Cross posting from the Manjaro forum

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
fmfoo
Level 1
Level 1

Cross posting from the Manjaro forum

Post by fmfoo »

This was at the request from one of the board members. Thought it might be of interest here.

Since i posted one or her friends migrated to Mint on her own. These girls are not very computer literate so it says a lot to the quality of the documentation out there.

Last night I migrated a laptop from Win10 to Mint. Was supposed to be Manjaro Xfce but I couldn't get wifi to work in the time I had available so I tried Mint Xfce and had no problems.

I'm in Asia and this was for an FDW - foreign domestic worker, basically think modern slavery and you'll get the idea. To give some perspective the laptop was an aging Lenovo bought second hand for 2 months of her salary. These girls send most of their income home to support their families so a massive outlay for her. She has some Youtube thing going and Win10 on the hardware wasn't performing very well and it seems she didn't have a Win license.

Anyway Mint was running quickly and she was happy. A day later and she wasn't just happy, she was excited and told all her Youtube followers as much. She also filmed the migration so I guess a future Youtube video. I've since had several requests from her friends to do the same upgrade. A few hours of my time is nothing given how these girls live and survive. I really hope I'm starting something here and hope her friends follow her lead. For what they need Linux is perfect.

Next step is helping her with her 23k of unread mail.
pnin
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cross posting from the Manjaro forum

Post by pnin »

Great illustration of the power of Free/Libre software to positively impact people's lives. Thanks for sharing. 8)
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Thanks from me as well. I am a member on the Manjaro Forums but hardly ever post there (even though I use Manjaro KDE as a daily driver) as I struggle with the site's format.

My presence is justified here I suppose, as I do use Mint as well albeit usually remotely, on my media machine. It's also going back on the server when I get round to fixing it (likely Mint 20 Xfce 64-Bit). :mrgreen:

A YouTube link might be nice for anyone interested. ;)
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...
oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oldgranola »

Ya I'm on Manjaro forums too but didn't see the youtube, please post a link. I use Manjaro KDE and XFCE on some machines but LM cinnamon mostly at home.
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
fmfoo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fmfoo »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ajCWNumBYY

This is her first LS using Mint, she talks a little about moving to Linux at the start from about the 6 min mark. You will need to understand taglog :D

If she posts a migration video I'll share.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

most folks do seem to have joined more than the one Linux Forum,
as they looked at the various versions of the Linux System.
- - coming from the World of Windows, they are really amazed at what is out there.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

BG405 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:48 pm
Thanks from me as well. I am a member on the Manjaro Forums but hardly ever post there (even though I use Manjaro KDE as a daily driver) as I struggle with the site's format.

My presence is justified here I suppose, as I do use Mint as well albeit usually remotely, on my media machine. It's also going back on the server when I get round to fixing it (likely Mint 20 Xfce 64-Bit). :mrgreen:

A YouTube link might be nice for anyone interested. ;)
I switched to KDE neon for most of machines but still run Mint XFCE on a few laptops. I spend more time here than anyway than other forums, since the technical level of knowledge is higher here.
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Pierre wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:53 pm
most folks do seem to have joined more than the one Linux Forum,
as they looked at the various versions of the Linux System.
- - coming from the World of Windows, they are really amazed at what is out there.
8)
I have had accounts on other distro forums myself. I don't know how many of those accounts still exist, though one of them was shuttered when I was kicked off. (Was kann ich sagen? Ich bin nicht jedermanns Tasse Tee. :lol: )
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire
detimo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by detimo »

Interesting to see how open source software affects lives in Asia. I saw something about slavery in Dubai, but don't know if it's the same story. Which country are you in op?

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”