldo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joaooswaldo »

I had to switch to pop_os for two reasons I couldn't solve at all in Linux Mint 20 which was very annoying. :(

The first one was the fans going crazy when I was using the notebook plugged in (Acer Nitro 5), with that, also a small increase of temperature. Regardless of what I was doing, the behavior was the same. It was just to turn on the laptop and the fans started to work really loud.

The second one was related to the battery. I had an under average experience with the battery life when I was using it just to check e-mail and stuff like that, light usage, and less than 2:30h even with the GTX turned off.

I tried to apply some fixes that I found here, but I'm coming from windows, I wanted a nice experience out of the box cause I still have to learn a lot of things about Linux and the fans were absolutely annoying...

I'm writing this cause i really enjoyed Linux mint itself, and if at least the fans were normal, I would've stayed in Mint cause I think is faster than POP with a lot of apps . It's very pleasant to use, maybe I just had bad luck. I'll try to install it on another pc, but on my main laptop, it didn't work out so well. Unfortunately, cause i like Mint's cinammon better than Pop's gnome experience.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

joaooswaldo wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:00 am
I tried to apply some fixes that I found here, but I'm coming from windows, I wanted a nice experience out of the box cause I still have to learn a lot of things about Linux and the fans were absolutely annoying...
And yet you never asked a question about this. That's a shame, we might have been able to help. Next time, give us a chance, maybe? Instead of throwing in the towel, and feeling that you 'had' to.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
antikythera
Level 8
Level 8

Post by antikythera »

I concur, installing the right nvidia driver, using lm-sensors properly and manipulation of tlp settings work wonders as does a little persistence from the user.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

joaooswaldo wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:00 am
I had to switch to pop_os for two reasons I couldn't solve at all in Linux Mint 20 which was very annoying. :(
I would "second" that suggestion that you let people here on the message forum try to help you with any issues that crop up with Mint. This Mint forum here is a powerful resource that is available for you to tap into. I'm not an IT person so I do need help from time to time (no matter what OS I'm using). Regarding your overheating and poor battery life, I did experience that too. I am using Mint 20 XFCE on a laptop that also was running hot, and like your laptop it had poor battery life. BTW, it's the laptop I am using to type this reply right now. But now the temps have been reduced about 25-30 degrees C and the battery life has increased from ~2.5 hours to 5-7 hours. I'm not saying my problem is the same as what you experienced. But the folks here can be very helpful in getting your particular problem sorted out if you give them a chance. This forum is the #1 reason why I use Mint. I just like knowing that I have exceptional support here when needed.

You may find this article helpful regarding your particular issues:
https://itsfoss.com/reduce-overheating-laptops-linux/

I used TLP and CPUfreq and in my particular case I use the power saving mode most of the time (I can switch that to performance easily if needed). As I said, I'm not an IT guy so probably shouldn't be giving advice to anyone... but this did work for me with significant heat reduction and increased battery life. And I don't have to listen to the noisy fan now.
My homemade daily-driver:
Mint 20 XFCE - Mint 20 LMDE4 Cinnamon - EndeavourOS XFCE - EndeavourOS i3
Ryzen 5 3600 - GeForce GTX 1660 - BenQ 27"
1TB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 - and a lot of old parts from the scrap pile
Ringel05
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ringel05 »

I had nothing but problems and wasted an entire day. First upgraded to LM 20, almost nothing would work, tried to restore my saved image, failed. Downloaded LM20 and burned onto a thumb drive, did a fresh install and again, processes and packages not working or loading, etc. Finally did a clean reinstall of 19.03 and haven't looked back. I will not be loading LM 20 on this machine until every single bug is worked out, if they are not then maybe Kubuntu......... Too bad, I really like Linux Mint.
System:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
RAM: GSkill DDR4 8GB
GPU: GeForce GTX 770
Storage: NVMe 500GB
PSU: Roswill HIVE 850W
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

