Apple macros vs Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Apple macros vs Mint

Post by deepakdeshp »

Hello,
I have seen topics discussion regarding loading Mint on Apple laptop How has been the experience of using both macos and Mint on the same laptop?
Pros and cons?
Last edited by deepakdeshp on Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Apple IOS vs Mint

Post by Portreve »

Well, Clem & Co. have never produced a tablet OS, but Canonical's mobile OS, Ubuntu Touch, has been kept alive through becoming a strictly community project. However, it doesn't run on any Apple hardware since Apple keeps all that stuff totally locked down.

You might want to check out this thread.
Your humble Portreve.

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0

Problem solved? Mark your thread [SOLVED] | There’s no place like ::1
I used to be a natural people person, then people ruined it.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Apple macos vs Mint

Post by deepakdeshp »

Thanks for the link. My heading was wrong worded. I wanted experience about macos, the laptop os and not iOS. I have changed my first post.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Apple macros vs Mint

Post by Portreve »

Well, there's a couple things.

If you plan to simultaneously run macOS and a distro (such as Linux Mint) you possibly might want to use rEFInd.

I don't own one of the newer Macs which include Apple's Secure Boot implementation, so I don't know what (if any) impact that has on having a multi-boot setup. On my 2011 MacBook Pro, I only briefly multi-booted and rEFInd was kind of cool.

It was my experience that Apple never messed around with the boot loader the way Microsoft does (when you'd do system updates, for example) so dual-booting certainly worked just fine.

Did you have any specific concern about running GNU+Linux on your Mac? In general, it behaves very well, and once installed, you'd never know you were running anything other than a pretty standard computer.
Your humble Portreve.

deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

I didn't make my point very clear. Macs are pretty costly, I read that Macos gives a special feeling and experience to the users. Is Mint 20 almost as good , better or worse than Macros? I am planning a new laptop, so the question is should I go for the stock laptop or a mac for the supposed superior os experience.
Regards,
Deepak

Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

What you should buy depends entirely upon what your use case is.

If you need certain specific software which is only written for macOS, or if it's also written for Windows but you absolutely don't want to use Windows, then buy a Mac because that's the only way you're going to be able to run that software.

Is macOS very well polished and friendly to use, easy to maintain, etc.? Yes, it absolutely is. In fact, there's some things it has which I wish had equivalents in the libre software world, such as Automator, GarageBand, and ProTools. Apple's laptops have always had some of the finest trackpads you can get. And whether with respect to the operating system or the hardware, fit and finish has always been a big priority to them.

And, frankly, there are a lot of GNU+Linux users who prefer their hardware (particularly their laptops).

Now, is the Cinnamon desktop as polished as macOS's desktop environment? To me as a very long time Classic Mac OS / Mac OS X user, no. Not precisely as polished. It's probably like 95-98% as polished. However, folks who've let's say only ever used Windows or perhaps only ever touched a GNU+Linux desktop environment would likely not know the difference, and would probably feel like I'm splitting hairs.
Your humble Portreve.

deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

Thank you.Price is always a deterrent for buying a Mac. For the same amount you get a much better stock laptop with better CPU etc. If Cinnamon is almost 90% as polished as the Macos, most probably I won't go for a Mac.
Regards,
Deepak

deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

Then there are Mac themes for Mint.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... Hn&ampcf=1
Regards,
Deepak

Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:31 am
Thank you.Price is always a deterrent for buying a Mac. For the same amount you get a much better stock laptop with better CPU etc. If Cinnamon is almost 90% as polished as the Macos, most probably I won't go for a Mac.
The Cinnamon desktop, visually, is an updated and augmented iteration of the Gnome 2.x desktop.

If you look at either Gnome 1.x or 2.x and compare them to either Classic Mac OS / Mac OS X or Windows 95 / 98 / 2K, it should be readily apparent which it's closer to (hint: it ain't Windows). What Clem & Co. have done, in effect, is polish the ever living **** out of Gnome 2.x.

As a Mac user who, in Classic Mac OS, installed Action Utilities GoMac, I'd have to say one of the things which initially attracted me to Gnome (and later, Cinnamon) was how those desktop environments seemed to intelligently put together the very best elements of both. Since I wouldn't expect you or most people these days to have the foggiest clue about Action Utilities's suite of software, here's a link to a place which commemorates a bunch of old software for the Mac, and here's their page on this software. I think you'll kind of see what I mean about it being a stepping stone to me feeling totally at home with Gnome/Cinnamon.
Your humble Portreve.

deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

Thank you , the discussion has given me quite an understanding about Macos .
Does the Mac interface look something like this? https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BpBELx ... sp=sharing
Regards,
Deepak

Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:15 pm
Does the Mac interface look something like this? https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BpBELx ... sp=sharing
That's pretty close. Apple has a menu bar which spans the top of the screen, along with a dock across the bottom for you to launch programs, open folders, etc.

