Firefox loses 250 employees - will development quality go down?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
hydrurga
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Firefox loses 250 employees - will development quality go down?

Post by hydrurga »

They had a good one recently. I sometimes want to change the css of a specific web page to make it more readable in some way and I do that by creating css rules in ~/.mozilla/firefox/profile_name/chrome. It works great normally, but after a recent Firefox update it just stopped working altogether. I spent a while trawling the web for a reason why and found that the developers had decided to disable such css changes by default and the user now had to also go into about:config and set toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets to true for them to work.

So, all those instances of Firefox around the world using such custom css rules just stopped working from one day to the next. And the thing is, if I remember correctly, the developers debated not even allowing such changes at all (because "hardly anyone uses them" or some such excuse).

I've seen quite a few changes like these over the last few years and each one has me cursing the Firefox developers loudly.

That is what Firefox is nowadays, sadly. Little concern about backwards compatibility, little concern for the users, making the product less and less open to configuration and tweaking, dumbing Firefox down to the extent where it's just Chrome with another name. They seem to have forgotten that Firefox did so well because those of us who loved its ethos and its configurability were those who knew about computers and therefore advised their friends and family to install and use Firefox too. It has simply lost sight of its roots, imo, and therefore lost its individuality.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

hydrurga wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:10 pm
They had a good one recently. I sometimes want to change the css of a specific web page to make it more readable in some way and I do that by creating css rules in ~/.mozilla/firefox/profile_name/chrome. It works great normally, but after a recent Firefox update it just stopped working altogether.
That is quite shocking and certainly not acceptable in my book. More and more sites are going to NEED this due to the stupid "phablet-friendly" formatting with all that wasted white-space on the screen and only five viewable elements per screenful etc.. :evil:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...
Eclipsenow+
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Eclipsenow+ »

GS3 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:41 pm
It seems like we live in a world where change is liked just for its own sake. You can't leave things alone, you need continuous change. Some people who just look at the surface may like change but people who need to work efficiently do not want to be learning everything all over again every few months.
Oh man - I agree with you.

Once a psychological study has been done analysing workflow, icons, toolbar structures etc - they should perfect the thing then leave it alone as long as they can!

And if over time new functions are built in that might require an overhaul like Microsoft Office's Ribbon revolution - please please please leave a Classic Mode option in the View settings until the previous generation dies off! I mean, how hard is it?

Now, back to browsers.
I'm loving how Brave shields mode lets me watch youtube without the ads.
Cinnamon 20 on (2011?) ASUS i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.2GHz 4 Cores; 8 threads, 32G RAM, GeForce GT 540M
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

Eclipsenow+ wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:33 pm

Now, back to browsers.
I'm loving how Brave shields mode lets me watch youtube without the ads.
??

I am using Firefox and have uBlock Origin installed, and I watch YouTube all the time, and I never see adverts.

I will be utterly crippled if Firefox disappears from the planet.... it is the only Browser that handles Bookmarks correctly.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Eclipsenow+
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Eclipsenow+ »

it is the only Browser that handles Bookmarks correctly.
Don't panic! I'm on so many different machines - including some at work I don't own - that I use https://start.me/ (and just download to my personal hard drive each month as a backup). Bookmarks, RSS, news, notes, password hints (through my code system), so many things - all utterly browser independent and accessible from any computer where I'm allowed internet access. I can gradually work on my history 'page' and update my favourite youtube history shows in chronological order - I can get all my greenie stuff on one page - admin and other stuff - I even have a whole page of Mint & Linux bookmarks.

Indeed, some of the hate on Firefox above seems to have been their random changes to bookmarks on the mobile.