Ringel05 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:16 am
I had nothing but problems and wasted an entire day. First upgraded to LM 20, almost nothing would work, tried to restore my saved image, failed. Downloaded LM20 and burned onto a thumb drive, did a fresh install and again, processes and packages not working or loading, etc. Finally did a clean reinstall of 19.03 and haven't looked back. I will not be loading LM 20 on this machine until every single bug is worked out, if they are not then maybe Kubuntu......... Too bad, I really like Linux Mint.
Pity that you are getting these problems. Millions of users like me are satisfied with Mint 20.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

Ringel05 wrote:
That sounds like a nightmare experience. Sorry to hear you had to go through that. After reading about the experiences of people who had troubles with Mint 20 it seems like there are real risks of having problems upgrading. It does sound like most clean installs are successful though. My random thoughts are that I don't think I will ever go the "upgrade" route, and just do clean installs. I realize that you had issues even with the 2nd attempt here with a clean install. After thinking about this, I am going to spend more time booting into the new live session for testing my setup with the new Mint & just checking that everything does work right before I do a clean install in the future. And maybe it would be safest to not jump in with each new Mint version until it is at the first "point release" as in Mint 20.1 or so. These LTS releases are good for 5 years, so waiting 6-months before installing a point release (with a clean install) isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

I wonder why it failed with your particular setup though. One of the 4 machines I loaded Mint 20 on, is somewhat similar to your Ryzen 5 machine. I'm lucky because it worked fine on my machine... but I realize our hardware is not the same even though somewhat similar. Anyway, I would have been sick when that saved image failed on you. It sounds like it was a perfect storm of failure for you.
My homemade daily-driver:
Mint 20 XFCE - Mint 20 LMDE4 Cinnamon - EndeavourOS XFCE - EndeavourOS i3
Ryzen 5 3600 - GeForce GTX 1660 - BenQ 27"
1TB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 - and a lot of old parts from the scrap pile
Ringel05
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ringel05 »

Barbados99 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:17 am
Ringel05 wrote:
That sounds like a nightmare experience. Sorry to hear you had to go through that. After reading about the experiences of people who had troubles with Mint 20 it seems like there are real risks of having problems upgrading. It does sound like most clean installs are successful though. My random thoughts are that I don't think I will ever go the "upgrade" route, and just do clean installs. I realize that you had issues even with the 2nd attempt here with a clean install. After thinking about this, I am going to spend more time booting into the new live session for testing my setup with the new Mint & just checking that everything does work right before I do a clean install in the future. And maybe it would be safest to not jump in with each new Mint version until it is at the first "point release" as in Mint 20.1 or so. These LTS releases are good for 5 years, so waiting 6-months before installing a point release (with a clean install) isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

I wonder why it failed with your particular setup though. One of the 4 machines I loaded Mint 20 on, is somewhat similar to your Ryzen 5 machine. I'm lucky because it worked fine on my machine... but I realize our hardware is not the same even though somewhat similar. Anyway, I would have been sick when that saved image failed on you. It sounds like it was a perfect storm of failure for you.
I had read that sometimes the ISOs on some thumb drives were having problems, could have been the software. I used Rufus on a Windows machine to burn the ISO, not the first time, the 9.03 ISO was burned the exact same way on the same machine using Rufus so who knows what the problem was with the clean install. I'm one who likes things to work right out of the box and hate spending hours to fix something that should work from the get-go, I have too many other things occupying my time
System:
Ringel05
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ringel05 »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:39 am
Ringel05 wrote:
Pity that you are getting these problems. Millions of users like me are satisfied with Mint 20.
And I'm happy for them but reading through topics you'll see many people having some kind of problem with LM 20 installs. This is the first time I've every run into this with Linux Mint, every time before it just worked. Like I said I'll probably try it again later, 6 months to a year down the road, if I still have problems I'll switch to a KDE interface.
System:
antikythera
Level 8
Level 8

Post by antikythera »

Etcher is more reliable than Rufus for future reference.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
JTemple
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JTemple »

For a clean install of LM20 I used the format program on LM19.3. The whole thing went off without a hitch and LM20 and I are getting on well.
MartyMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MartyMint »

antikythera wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:49 pm
Etcher is more reliable than Rufus for future reference.
I use Etcher for all my Raspberry Pi needs. It works great.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”