Upgrade Xubuntu or migrate to Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Eskibrew
Level 1
Level 1

Upgrade Xubuntu or migrate to Mint

Post by Eskibrew »

I've used Xubuntu for over a decade now and have found it to be great. I recently installed Mint on my son's computer though and found I really like it. I use LTS versions and am on 18.04.4 whereas there's now 20.04 available so I'm wondering whether to upgrade Xubuntu or migrate to Mint.

I have set up some scripts to do rsync backups, I use Virtualbox to run a few Windows OS for occasional testing and I use PlayOnLinux for a couple of legacy apps. Am I likely to have any trouble with any of that on Mint?

Upgrade should be relatively painless and is unlikely to break anything whereas migration is a bigger deal but it might be nice to have a fresh start. Has anyone got experience of something similar? - Am I forgetting to take in to account some major annoying factor that might push me to stick with Xubuntu?
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Upgrade Xubuntu or migrate to Mint

Post by antikythera »

I don't see that you'd have any more issues than you would caused by upgrading to Xubuntu 20.04. Read the release notes for Linux Mint 20 and main Ubuntu 20.04 rather than just Xubuntu 20.04 and you will see the list of known issues is essentially the same. Any issues are going to be caused by the new code base of Ubuntu 20.04 rather than migrating to Linux Mint. In fact, you may have better luck with the PlayOnLinux applications using Linux Mint than Ubuntu. One extra that you may not face with Xubuntu is that if you use any snaps, you will have to enable snap daemon. Clem has disabled that feature for Linux Mint by default.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

I'm guessing you are looking at Mint XFCE?

Although the "guts" of Mint XFCE and XUbuntu are identical, the actual implementation is different with different aesthetics. Mint XFCE is also "heavier" with more gnome stuff thrown in.

That being said, I think Mint XFCE is the cleanest of the three DEs and simplest and most configurable also. After KDE, XFCE is my favorite desktop.

Try Mint 20 xfce in a VM and see what it's like before deciding.

Also this forum has way less douche bags than the Ubuntu forums.
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

Actually the main reason I originally installed Mint Xfce (13 I think) was that Mint Xfce is supported for 5 years while Xubuntu only has 3 years support.

I still think that's a good reason to switch.
blackcarajillo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blackcarajillo »

It depends if what you have installed on your son's laptop is Mint with the Cinnamon desktop.
Cinnamon needs more resources to run so you have to check your hardware. Other than that you are good to go with Linux Mint 20 and I recommend to try it definitely.
Eskibrew
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eskibrew »

Thanks for all the replies :-)
antikythera wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:19 am
One extra that you may not face with Xubuntu is that if you use any snaps, you will have to enable snap daemon. Clem has disabled that feature for Linux Mint by default.
I'm not keen on snaps to be honest, I prefer to use Appimage, seems better/easier to use.
Hoser Rob wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:49 am
Actually the main reason I originally installed Mint Xfce (13 I think) was that Mint Xfce is supported for 5 years while Xubuntu only has 3 years support.
Interesting, I didn't realise that 8)
blackcarajillo wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:32 pm
It depends if what you have installed on your son's laptop is Mint with the Cinnamon desktop.
I installed the XFCE desktop on my son's machine, I've used that with Xubuntu and prefer it, fortunately it seems to be the least resource hungry.

Regarding upgrade Xubuntu vs migrate to LM, if I go in to the "Software Updater", it gives me the option of upgrading Xubuntu versions so I can do that without having to reinstall anything whereas I can't see an obvious way to install LM without having to do a fresh install and then reinstall the apps I use - am I missing something obvious?
Software Updater_029.png
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Eskibrew wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:52 am
Thanks for all the replies :-)
Regarding upgrade Xubuntu vs migrate to LM, if I go in to the "Software Updater", it gives me the option of upgrading Xubuntu versions so I can do that without having to reinstall anything whereas I can't see an obvious way to install LM without having to do a fresh install and then reinstall the apps I use - am I missing something obvious?Software Updater_029.png
Your question is not clear.

Are you trying upgrade xubuntu 18.04 to Mint XFCE 20? That is not possible. They are different distros.