Here's some screenshots you can look at it you like:

Google: Search results for "screenshots of macos desktop"
Your humble Portreve.

deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

Portreve wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:24 pm
deepakdeshp wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:15 pm
That's pretty close. Apple has a menu bar which spans the top of the screen, along with a dock across the bottom for you to launch programs, open folders, etc.

Here's some screenshots you can look at it you like:

Google: Search results for "screenshots of macos desktop"
I am used to the menu bar at the bottom of the screen,hence after trying the top menu bar I reverted back. I don't know how to prepare the dock you mentioned , will have to do some reading.
Regards,
Deepak

Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:28 pm
I am used to the menu bar at the bottom of the screen,hence after trying the top menu bar I reverted back. I don't know how to prepare the dock you mentioned , will have to do some reading.
I've posted about this elsewhere, but I suppose it's worth repeating here.

I own a 2011 13" MBP. Since I bought my HP Envy desktop, I've made the decision to reinstall Mac OS X on it, starting with 10.7 and then doing multiple in-place upgrades to get to 10.13.6, which is the latest version Apple allows to be run on it. I've gone back to running macOS on it simply because I want to expose myself to newer versions than I ever ran back when I was running it full-time, and I want to do this as a prelude to getting back into the technology industry because there's a growing demand for familiarity with it. Saying I'm proficient and then having to backtrack and say I stopped with 10.7 kills any credibility I might have outside of saying I am an expert on purely legacy systems.

One of the projects I want to tackle is to get back into messing around with Garage Band. Maybe I could come up with a cool tune that someone might want to use on a YouTube channel. Maybe someone might want to get it and use it for some other project. Maybe I'll just enjoy some new stuff myself. Who knows... who cares... I need to get back to expressing my creative side, which I haven't really utilized in a long time.
Your humble Portreve.

Swampthing
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Swampthing »

My Desktop is a 2017 27" iMac, it works perfectly, for me at least.
Only bad thing is, upgrading from Mojave to Catalina, my Apogee Gio hasn't worked flawlessly.
Because Catalina doesn't support 32-bit HW. Mojave did.
Most programs costs money, if you need other ones not coming with the OS it self.
I bought Logic Pro(really expensive), other than that I used money to buy movies and music.
Apple enviroment can an expensive experience, althogh neat and polished.
But the real feeling of freedom comes from using Linux, for me at least.
Everything is free and one can donate according to ones wallet, which i have done a few times.
I should have started on Linux many years ago, but sadly I only started last year.
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

Swampthing wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:03 pm

But the real feeling of freedom comes from using Linux, for me at least.
Everything is free and one can donate according to ones wallet, which i have done a few times.
I should have started on Linux many years ago, but sadly I only started last year.
Thanks. So do you feel that Linux Mint is almost as good as Macos?
Regards,
Deepak

Swampthing
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Swampthing »

It really depends on what your needs are.
I use MacOs for Xcode to learn how to make apps for iPhone/Pad and Logic Pro to make music.
For every other task, Linux is just as good. Albeit, it has another feel to it.
Linux is definetely cheaper.
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

I have general requirements like browsing, office,mail and learning Python. Mint is quite suitable for these.
Regards,
Deepak

Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

I'm not a coder, but it's been my understanding that, for most things, the GNU+Linux environment is excellent at supporting the needs of software developers. I get why Xcode wouldn't be supported outside of macOS, so that would obviously be an exception.

I think that Apple's 2000s as campaigns "Switcher" and "Mac vs. PC", as well as getting iPods into people's hands so they could see what a non-Microsoft-centric computer experience could be like, had in some ways helped to blaze a trail for the GNU+Linux community. Getting people to realize there's alternatives — and that those alternatives could even possibly be viable —means additional people will start educating themselves, and also becoming exposed to whatever such alternative possibilities might be.

In my view (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, folks) a typical computer user — who, statistically, is still most likely to be a Windows user — having experienced the many downfalls of using Windows, benefits from having the additional perspective of alternatives. At least in my experience, people have a pretty favorable reaction to being shown something like Linux Mint.
Your humble Portreve.

deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

Portreve wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:58 pm
I'm not a coder, but it's been my understanding that, for most things, the GNU+Linux environment is excellent at supporting the needs of software developers. I get why Xcode wouldn't be supported outside of macOS, so that would obviously be an exception.

Thank you for your inputs. What I gather is Linux Mint is almost 90% as good as the Macos environment. I will look for a stock PC and not an Apple as my another laptop.
Regards,
Deepak

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”