What backup and recovery strategy do you use? I'm curious.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

What backup and recovery strategy do you use? I'm curious.

Post by Barbados99 »

I'm just curious what others use for their backup and recovery strategy. I have been using Timeshift and I think I'll add a Clonezilla drive image to a USB to that. My laptop has 2 SSDs and I Timeshift from my OS drive to the second drive. I thought a Clonezilla image on a USB would be worth taking the time to do. I'm ambivalent about it due to the fact Mint can be installed and configured fairly easily... but it always takes a few days for me to get everything exactly configured how I want. Maybe it's worth it to do the disk image now too and more quickly recover that way. BTW, I do keep my data in a cloud with my Document folder synced realtime to the cloud (that has saved me countless times for my data).

Anyway, I am just curious about what others do :-)
My homemade daily-driver:
Mint 20 XFCE - Mint 20 LMDE4 Cinnamon - EndeavourOS XFCE - EndeavourOS i3
Ryzen 5 3600 - GeForce GTX 1660 - BenQ 27"
1TB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 - and a lot of old parts from the scrap pile
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Re: What backup and recovery strategy do you use? I'm curious.

Post by Portreve »

I use my system drive the way in the physical world one uses a workbench or desk — to actively work on things currently part of a project of some sort — as opposed to a "primary storage drive". Therefore, by definition, all my important data is always in an already-backed-up state on a couple external hard drives. I see very little point in having to go through the traditional process of backup, which in my view is a waste of labor.

I do use Timeshift for system snapshots, but honestly since I am always ready (and willing and able) to just nuke-n-pave my system, I kind of view my personal use of it as superfluous.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

The noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
— Dr. Lawrence J. Peter
bjmh46
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bjmh46 »

Not a fan of timeshift, therefore it's one of the first things I uninstall after a new install. I always partiton my drive with a boot part. (includes Home) an a separate data partition (I use NTFS). Most data is on the ntfs partition. I do a weekly Clonezilla backup of the boot part. to the ntfs part., and copy it to an external usb. I do a monthly Clonezilla image of the entire disk to my external udb drive. Weekly backups take under 2 minutes to create the image, monthly take about 12-15 minutes.

Bob
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

I use grsync to backup both the OS and a separate data partition. Works great, and has an easy, reliable recovery with no special commands or software.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

[1] Home is backed up manually onto a USB stick using Grsync every time a file is changed.
[2] System is backed up automatically by Timeshift to the internal drive, seven snapshots being kept.
[3] Everything, meaning the whole internal drive, is backed up manually to an external 340 GB SSD using XBT once every week or two.
[4] Additionally I have USB sticks dedicated to an extra of copy my password manager, three Mint installers, and a few other utilities.

Edit: that's a 240 GB external drive, not a 340.
Last edited by cliffcoggin on Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff Coggin
hydrurga
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hydrurga »

I run Timeshift to take daily snapshots of all files in / and /home for rollback purposes. It's configured to retain two weeks' worth of snapshots.

I also use FreeFileSync daily (if I've been working on my documents) to save all my updated documents to an external drive (these aren't kept in /home but in a separate partition which is mounted using VeraCrypt). I often back up my non-dot files in /home using FreeFileSync as well, but not as regularly.

In addition, I use Macrium Reflect to save images of my various partitions to an external device, usually every couple of months or so, or when major changes have been made, such as upgrades and reorganisations. I keep about six months' worth of images for each partition.
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

I do Timeshift of everything because it only takes about a minute and I have the space to do that from my work drive to my backup drive (SSD to SSD). I like the browse feature that allows me to quickly grab a pristine copy of a file from the backup, when I totally screw something up like a config file. Regarding my data, I like having it in a folder that gets synced to a folder in the cloud, not only for backup, but also so I can get at it from other computers. Also when I do a clean install, I just hook the sync back up on the new computer (I use the Documents folder as my sync folder... and have subfolders under that for organization purposes).
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

1. I have Timeshift for minor problems only as it's not a Backup Tool.

2. I'll manually copy/paste or cut/paste...Videos...Pictures...Music and Documents etc on an External HDD every now and then.

3. Every month or so I'll create an Image of the Whole Drive with Macrium...viewtopic.php?p=1434480#p1434480 in case of Major Disaster eg... HDD or SSD Failure...Upgrade that goes wrong or User crated problems that screw my System. Image

An Image of your System is very handy to have...it can be put back on the same Drive or any other HDD or SSD or on a different Computer. Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

I keep my important documents on a cloud service and work on them as needed. MEdia, photos and music are at home on a NAS.

For backup, I use btrfs for my main partition and use timeshift to create a snapshot before I do something stupid.
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

mr_raider wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:01 pm
I keep my important documents on a cloud service and work on them as needed. MEdia, photos and music are at home on a NAS.

