My time has come :(

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Baldlygo
Level 3
Level 3

My time has come :(

Post by Baldlygo »

I've been a Mint fan ever since my first install which was Mint 10 I think. I've stayed on 17.3 since upgrade to 18 was not possible. This last year I have experienced a few minor quirks but nothing so serious to abandon my much loved collection of apps. With increasing things I can't upgrade or install I think the time has come to install Mint 20. I know it will be painful for a while but I think the time has come. Would I be right in thinking that with Mint 20 I would be able to run all apps that I have been able to run with past versions?
Dell Inspiron R15 - Mint 20 "Ulyana" - Cinnamon (64-bit)
Kadaitcha Man
Level 11
Level 11

Re: My time has come :(

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

Baldlygo wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:43 am
Would I be right in thinking that with Mint 20 I would be able to run all apps that I have been able to run with past versions?
How would anyone know? Some applications have been removed and some have been added, but you can use a search engine with your application names here: https://packages.ubuntu.com . You'll soon find out if they're available or not. If your machine is old then you may have other troubles before you get to working out what applications you're going to install.
Coming to a thread near you: Lots of bragging about my AMD 5950X. Currently delayed due to high demand.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
wallyUSA
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wallyUSA »

Baldlygo wrote:
... Would I be right in thinking that with Mint 20 I would be able to run all apps that I have been able to run with past versions?
Probably not. If you do a fresh install, some (a few) programs are no longer available and some may not be ready for LM20. There may be other ways to install the missing programs or there be better alternative apps available. I have a few of my favorites (I keep a list) that I look for immediately after a fresh install.

If you have specific app questions, post on the forum and maybe someone can help you.

Good luck!
Ulyana 20 Cinnamon 4.6.7 Kernel 5.4.0-54 (64 bit). {Dell XPS 13}

Please, if your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions.
zshlover
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zshlover »

Baldlygo wrote:
I've been a Mint fan ever since my first install which was Mint 10 I think. I've stayed on 17.3 since upgrade to 18 was not possible. This last year I have experienced a few minor quirks but nothing so serious to abandon my much loved collection of apps. With increasing things I can't upgrade or install I think the time has come to install Mint 20. I know it will be painful for a while but I think the time has come. Would I be right in thinking that with Mint 20 I would be able to run all apps that I have been able to run with past versions?
Apps get bug fixes, use new versions of libraries (building blocks for apps). So when you have an old version of an app, that may not work on a newer system. I'm not sure why you want to run old software.

But, all popular apps still work. So if you want to use Firefox, Chromium or other apps like that, you can be sure they work.
Learn Python: pythonspot.com, pyqt
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

what it would pay to do, is to download an ISO for the LM20 series,
and have an play with it .. install it within an VirtualBox on your current LinuxMint 18, if you can.
- at least .. have an play with the Live Version to see what the changes have been.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Baldlygo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Baldlygo »

Thanks for the encouragement folks. I downloaded and ran LM20 Cinnamon DVD on my 8 year old Dell. Everything looked fine as I browsed the Web and my local network. I need to backup my home directory and then go for a new install. I have so many packages/apps downloaded over the years I've probably forgotten 90% of them so it will be good to start afresh.

One problem I have had with Mint is that it has worked so well that when I do have a problem to solve I've forgotten how it was fixed last time. :D
Dell Inspiron R15 - Mint 20 "Ulyana" - Cinnamon (64-bit)
Hugh Neutron
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hugh Neutron »

Baldlygo wrote:
I am studying a tool called CDE Application virtualizer, it makes it very easy to port old software to newer distros via static linking. What software did not make the cut from 14.04, that you need to port? You can run CDE in a virtual box and port the software via static linking.
always wanting to learn more about Linux. It saved me from the Windows 10 telemetry and SAAS nightmare.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Baldlygo wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:00 am
One problem I have had with Mint is that it has worked so well that when I do have a problem to solve I've forgotten how it was fixed last time. :D
You and me both! :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

Baldlygo wrote:
Thanks for the encouragement folks. I downloaded and ran LM20 Cinnamon DVD on my 8 year old Dell. Everything looked fine as I browsed the Web and my local network. I need to backup my home directory and then go for a new install. I have so many packages/apps downloaded over the years I've probably forgotten 90% of them so it will be good to start afresh.

You are in for a treat. And while it's some extra work doing a fresh install, I like the feeling of having everything new with a clean install. Like you, I sometimes install stuff and then forget I even have it on the computer. LOL, it's kind of like cleaning out my garage at my home when I get rid of the old stuff. It feels good after the work :-)

Good luck.
My homemade daily-driver:
Mint 20 XFCE - Mint 20 LMDE4 Cinnamon - EndeavourOS XFCE - EndeavourOS i3
Ryzen 5 3600 - GeForce GTX 1660 - BenQ 27"
1TB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 - and a lot of old parts from the scrap pile
Shadow in Fire
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shadow in Fire »

I was in that situation with 18.3, but I only held on because I don't like being forced to use Systemd. If I could've used Runit or another init with GNU/Linux Mint, I would have stayed, since I'm tired of dealing with Poetteringcrap (e.g. PulseAudio, Avahi). That's when I decided it was time to move on and install Devuan.

I'm glad the developers rejected Snap, but the damage had already been done with letting Red Hat crap infest itself on most GNU/Linux distros.
AndyMH
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AndyMH »

Baldlygo wrote:
I have so many packages/apps downloaded over the years I've probably forgotten 90% of them so it will be good to start afresh.
I learnt that lesson moving from LM17.3 to LM18.0. Now I have a simple text file with a launcher on the desktop - every time I make a change, I make a date/timestamped note of it. Works!
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”