If Mint did decide to migrate the main edition to LMDE...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

If Mint did decide to migrate the main edition to LMDE...

Post by Barbados99 »

I am trying to get my head around what it would entail, if Mint would decide at some point to end using the upstream source of Canonical/Ubuntu and instead make LMDE their flagship main version of Mint.

1. How would that affect the Mint team's workload responsibilities? More, less, about the same? Does the fact that Mint leverages work done by upstream Canonical/Ubuntu mean that there is significantly more work involved with producing a polished Mint Cinnamon type release from LMDE? Would it be more demanding of the Mint team if they did not have the benefit of Canonical/Ubuntu?

2. I've wondered about the timeline requirement for Mint to truly sever the Canonical/Ubuntu offering and exclusively offer LMDE? I understand they already have LMDE, but I'm talking about having an offering as polished as what they have now with their main Mint/Cinnamon flagship edition of Mint. Could they do this say by Mint 21 release, or would this take years to accomplish?

3. What would be the main issues that the Mint team would have to deal with if they truly migrated everything to an LMDE based offering?
My homemade daily-driver:
Mint 20 XFCE - Mint 20 LMDE4 Cinnamon - EndeavourOS XFCE - EndeavourOS i3
Ryzen 5 3600 - GeForce GTX 1660 - BenQ 27"
1TB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 - and a lot of old parts from the scrap pile
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Re: If Mint did decide to migrate the main edition to LMDE...

Post by Barbados99 »

I just viewed the LMDE vs Linux Mint by DistroWars that came out in March of this year. It sounds like the Mint team has these two releases very close to providing the same user experience (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nnU5ntuY5k). So maybe the change to LMDE as the main edition would be to include the Mate and XFCE versions. As far as software offerings is there much difference between the LMDE and Mint resources that are available? If so, then is it a major change to provide LMDE with the options available in the main edition?

It sounds like dropping Canonical/Ubuntu's upstream to focus on LMDE exclusively, isn't that big of a deal. I'm sure I'm missing something here, but what? I am very curious about this.
Swampthing
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Swampthing »

I'm curious as well, maybe I'll install LMDE on my backup laptop and take a look.
Or maybe do it via virtualbox.
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

1. How would that affect the Mint team's workload responsibilities? More, less, about the same?

About the same

2. I've wondered about the timeline requirement for Mint to truly sever the Canonical/Ubuntu offering and exclusively offer LMDE? I understand they already have LMDE, but I'm talking about having an offering as polished as what they have now with their main Mint/Cinnamon flagship edition of Mint.

It is as polished already, okay a couple of Linux Mint's own packages are missing but it should be relatively painless to backport them to support Debian Buster libraries instead of Focal Fossa.

3. What would be the main issues that the Mint team would have to deal with if they truly migrated everything to an LMDE based offering?

Tasks - Creating and testing XFCE and MATE ISOs, plus a hardware driver and alternate kernel installer GUI.
Backlash from the user community?
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiggler
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wiggler »

Only the official Mint creators can answer this with total assurance.

I've been wondering the same, a bit concerned about the distro future due to recent moves of Canonical.

I don't think Canonical would stop pushing snaps soon :?

I wouldn't stop using Mint if it goes full Debian, but they would need to improve driver support.
hydrurga
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hydrurga »

I'd miss PPAs. Also, if Mint were based on Stable, the software would probably get staler than Ubuntu's does between LTS releases because of Debian's extensive testing process.
old_noob
Level 2
Level 2

Post by old_noob »

I expect it would be a lot like MX Linux, but with Cinnamon and Mate DE offerings.
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

hydrurga wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:04 pm
I'd miss PPAs. Also, if Mint were based on Stable, the software would probably get staler than Ubuntu's does between LTS releases because of Debian's extensive testing process.
That seems to be what a number of people don't like about Debian. But maybe with Flatpaks people could upgrade some of their software. I realize that is not ideal. But Ubuntu software isn't the "latest and greatest" either. But I get it, that Debian may be even older software.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

Barbados99 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:46 am
But maybe with Flatpaks people could upgrade some of their software.
Learning how to compile and install from source code is very difficult. It goes like this, assuming build-essential has been installed previously:

Code: Select all

cd source.dir
make
sudo make install
If you want to get really flashy, you can use all the threads on your 12 core hyper-threading CPU...

cd source.dir
make -j24
sudo make install
Coming to a thread near you: Lots of bragging about my AMD 5950X. Currently delayed due to high demand.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:52 am
Barbados99 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:46 am
But maybe with Flatpaks people could upgrade some of their software.
Learning how to compile and install from source code is very difficult. It goes like this, assuming build-essential has been installed previously:

cd source.dir
make
sudo make install
If you want to get really flashy, you can use all the threads on your 12 core hyper-threading CPU...

cd source.dir
make -j24
sudo make install
A little bit simplified. You are assuming the user never encounters an error due to a missing library.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

mr_raider wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:08 am
A little bit simplified. You are assuming the user never encounters an error due to a missing library.
No. I deliberately sidestepped it. Clearly I need to practice my sleight of hand.
Coming to a thread near you: Lots of bragging about my AMD 5950X. Currently delayed due to high demand.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

old_noob wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:12 pm
I expect it would be a lot like MX Linux, but with Cinnamon and Mate DE offerings.
And if Mint made LMDE their flagship offering with 100% of their resources focused on it - and dropped Canonical/Ubuntu, I'll bet the Mint team could produce a stellar Debian-based distro better than MX Linux.

EDIT: I don't know anything about MX Linux other than it's very very popular right now.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Shadow in Fire
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shadow in Fire »

If that happened, that would be a lot better than relying on Canonical's Ubuntu as the default. You do have more technical flexibility with a Debian base, since non-free software isn't enabled by default. You might need to enable that in the repositories to get a certain driver or two working, but otherwise, it has less of a memory footprint than Ubuntu or other bloated crap.

I would highly recommend Devuan, since it literally IS Debian (forked by former developers and others who protested Systemd's forced inclusion since Jessie, which is Debian 8), only without Systemd as init. You can use the default SysVinit that ships with the distro, or else try (for the time being) OpenRC or Runit (since Beowulf, which is Devuan 10 and based on Buster).

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”