Firefox loses 250 employees - will development quality go down?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Eclipsenow+
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Eclipsenow+ »

Hi guys,
I've keyed this to the relevant story.
https://youtu.be/DN6Orvq93R8?t=1070

What is the biggest, safest, quickest update alternative to Firefox?
(Are they in trouble? Is their business model not sustainable?)
Last edited by karlchen on Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Not a support request/question. Moved thread from "Software & Applications" to "Chat about Linux Mint", assuming the focus is still on Firefox on Linux Mint
Cinnamon 20 on (2011?) ASUS i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.2GHz 4 Cores; 8 threads, 32G RAM, GeForce GT 540M
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Firefox loses 250 employees - will development quality go down?

Post by antikythera »

Chromium or Google Chrome but you probably don't want to hear that answer. Yes Mozilla are in trouble due to mismanagement over many years previous to this announcement.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

antikythera wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:09 am
Chromium or Google Chrome but you probably don't want to hear that answer. Yes Mozilla are in trouble due to mismanagement over many years previous to this announcement.
+1. Google making FF more wlike Chrome as the latter has taken most of its market share did NOT help. And when HTML5, which has DRM capability built in, became the standard Mozilla lost its status as the big FOSS browser. You cannot make a FOSS browser that casual users will want anymore.
hydrurga
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hydrurga »

151tom wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:04 am
I doubt development quality can go down any lower than it has and already is.

I've been a Firefox user since the days of Windows XP and have had several complaints with it however still use it and like it.

Have to see what happens with Firefox and perhaps some new improvements will happen if not well there are other browsers.
This is where I stand too. I've stuck with FF through thick and thin (ever since Netscape bit the dust), even though the developers have at times made crazy (often UI-related) decisions. All they needed to do was ensure it was fast with no memory leaks and remained very configurable and it would still retain an important slice of the market. Instead it has been affected by developers with "whizzingly fantastic new concepts and approaches", willing at a whim to drop backwards compatibility, and it is where it is at now. I'll carry on with it because I do not trust Chrome with my data, but it saddens me when I remember what Firefox used to be.
Last edited by hydrurga on Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

How did FF make money?
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

May just be the beginning of the end...Firefox was last measured at a 4.5% market usage rate....DAMIEN

https://www.itprotoday.com/windows-and- ... efox-usage
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Eclipsenow+ wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:00 am
Would anyone notice?
Your humble Portreve.

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0

Problem solved? Mark your thread [SOLVED] | There’s no place like ::1
I used to be a natural people person, then people ruined it.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

hydrurga wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:29 am
...even though the developers have at times made crazy (often UI-related) decisions. All they needed to do was ensure it was fast with no memory leaks and remained very configurable and it would still retain an important slice of the market. Instead it has been affected by developers with "whizzingly fantastic new concepts and approaches", willing at a whim to drop backwards compatibility, and it is where it is at now.
For the past few years each version of FF seemed to be slightly harder to use than the previous versions, so I'm hoping the loss of employees will result in a decrease of shiny new bad ideas.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Flemur wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:52 pm
hydrurga wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:29 am
...even though the developers have at times made crazy (often UI-related) decisions. All they needed to do was ensure it was fast with no memory leaks and remained very configurable and it would still retain an important slice of the market. Instead it has been affected by developers with "whizzingly fantastic new concepts and approaches", willing at a whim to drop backwards compatibility, and it is where it is at now.
For the past few years each version of FF seemed to be slightly harder to use than the previous versions, so I'm hoping the loss of employees will result in a decrease of shiny new bad ideas.
I'm blaming the over-use of non-pharmaceutically approved substances.
Your humble Portreve.

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Flemur wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:52 pm
Isn't the CEO generating any new ideas? If we see a problem, we need to look at CEO.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitchell_Baker
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Eclipsenow+
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Eclipsenow+ »

What does everyone make of this thought?
Is it really technologically too difficult for FOSS browsers to keep up? :cry:
+1. Google making FF more wlike Chrome as the latter has taken most of its market share did NOT help. And when HTML5, which has DRM capability built in, became the standard Mozilla lost its status as the big FOSS browser. You cannot make a FOSS browser that casual users will want anymore.
Cinnamon 20 on (2011?) ASUS i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.2GHz 4 Cores; 8 threads, 32G RAM, GeForce GT 540M
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

It depends who sets the new standard concerned and developed the code behind it. As long as THEY share their work opensource then no it is not.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

I support the fight of which Mozilla and others are a part. And, Firefox on the desktop is still great.

