New Nemo in Mint 20

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
mdslkgnv
Level 1
Level 1

New Nemo in Mint 20

Post by mdslkgnv »

Hello everyone.
Nemo 4.6.4 in linux mint 20 (cinnamon) is good in some aspect but not in others.
I just installed mint 20 (I was still on 18.3 before) ans tested a bunch of things. Among them is nemo. I often use nemo to navigate between many folders with quite a few pictures in each (usually between 20 and 100, sometimes more than 500).
The new nemo is indeed more responsive in folders with many pictures (or with other folders in it) when you open them, and it uses much less ram (maybe 4 or 5 times). But that last only some time, after navigating through a few folders, the snappiness of nemo drops drastically.
For example, I’m in a folder inspecting pictures, and change folders about 10 times. Now if I continue, I open a picture to have a full view (more detailed than the nemo preview), but when I close the picture and go back to browsing the folder, I must wait, sometimes up to 2 or 3 seconds, just to scroll down (or change directories) in nemo. Granted it is not “much” but my workflow takes a hit, and it is a bit frustrating.
There is the solution of killing the nemo process of course, but you have to re-open everything and start again, so...
Basically I don’t really understand why such a change. In mint 18.3, yes nemo took more RAM (quickly about 1GB for the same work I was doing), but it was responsive, and I have the impression that I could navigate to maybe 10 times more pictures before feeling a slow down.
Moreover, when a nemo window was loading the content of a folder in the old nemo, you could still use another window or tab. With the new one, if it begins to load in a tab, I feel like all nemo windows and tabs need to wait, preventing browsing something else. I also had crashes with nemo, which did not really happen in the previous version if I recall correctly.
To me, Mint (and Nemo) is not (for) a lightweight distribution, so taking a bit of RAM is not really a problem. Hence, it feels like the new Nemo is better when you start to use it, but in some cases (after some navigation) it becomes dull.
In conclusion, a win on one side, but a loss on the other.
So I was wondering if others experienced the same thing ?

Without Details : Nemo is fast at first, but can become very tedious to use when browsing many pictures.

Kadaitcha Man
Level 8
Level 8

Re: New Nemo in Mint 20

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

mdslkgnv wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:26 pm
So I was wondering if others experienced the same thing ?
Not here, and I don't have 50 or 100 images in a single folder, I have tens of thousands, and hundreds of folders.

Nemo is a general purpose file manager that also manages the desktop so by definition it must be all things to all people. You might be able to get some benefits by trying dedicated file managers that don't have to do things that Nemo must do. There are many different file managers in the repositories... s3dfm, emelfm2, xfe, doublecmd, mc ... and many more in ppas and on github.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

Hi @mdslkgnv,
Welcome to the Mint forums--glad to have you join in.
+1 on using double commander
Also I have not seen problems with Nemo as you are reporting.
Curious, have you tried the other Mint desktops Xfce and MATE?
They use different file managers and you may find them to your liking.
libera ab tyrannis

mdslkgnv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mdslkgnv »

@Kadaitcha Man & @all41
I have not tried other desktops with mint (although I tried other distribution), as I really like cinnamon, but I will try different file managers for when I have to manage pictures.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”