Folding@Home

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Folding@Home

Post by greerd »

Good, now you'll be pumping out the points!

Yea that looks about normal for me too, GPU utilization ~97-99%, and not a lot of memory used. You right about the heat, mine is an MSI and the default is to leave the fans at zero until 60 C, so I've added coolbits and run a python script I found here.

Note GPU takes one core for control so even if you stop all core WU and only run a GPU WU, ~13% of you processor will still be used.( on 4 threaded cores)

Yes I can still do the normal stuff like browsing but I have to 'pause' if I'm streaming youtube or such (i7 920 showing its age I guess). Pausing releases FAHClients hold on the Nvidia so games etc can be played with out stopping the service.

It'll be interesting to see you much better the 980 is,
Cheers
powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Post by powerwagon75 »

Did some experimenting. Had my son play one of his games (War Thunder) while CPU and GPU folding was going on.

Results were:

* GPU temp-- virtually no change. Flicked up/down a degree a little more often, but that was it.
* CPU temp-- a couple degrees warmer than it was averaging (was averaging around 65C)
* CPU %-- went from 91~93% to 97~102 percent, but most ran at 97-98%
* GPU stats-- forgot to set Nvidia to the correct tab prior to gaming, and clicking on it minimizes the game, so didn't check. I would say based on no temperature change though, that it was working comfortably within its operating range yet.
* Game Performance: No perceivable difference, with regards to latency and fps.

I'd have to say I am happy with this build, and with Linux Mint in general. I don't see myself ever moving away from Linux OS's at this point-- a joy to use a system that just works and does what I ask it, when I ask it.
Custom Antec Outside tower w/Mint 20.2
HP lap w/Mint 20.3
Optiplex 960 "Frankenbox" w/Fedora 39/Mint 19.2/Mint 20.2
Advantech TPC-1551T w/LinuxLite
Acer C720 Chromebook w/GalliumOS
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Just come across this in the chrome web store, and decided to try it out on my chromey.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... o?hl=en-US

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B58jzJ ... sp=sharing
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

I think mine is set up wrong. My r9 280x is working a 5900 score WU and its total run time will be 3 days.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

Citizen229 wrote:I think mine is set up wrong. My r9 280x is working a 5900 score WU and its total run time will be 3 days.
Is it a GPU WU your running?, I was under the impression that a Radeon-Linux combo wouldn't work for GPU WU's. I don't do CPU WU's except when I first started because that was the default. The few CPU WUs I did get were no where near as efficient as GPU WUs, something along the lines of what your getting although they were much smaller units.

EDIT: I was thinking 59000, not 5900, so that looks like a CPU WU. GPU WUs have to be explicitly configured and of course the card would have to be seen by FAHControl. You could check in the System Info tab.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

ok so how do i make it fetch a GPU WU? Drop cpu folding?

Edit ahh ok i see they have a specific program for GPu's and its pretty much windows only. hmm vm?
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

Citizen229 wrote:ok so how do i make it fetch a GPU WU?
If your card doesn't show as registered in the system info, I think your out of luck as far as GPU goes. Hopefully with AMD finally starting to include Linux drivers again, F@H will takes advantage of it.

From folding.stanford.edu, no Linux support mentioned.
5xxx/6xxx/7xxx/8xxx AMD Video Card, or newer
AMD Driver v14.x driver or newer
Windows operating system, Vista or newer
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Im using the fglrx drivers from hardware managers. the card shows up as a tahiti 7970( thats what it is:P) in the fahcontrol gui. So fah does recognize the gpu.
Running cpu and gpu, the gpu speed seemed to not matter if i used 3 or 4 threads dedicated to cpu. FX-4350 @4.2ghtz
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Ok got my gpu grinding on a win partition. I think im due for a gpu upgrade. this r9 280x is quite the power sucker at 250w TDP. Im eyeballing 3 cards.
rx480- lower tdp and more ppd not the best at anything
gtx1070- lower tdp and more ppd than rx 480.
1050ti- same PPD as 280x but only 75w

might just have to wait for amd next gpu launch and see if drivers sorted out by then.
TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TeaSwigger »

Hello, I'd like to contribute to the effort. It's installed and up and running. I have 1 thing hopefully helpful to add here and 1 thing I'd like help with if I may.

Installing the gui controller, I ran into this issue:
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2322762
FAHControl couldn't be installed owing to missing python-control dependency in Mint 18 .
The solution provided in that link (pointing to a package working in but removed from ubuntu 16.04 / Mint 18.x) works - for now.
Hope this helps anyone encountering the issue.

