What distro would you use for your main daily driver other than Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Fossy
Level 1
Level 1

Re: What distro would you use for your main daily driver other than Mint?

Post by Fossy »

Not one other Linux Distro :
our actual daily driver is LMDE4 Cinnamon
we also use
Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
and
Windows 10 ...
Worst case scenario fall back on Microsoft Windows
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Ubuntu Mate with the KXStudio repositories enabled for media production.
PCLinuxOS with Plasma Desktop for anything else.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

19.3 Cinnamon is where I will stay until I am drug out fighting to the end.

I have LM20 on a different laptop, same brand as this one, and I don't like it yet.

TMW, I am going to try to see if Aptik can migrate my 19.3 over to LM20 and make me feel any better?
I just don't like Beta packages, and until it reaches x.3 it is still Beta as far as I am concerned.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

I'm going to take a look at the new KaOS snapshot ISO today in VM. I will stick with LMDE4 but KaOS looks from the website quite good to me and there's no harm in having more options.

Seems Arch based, so yeah it may be just as much work to live with as Manjaro and break the user profile each major upgrade of KDE too for that matter :lol:
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:53 am
19.3 Cinnamon is where I will stay until I am drug out fighting to the end.

I have LM20 on a different laptop, same brand as this one, and I don't like it yet.

TMW, I am going to try to see if Aptik can migrate my 19.3 over to LM20 and make me feel any better?
I just don't like Beta packages, and until it reaches x.3 it is still Beta as far as I am concerned.
I really don't get this mindset.

There's no version-related software availability or compatibility issues. 20 is rock solid stable. Except for better HiDPI support with fractional scaling, there's no cosmetic differences between it and 19.x. Ok, so there's some new wallpaper. Gasp!

:lol:
Your humble Portreve.

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0

Problem solved? Mark your thread [SOLVED] | There’s no place like ::1
I used to be a natural people person, then people ruined it.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
SteveR
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SteveR »

I would like to get away from derivative distros. A such I would look into Debian and/or ArchLinux. Based on internet search results, ArchLinux looks to be a good opportunity as I have found many answers that were provided by the ArchLinux user community.

RedHat might be a viable option. I've know about it for years, but never really looked into it.

By coincidence, yesterday I was looking at how Linux distros were forking. Quite an interesting graphic. The graphic also has hyperlinks to the various distros websites. Of course, some of the websites have since disappeared.

khaki45
Level 1
Level 1

Post by khaki45 »

Other then Mint, I have MX Linux. I found that one really nice to install. It works wonderfully on a 10 year old Toshiba Laptop that originally had Vista on it.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

If Linux Mint no longer existed...I would use Linux Lite. :D
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
dm999
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dm999 »

dm999 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:49 am
I'd go with MX Linux if I didn't use Mint Xfce.
I've pondered on my original choice (and messed around with live USB's) and if Mint Xfce didn't exist I'd chose:

Either Xubuntu or Sparky Linux, I'd dual boot both and test them together more intensely over a month or two.

MX LInux I have installed previously and like, but it now falls into reserve position.
LM 20 Xfce / Lenovo ideapad 500 15ISK / i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz × 2 / 12GB RAM /
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

SteveR wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:53 pm
I would like to get away from derivative distros. A such I would look into Debian and/or ArchLinux. Based on internet search results, ArchLinux looks to be a good opportunity as I have found many answers that were provided by the ArchLinux user community.

RedHat might be a viable option. I've know about it for years, but never really looked into it.

By coincidence, yesterday I was looking at how Linux distros were forking. Quite an interesting graphic. The graphic also has hyperlinks to the various distros websites. Of course, some of the websites have since disappeared.

That is a fascinating graphic!
One "positive" about some derivative distros is that they can sometimes offer an experience more in line with what an individual user is looking for. I do like the fact that Linux is not a "one size fits all" type of OS. And I like having the OS fit my needs and wants, rather than me having to use an OS that frustrates me. I love having a choice. I love it that Linux has so many flavours to choose from. Pretty cool. I have tried a lot of distros over the years just for the fun of checking out what they offer. But for me to stick with a distro I think my top priorities are:

1. Stability. I don't want to have to fight my OS. I want it to help me & not hurt me.
2. Refinement. Is it well thought out so that it is a joy to use each day.
3. Active development. Some distros have atrophied and are not so active in development anymore.
4. High-quality and friendly user forum. This is a biggie with me because it is a resource I value.
5. Meets a specific need. For me to keep an OS long-term it must provide something I feel I need.

In my OS travels I love to try out the various distros just to see how well each one hits those 5 main attributes. I then install them to use on one or more of my computers.
My homemade daily-driver:
Mint 20 XFCE - Mint 20 LMDE4 Cinnamon - EndeavourOS XFCE - EndeavourOS i3
Ryzen 5 3600 - GeForce GTX 1660 - BenQ 27"
1TB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 - and a lot of old parts from the scrap pile
dave1953
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dave1953 »

Debian 10.4 Buster
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AZgl1500 »

Barbados99 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:31 am

1. Stability. I don't want to have to fight my OS. I want it to help me & not hurt me.
2. Refinement. Is it well thought out so that it is a joy to use each day.
3. Active development. Some distros have atrophied and are not so active in development anymore.
4. High-quality and friendly user forum. This is a biggie with me because it is a resource I value.
5. Meets a specific need. For me to keep an OS long-term it must provide something I feel I need.

In my OS travels I love to try out the various distros just to see how well each one hits those 5 main attributes. I then install them to use on one or more of my computers.
The points you just made are precisely why I stick with Linux Mint.

I tried the others and found them all lacking IMO
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

I'm going to use bad language - Windows 8.1 is a decent operating system for daily usage too. It may sound daft but it works perfectly well and does not have all the nonsense that comes with W10. It's basically Windows LTS since there are no more feature updates for it, only security now.

So yeah, LMDE4 is used here but also Windows 8.1 and to a lesser extent W10 which is on my gaming rig. I use it only for gaming so never bother too much with anything other than making sure O&O ShutUp 10 is still doing it's job.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
senjoz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by senjoz »

antikythera wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:22 pm
I'm going to use bad language - Windows 8.1 is a decent operating system for daily usage too. It may sound daft but it works perfectly well and does not have all the nonsense that comes with W10. It's basically Windows LTS since there are no more feature updates for it, only security now.
I agree with that. If it is configured on the right vay it works perfectly. But, I do not use it any more.

Regards,
Jože
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AZgl1500 »

antikythera wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:22 pm

So yeah, LMDE4 is used here but also Windows 8.1 and to a lesser extent W10 which is on my gaming rig. I use it only for gaming so never bother too much with anything other than making sure O&O ShutUp 10 is still doing it's job.
I locked my Desktop down with Win7 and stopped that funky stuff.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

What distro would I use for my main daily driver other than Mint? That would be either MX Linux or Ubuntu MATE.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
Swampthing
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Swampthing »

I'd probably use Debian, I prefer stability over bleeding edge.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

As mentioned in other recent threads, Manjaro KDE is actually my daily driver, whilst I use Mint on "fixed" machines. It suits me because I am a born tinkerer and just can't resist experimenting .. Mint just works, which makes it ideal for "production" machines & why I will keep running it on my always-at-home machines.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Without Mint, LMDE specifically, I'd probably hop back and forth between Debian, Ubuntu, and Arch. MATE or Gnome for all -- I've got to where I like Gnome a lot more than I used to.

Then again macOS is now my daily driver so there's that... :lol:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”