Firefox loses 250 employees - will development quality go down?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Eclipsenow+
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Firefox loses 250 employees - will development quality go down?

Post by Eclipsenow+ »

Nice note summary.
I might be moving to android next so thanks for those tips.
Cinnamon 20 on (2011?) ASUS i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.2GHz 4 Cores; 8 threads, 32G RAM, GeForce GT 540M
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

We can only wait and see what happens...can't see Firefox going the way that Micro$oft Browser did...can't even remember it's name :lol: anyway I don't use Firefox much now. :D
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

Bob, Firefox is already a resurrected failed browser. Do you remember Netscape Navigator because that is it's origins. The Netscape Navigator code was the base for Firefox which was a project to bring it back and initially called Phoenix.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

Eclipsenow+ wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:13 am
Nice note summary.
I might be moving to android next so thanks for those tips.
Since you are interested in ColorNote, his is just the first page of what I have.

Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Alt+F4
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alt+F4 »

Eclipsenow+ wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:49 pm
Speaking of alternatives - what do people make of Vivaldi?
It's a proprietary software. Some people don't mind, but many of us do.

Brave is good enough for me.
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

will development quality go down?
That happened a long, long, time ago, probably just one of the reasons they are in the situation their in now...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

antikythera wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:09 am
Chromium or Google Chrome but you probably don't want to hear that answer. Yes Mozilla are in trouble due to mismanagement over many years previous to this announcement.
.mozilla went down the toilet when it turned quantum. i forget which version that starts with i believe 70? i was a firefox and palemoon user for long time and right when version quantum hit i tried and tried to get used to it but in the end i uninstalled it with the quickness
for those thinking firefox:mozilla is safer and more private then chrome:chromium you are drinking the wrong kool-aid; everything reports back to google they control the internet
i also noticed firefox was way too harsh on my older hardware watching youtube with nvidia-340

still it's your choice of choosing a browser, as if you really had a choice
Last edited by trytip on Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

I will ask again. Firefox is losing employees. How were these employees paid? How does Firefox make money to pay expenses?

1- Make an Internet browser.
2- ?
3- Profit!

OK, what's #2?
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

OK, what's #2?
A simple search with my chromium browser with startpage search engine produced these first results @GS3...Hope this answers your question...DAMIEN

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/i ... -money.asp

https://www.quora.com/How-does-the-Mozi ... make-money

https://fourweekmba.com/how-does-mozilla-make-money/
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

We are encouraged to believe that during the coronavirus the number of searches through Firefox dropped dramatically by 25%
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
jamiemint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jamiemint »

From ArsTechnica: Tough times for Firefox — Mozilla cuts 250 jobs, says Firefox development will be affected https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... d-revenue/
Mozilla Corporation gets the vast majority of its revenue (which totaled $435.7 million in 2018) from search engines who pay to be the default search option in Firefox in different parts of the world, including Google, Yandex, and Baidu.
Kind of awful when your major source of revenue is also your major competitor. I guess that's why they are branching out in other directions, such as their VPN service.

Jamie
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

GS3 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:25 am
I will ask again. Firefox is losing employees. How were these employees paid? How does Firefox make money to pay expenses?

1- Make an Internet browser.
2- ?
3- Profit!

OK, what's #2?
i'll ask a different question, how do the kernel teams get paid at kernel.org? they all receive substantial "donations" and in return i'm sure there's a code or two that may act not according to user agreement like collecting data which Firefox is well known for collecting. now i'm not saying that Linus's team is sneaky like chinese software, i was referring to the Firefox team as well as the Brave team and Vivaldi.
Eclipsenow+
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Eclipsenow+ »

like collecting data which Firefox is well known for collecting
I might be a bit new to all this - but that's news to me.
Cinnamon 20 on (2011?) ASUS i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.2GHz 4 Cores; 8 threads, 32G RAM, GeForce GT 540M
Demmers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Demmers »