If possible, I'd like to employ the CPU and GPU cores of my PC. Is it possible at present? If so, how? Searching provided confusing results, what with AMD dropping catalyst, the switch to the other drivers in 18 and all that. Here is the relevant inxi:

Code: Select all

System:    Host: teaswigger Kernel: 4.8.0-42-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.2.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.2)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: A88X-PLUS/USB 3.1 v: Rev X.0x
           Bios: American Megatrends v: 0211 date: 03/07/2016
CPU:       Dual core AMD A10-7700K Radeon R7 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 13599
           clock speeds: max: 3400 MHz 1: 2400 MHz 2: 2400 MHz 3: 3400 MHz
           4: 3400 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Kaveri [Radeon R7 Graphics]
           bus-ID: 00:01.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 driver: radeon
           Resolution: 1920x1200@59.95hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD KAVERI (DRM 2.46.0 / 4.8.0-42-generic, LLVM 3.8.0)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 12.0.6 Direct Rendering: Yes 
(btw, strange inxi calls it a "Dual core" when, as it goes on to specify, it's a quad core.)
“You can make a strong business case for equality but not everyone wants to hear it.” - Prof. Kate Pickett

Mint 20.2 xfce w/nemo - AMD A10 7700K APU - spdif to Bifrost DAC - Dell U2415
some favs: Zim, deadbeef, kid3, gimp, artha, deluge, handbrake, mc
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

Hi TeaSwigger,

I think that the FAHClient comes default with cpu folding only, at least on mine (but it didn't recognize my gtx card right away). The gpu can be enabled from within the FAHControl gui via Configure > Slots > Add, but I think your SOL with AMD GPU folding on Linux:(

I read your inxi as two hyper threaded cores?

Happy Folding
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

You will not be able to fold with AMD card on linux ATM. Believe me I tried! I run dual boot for D3 so it was no issue for me.

But hey if you just run your CPU, You wont have a power gobbling monster like I am running right now.

FX4350-125wTDP
R9280x-250wTDP
TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TeaSwigger »

Think I found the FAHControl option to enable the GPU and tried it - it says "ready" but won't do anything. Log shows this repeating:

Code: Select all

13:38:50:WU01:FS01:Running FahCore: /usr/bin/FAHCoreWrapper /var/lib/fahclient/cores/fahwebx.stanford.edu/cores/Linux/AMD64/ATI/R600/Core_21.fah/FahCore_21 -dir 01 -suffix 01 -version 704 -lifeline 1499 -checkpoint 15 -gpu 0 -gpu-vendor ati
13:38:50:WU01:FS01:Started FahCore on PID 4357
13:38:50:WU01:FS01:Core PID:4361
13:38:50:WU01:FS01:FahCore 0x21 started
13:38:50:WARNING:WU01:FS01:FahCore returned: UNKNOWN_ENUM (127 = 0x7f)
13:38:50:WARNING:WU01:FS01:Too many errors, failing
13:38:50:WU01:FS01:Sending unit results: id:01 state:SEND error:FAILED
Citizen229, I know what you mean. The 2nd PC I have around here is a 125w Phenom, add its graphics card and yikes. This A10 is faster yet takes a lot less juice. Some of the recent intel processors amaze me. It's nice to know some things these days are getting better. I'll look at the lack of AMD GPU support for folding on the bright side. :)
greerd wrote:I read your inxi as two hyper threaded cores?
Strange, isn't it? Maybe it's a bug. According to AMD:
AMD A10-7700K - http://products.amd.com/en-us/search/AP ... 7-Series/8
It's a 4 core CPU and 6 core GPU. FAHControl says "cpu: 4." Even the task manager shows 4 CPU cores are at work. The PC and Mint are working great.

Thanks for the replies, greerd and Citizen229.
“You can make a strong business case for equality but not everyone wants to hear it.” - Prof. Kate Pickett

Mint 20.2 xfce w/nemo - AMD A10 7700K APU - spdif to Bifrost DAC - Dell U2415
some favs: Zim, deadbeef, kid3, gimp, artha, deluge, handbrake, mc
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

CPU:4 means that task is using 4 cores or 4 threads.

Yeah the best I could get my fx to fold was about 4k ppd. The wifes laptop with i3 at 2.6 could do 8k ppd. one day I will have a 65w TDP ryzen, and will try cpu folding again.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Dont forget ..... After 10 WU get a passkey. on your control panel click configure->Identity tab. the link will get you set up with a passkey.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

I dont know how I found this site. However I do think it is absolutely fabulous. Its one gigantic statistical tracking spreadsheet.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/

The stats show we could use more folks GPU folding. We are gaining in PPD versus alot of teams, but they are just so far ahead in points it will take months-years to catch up.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

Citizen229 wrote:I dont know how I found this site. However I do think it is absolutely fabulous. Its one gigantic statistical tracking spreadsheet.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/

The stats show we could use more folks GPU folding. We are gaining in PPD versus alot of teams, but they are just so far ahead in points it will take months-years to catch up.
That's what I use, and I'll guess you have just passed 66,000 points? If you look on page one of either the all teams or all users stats, we'll never catch them, unless we get a couple of server rooms setup. The first place team is averaging approx. 184 million ppd, wow!
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Being number 1 will never happen. Thats a given. with what we have now we will hit a big wall at rank 390 here in a few months. I am fairly certain we have a few folks here with gtx 1070 and 1080. getting some of them onboard would be awesome. Even if they only grind a few days a week. I still want to replace my power sucking r9 card.

I want to build a media pc to my my gaming rig off the tv. Im thinking a 1050 will nbe its driver, and then I want something way more efficient for my rig. Probably a 1070( 100w lessat full load.)

I run a 750w gold PSU so I do have room to expand. Especially If I go ryzen and lower from 125w to 65w on the cpu. The cpu draw drop pretty much lets me run a 1050 gpu for free in terms of meter spin versus fx chip. I dont fold the fx chip its just not worth it.Some are claiming 150k ppd from ryzens.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”