I guess we'll see what happens.
Your humble Portreve.

Eclipsenow+
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Eclipsenow+ »

Speaking of alternatives - what do people make of Vivaldi?
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

I will sticking with Firefox for a long long time, even IF it is no longer supported.

none of the other browsers have any features that I can abide with.
I suppose I will have to use a different browser once my bank decides it is too old.

FF vs 55.x still works just fine, used it last night on a different laptop before it had a chance to update itself.
I had turned off Updates just to use it for a while.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Eclipsenow+
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Eclipsenow+ »

Good! Nice to see some loyalty there.

However, if Firefox have lost the loyalty of volunteer developers due to the prioritising of other widgets etc and losing focus (as the charge appears to be above - I don't know enough about all this!) - could another FOSS browser take over that brand loyalty?

Vivaldi seem to be saying all the right words in terms of mission statement, etc.
Apps often monitor users, create profiles, and sell data to advertisers for profit. That’s the cost of using their services for “free”.

But not Vivaldi. Honestly, we have no use for your data.

The sites you visit, what you type in the browser, your downloads – we have zero interest and zero access to that data. It’s either stored locally on your machine, or encrypted.

We have zero data to sell.

We’re not going to lie. Of course it’d be nice to have data about how you use Vivaldi (like what are your favorite features). But rather than tracking this in a creepy way, we think it’s better to ask you directly. Crazy, we know.

https://vivaldi.com/zerotracking/
And...
What we’re about
A browser should adapt to you, not the other way around.

We believe that many people want to customize and tweak every square inch of their browser to make it their own. They want access to advanced tools without sacrificing performance or security. And they want to be heard.

"We’re building a browser that is powerful, personal and flexible. A browser that adapts to you, not the other way around."

How We Do It
An amazing community of volunteers and a healthy dose of browser-building expertise.

Our founder and CEO, Jon von Tetzchner, was creating a browser before most people had even heard of the internet. We believe in self-organization and collaborating across departments and projects. But we don’t do it alone. We count on a brilliant community of Volunteers around the world that help us test, translate and spread the word.

"Respect each other, question everything, be creative and get things done."

We’re in Control
Vivaldi is owned by its employees.
And we plan to keep it that way.

Having no external investors gives us the freedom to listen to our users and, together with them, build the browser they deserve. Every idea counts and is taken seriously.
https://vivaldi.com/company/
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

Eclipsenow+ wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:49 pm
Speaking of alternatives - what do people make of Vivaldi?
I switched to Vivaldi several months ago and I really like it. It was made by one of the guys that used to run Opera, back when Opera had heaps of features that people loved and before it was sold to the Chinese. It regularly receives updates and new features (I love the screen capture and notes features). I keep FF on my PC as a backup browser (you always want to have to browsers in case something happens to one that stops it from working) but I never actually use it.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD
Eclipsenow+
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Eclipsenow+ »

Nice to hear. How do you use their notes features? I don't know if I would feel comfortable going into full Evernote / Onenote / Keep mode with a browser - because Browsers seem to be things that can change and suddenly need to switch. Do they have a backup function for your notes so you can download them all in one click?
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

Eclipsenow+ wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:07 pm
Nice to hear. How do you use their notes features? I don't know if I would feel comfortable going into full Evernote / Onenote / Keep mode with a browser - because Browsers seem to be things that can change and suddenly need to switch. Do they have a backup function for your notes so you can download them all in one click?
I have used, Evernote. It used to be totally free for 2 just two devices,
I deleted my PC as a device and only use it from the Weblink, that leaves my cellphone as the only Registered device, so I can keep the free version.

as I mostly keep Text notes, with just a few images once in a while, I never exceed their limits for free use.

I tried OneNote, but it is stored on your on device... that canceled me out, I need Evernote accessible from anywhere I might be.

I never use a browser's note features, I use Ted on my Mint PCs, and Evernote for the web version.

for quick and dirty notes on my cellphone, I use ColorNote, it is fast, and syncs to the cloud.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... note&hl=en

I use it for grocery lists, oil change schedules on our cars, a wish list for the next time I visit Lowes or Home Depot...

I keep my blood pressure and other medical stuff there handy for a doctor to review

Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”