Eclipsenow+ wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:52 pm
News to me too. I know they ASK in Preferences about their own "Data collection and use", but then so does everybody else.
Personally, I prefer to stick with FF because of them being the only browser that can tick all four of these checkpoints: https://www.cloudflare.com/ssl/encrypted-sni/ (esni needs to be enabled with network.security.esni.enabled in about:config). DNS over HTTPS is enabled in Preferences > General > Network Settings.
I prefer security/privacy over fractions of seconds performance.
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

If it was fractions of seconds performance difference then I'd happily be using FF too. Fact of the matter the gap when processing scripts on sites I have to use for work is fractions of minutes instead. That builds up over a working day to a wasted hour.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Eclipsenow+ wrote:
Every URL in your Firefox URLbar is sent to Google servers.
Read somewhere about Firefox parameters "browser.safebrowsing."
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Demmers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Demmers »

BigEasy wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:50 am
Eclipsenow+ wrote:
Every URL in your Firefox URLbar is sent to Google servers.
Read somewhere about Firefox parameters "browser.safebrowsing."
From what i've read, the URL's are not sent to google servers. Firefox routinely downloads the list of bad sites from google, then compares the url's locally.
https://feeding.cloud.geek.nz/posts/how ... n-firefox/
Quote: "It would be too slow (and privacy-invasive) to contact a trusted server every time the browser wants to establish a connection with a web server. Instead, Firefox downloads a list of bad URLs every 30 minutes from the server (browser.safebrowsing.provider.google.updateURL) and does a lookup against its local database before displaying a page to the user."
"One of the most persistent misunderstandings about Safe Browsing is the idea that the browser needs to send all visited URLs to Google in order to verify whether or not they are safe. While this was an option in version 1 of the Safe Browsing protocol (as disclosed in their privacy policy at the time), support for this "enhanced mode" was removed in Firefox 3 and the version 1 server was decommissioned in late 2011 in favor of version 2 of the Safe Browsing API which doesn't offer this type of real-time lookup."
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

trytip wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:21 am
.mozilla went down the toilet when it turned quantum. i forget which version that starts with i believe 70?
Agreed. Think it was V57 .. I have it as a backup browser but hardly use it myself. Hate the stupid UI changes .. menu bar hidden by default with no obvious (to most) way of bringing it back .. tab bar separated from the actual tabs by all the other (not necessarily tab-specific) controls .. stoopid. And those meaningless buttons, very confusing to many people and completely unintuitive. Plus the loss of some (for me, essential) functionality.

Mind you, they regularly broke add-ons pre-Quantum too, with their rapid-release schedule. I never got why a full new Version every 6 weeks is necessary, especially when there are often no obvious changes .. bugfixes and then a 6-MONTH cycle would likely save a lot of work. Requiring all the add-on developers to re-write their code every six weeks without any form of compensation, AFAIK, is just not reasonable. Many chucked the towel in because of this.

Oh, and Pocket!! That upset a lot of people.

What worries me is what will happen to Waterfox if FF goes down the dunny.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

BG405 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:30 pm
Agreed. Think it was V57 .. I have it as a backup browser but hardly use it myself

. Hate the stupid UI changes .. menu bar hidden by default with no obvious (to most) way of bringing it back ..

tab bar separated from the actual tabs by all the other (not necessarily tab-specific) controls .. stoopid. And those meaningless buttons, very confusing to many people and completely unintuitive. Plus the loss of some (for me, essential) functionality.

Oh, and Pocket!! That upset a lot of people.

What worries me is what will happen to Waterfox if FF goes down the dunny.
I hate Pocket!!!!! turned it off immediately.

The Menu bar is very easy to put back,
  • Alt-V | Toolbars | Menu Bar
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

It seems like we live in a world where change is liked just for its own sake. You can't leave things alone, you need continuous change. Some people who just look at the surface may like change but people who need to work efficiently do not want to be learning everything all over again every few months.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”