Hey, I love the fact that if Brave dies Firefox is still there. But Brave seems to be increasing their market share while Firefox is decreasing. Brave pay you if you decide to watch any ads, or you can just 'tip' their cryptocurrency BAT to content creators. Got a blog? Youtube? Instagram account? Brave users can tip you if they like your stuff.
Cinnamon 20 on (2011?) ASUS i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.2GHz 4 Cores; 8 threads, 32G RAM, GeForce GT 540M
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:13 am
I will be utterly crippled if Firefox disappears from the planet.... it is the only Browser that handles Bookmarks correctly.
How do you mean? I've never had an issue with any browser incorrectly handling bookmarks :?
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Lets hear from others about this latest edition of FF...lets see if they could screw up its "simplicity" yet again...DAMIEN

https://9to5linux.com/mozilla-firefox-8 ... celeration
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

antikythera wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:24 am
AZgl1500 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:13 am
How do you mean? I've never had an issue with any browser incorrectly handling bookmarks :?
Firefox has the "Library" feature that allows me to search for bookmarks at ease.
It allows me to sort the bookmarks under a Folder in alphabetical order..
  • Chrome does not,
  • Vivaldi does not,
  • Opera does not,
Firefox lets you easily customize the Task bar to keep your favorite controls handy. I have not seen this in other browsers.
but, I don't look for new browsers, because FF is my Default, and has been since Navigator.

. I also like the "New Tab" page where I keep my favorite daily bookmarks.... Opera has this, but is harder to work with.
Others may, but I don't care to search for other browsers, when Firefox does everything I want.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
hydrurga
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hydrurga »

And there they go again. :)

https://www.theregister.com/2020/08/25/ ... id_update/

"If you think Mozilla pushed a broken Firefox Android build, good news: It didn't. Bad news: It's working as intended."
DarrenG
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DarrenG »

I switched to waterfox when firefox dropped support for some tampermonkey scripts I use. I've been very happy with it. I use the classic version for the site with my scripts and the current version for most others.

Code: Select all

sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/hawkeye116477:/waterfox/xUbuntu_20.04/ /' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/home:hawkeye116477:waterfox.list"
sudo wget -nv https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:hawkeye116477:waterfox/xUbuntu_20.04/Release.key -O
sudo apt-key add - < Release.key
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install waterfox-classic-kpe
sudo apt-get install waterfox-current-kpe
“People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people.”
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

https://drewdevault.com/2020/10/22/Fire ... -FOSS.html

Firefox: The Jewel^WEmbarassment of Open Source

In the time since my last article on the subject, Mozilla has:

- Laid off 25% of its employees, mostly engineers, many of whom work on Firefox
- Raised executive pay 400% as their market share declined 85%
- Sent a record of all browsing traffic to CloudFlare by default
- Added advertisements to the new tab page on Firefox
- Used their brand to enter the saturated VPN grift market
- Built a walled garden for add-ons, then let the walls crash in
- Started, and killed, a dozen projects which were not Firefox

The most interesting things they’ve been involved in in the past few years are Rust and Servo, and they fired most or all of their engineers involved in both. And, yesterday, Mozilla published a statement siding with Google on anti-trust, failing to disclose the fact that Google pays to keep their lights on.

Is this the jewel of open source? No, not anymore. Firefox is the embarrassment of open source, and it’s the only thing standing between Google and an all-encompassing monopoly over the web. Mozilla has divested from Firefox and started funnelling what money is left out of their engineering payroll and into their executive pockets. The web is dead, and its fetid corpse persists only as the layer of goop that Google scrapes between its servers and your screen. Anyone who still believes that Mozilla will save the web is a fool.

As I have stated before, the scope of web browsers has been increasing at a reckless pace for years, to the point where it’s literally impossible to build a new web browser. We have no recourse left to preserve the web. This is why I’m throwing my weight behind Gemini, a new protocol which is much simpler than the web, and which you can implement yourself in a weekend.

Forget about the web, it’s a lost cause. Let’s move on.
I am not sure if I am to interpret that Google has taken over the Internet?
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
rickNS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rickNS »

250, wonder what they were doing all day. ha.

Oh it's right on their website, looks like sitting around, apparently telling jokes.
ss201029-1855-1.png
They must have thought they had government positions?
Mint 19.0 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I am not sure if I am to interpret that Google has taken over the Internet?
NOPE, There is actually three of them..."Fakebook", "Twister" and "Gargoyle"...lol...OOOPs...looks like i Miss-pelled and Miss-pronounced ALL of their names...lol... DAMIEN
Oh it's right on their website, looks like sitting around, apparently telling jokes.
NOPE, just discussing who needs to be censored next...lol.

Must be my old aged, worn out, brain doing that again.
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”