For backup, I use btrfs for my main partition and use timeshift to create a snapshot before I do something stupid.
LOL at the "... before I do something stupid" because I am often doing the "stupid thing" and breaking my computers. It's not an "if" thing but a "when" thing.

I've always been amazed that so many people choose to not have a backup plan at all. At my workplace it was like people were often in denial, acting like their computers were never going to fail them and lose their files. And of course they inevitably DID lose valuable work that way.
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

+1for Clonezilla. You can't get an individual file back, you have to do the complete restore. It has never failed me.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Barbados99 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:17 pm
mr_raider wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:01 pm

LOL at the "... before I do something stupid" because I am often doing the "stupid thing" and breaking my computers. It's not an "if" thing but a "when" thing.

I've always been amazed that so many people choose to not have a backup plan at all. At my workplace it was like people were often in denial, acting like their computers were never going to fail them and lose their files. And of course they inevitably DID lose valuable work that way.
If my system crashes, it crashes. I loose a few weeks worth of game saves and stuff. I don't keep my bank statements or tax receipts on my desktop. And any file I'm working on is probably cloud saved so I can see it at home or at work. My desktop doesn't even have rotational storage anymore. I use on SSD for the system, and a crappy old OCZ vertex for torrents and downloads.
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

Irreplaceable files get the three B's
Backup everything, Backup often, and Backup redundantly. Everything else gets less attention.

I also have a scheduled backup of all files in /home/username (including hidden), and I keep
an external archive of packages in /var/cache/apt/archives for use on other machines, and
to negate re-downloads.

These are all done with rsync.

That's about it. No clones, no Timeshifts.

Just me, though. Do what feels comfortable.
Light travels faster than sound.
That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
blackcarajillo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blackcarajillo »

I use Timeshift for the system and luckily I did not have to use it to recover yet.
For all other files in /home like music, videos and documents also some hidden config files, I have them copied over to an external HDD on a regular basis.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

just plain old Copy & Paste.
:)
as most of my backup's are years old, so now it's just an handful of files,
that still do get modified .. copy those few, to an usb stick, for safety.

when this Laptop, was 'upgraded' to LM20, then lots of those PDFs & Photo's & Documents:
- were copied back again . . along with those few files.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
dm999
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dm999 »

Timeshift including settings post OS install and configuration. I keep this backup until a new OS version becomes available.

Timeshift for any major system updates or changes. I delete these after a while.

Grsync to USB stick - as and when changes are made to personal files.

Weekly Grsync of Home (excluding hidden) to USB drive.

Being a relative newcomer to Linux I've messed around with settings and distros and Timeshift has never let me down.

I always keep a live USB of the currently installed OS too, the boot repair utility has helped me out of a hole a few times.
LM 20 Xfce / Lenovo ideapad 500 15ISK / i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz × 2 / 12GB RAM /
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

dm999 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:02 am
Timeshift including settings post OS install and configuration. I keep this backup until a new OS version becomes available.

Timeshift for any major system updates or changes. I delete these after a while.

Grsync to USB stick - as and when changes are made to personal files.

Weekly Grsync of Home (excluding hidden) to USB drive.

Being a relative newcomer to Linux I've messed around with settings and distros and Timeshift has never let me down.

I always keep a live USB of the currently installed OS too, the boot repair utility has helped me out of a hole a few times.
+1 on the "Timeshift has never let me down" statement. It has sure saved me from time to time.
lewtwo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lewtwo »

In my opinion (which is worth less than what you are paying for it):

BACKUPS:
fsarchive is BY FAR the most reliable backup and can be run on a LIVE system or Live CD or Live USB
timeshift is the most convenient backup
rsync is more complex but can be extremely efficient

Note: I always configure TimeShift to use a seperate device for its target (either a dedicated disk or at the very least a seperate partition). I use rsync for specific data sets. I use fsarchiver and removable media for worst case scenarios (i.e. computer explodes or is stolen or infected by ransomware).

For worst case scenarios:
One should have MORE than one back up.
One should also have a documented, tried, tested and verified "restore procedure" starting with nothing but the backup media.

I should also mention: I never place any CRITICAL, SENSITIVE or PERSONAL data on the internet.
"Engineering is the art of planning and forethought."
http://www.keywild.com
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Drag and drop. I open Nemo, or any other file manager and copy my critical files to another drive or more on my home network. If my home gets burnt down, I might be in the pooh, but, there is precious little in my life that I cannot live without or cannot replace.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
ajgreeny
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ajgreeny »

I just rsync my home regularly to a USB3 external disk; incredibly useful if you want to retrieve a single file.
I don't back up my root system at all other than any system files I've edited which are already copied to my home so can easily be restored if needed.

It is so quick to reinstall the system itself as I use a separate /home partition that backing up the root system seems superfluous to me; of course you are free to disagree if you do like to keep a system backup.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”