Are you trying to upgrade Mint 19.3 to 20? That IS possible:

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3946
Eskibrew
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eskibrew »

mr_raider wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:05 pm
Are you trying upgrade xubuntu 18.04 to Mint XFCE 20? That is not possible. They are different distros.
Yes, thank you, you've clarified that now. I was unsure from reading above whether I was missing a way I could install Mint on top of Xubuntu and avoid having to reinstall all the apps. It's now clear that is not possible. I'm still tempted to move to Mint though 8)
Eskibrew
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eskibrew »

I've decided to buy a new hard disk and install Mint - I don't expect any problems but if anything goes wrong I could revert quickly. 8)
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

Eskibrew wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:18 pm
I've decided to buy a new hard disk and install Mint - I don't expect any problems but if anything goes wrong I could revert quickly. 8)
I just read this thread this evening and wondered how it all turned out for you... do you like the Mint 20? Did you install the XFCE Mint? Just curious.
My homemade daily-driver:
Mint 20 XFCE - Mint 20 LMDE4 Cinnamon - EndeavourOS XFCE - EndeavourOS i3
Ryzen 5 3600 - GeForce GTX 1660 - BenQ 27"
1TB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 - and a lot of old parts from the scrap pile
Eskibrew
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eskibrew »

Barbados99 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:32 pm
I just read this thread this evening and wondered how it all turned out for you... do you like the Mint 20? Did you install the XFCE Mint? Just curious.
Thanks - yes I installed it last Thursday on to the new hard disk and so far I love it. 8) I did go for XFCE and therefore everything is very familiar. I have connected the old HDD via Sata-USB3 lead so that I can transfer certain program config info and that's worked really well too.

I prefer Nemo to Thunar so I installed that even though it's meant for Cinnamon and it works fine.

I also installed KNotes (desktop sticky notes like post-it notes) which may have been a mistake since although it's working well, I now have 4 "KDE Connect" shortcuts in my "Internet" menu folder which I will not use. :roll:
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

Eskibrew wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:00 am
I prefer Nemo to Thunar so I installed that even though it's meant for Cinnamon and it works fine.

I also installed KNotes (desktop sticky notes like post-it notes) which may have been a mistake since although it's working well, I now have 4 "KDE Connect" shortcuts in my "Internet" menu folder which I will not use. :roll:
I'm afraid you may have turned your system into a Frankenstein OS:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... takes.html
Notably the items 5 and 5.1.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Eskibrew
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eskibrew »

Pjotr wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:06 am
I'm afraid you may have turned your system into a Frankenstein OS:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... takes.html
Notably the items 5 and 5.1.
Eek! - that's grim reading :oops:
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

Eskibrew wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:00 am
Barbados99 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:32 pm
Thanks - yes I installed it last Thursday on to the new hard disk and so far I love it. 8) I did go for XFCE and therefore everything is very familiar. I have connected the old HDD via Sata-USB3 lead so that I can transfer certain program config info and that's worked really well too.

I am constantly experimenting (just checking out) different Linux distros... just because I'm curious to see what's out there. But every computer I own has Mint XFCE installed for my main go-to operating system. It will run well, even on my oldest under-powered laptop. It performs better for me than even those "recommended" lightweight distros. Why, I don't know. But it does.

I do enjoy configuring XFCE (and my software packages) so that they are tailored to what I like. I'm picky that way. I also have found that Timeshift has saved me countless times when I screw something up. I set up a partition for this and backup all files - everything - because I know I will eventually break something and need to restore from Timeshift. It has never failed me. Not once. For my daily-driver computer I also do an extra Timeshift backup to a removable USB drive... I've never had to use that but it's good to know it's there if I need it.

For me, the Mint XFCE has been the most stable Linux experience. Stuff just seems to work. I can forget about my OS once it's set up - and just enjoy using my computers. Other distros seem to range from being a total PIA to being close to Mint in reliability but not quite "there" as being totally as reliable. That being said, I do push the envelope and eventually break Mint but it's due to me being stupid, and not the OS hurting me. Hey, thanks for following up with your thread... I was curious about how it all turned out for you.
My homemade daily-driver:
Mint 20 XFCE - Mint 20 LMDE4 Cinnamon - EndeavourOS XFCE - EndeavourOS i3
Ryzen 5 3600 - GeForce GTX 1660 - BenQ 27"
1TB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 - and a lot of old parts from the scrap pile

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”