A Very Good Distro

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
sophiazz
Level 1
Level 1

A Very Good Distro

Post by sophiazz »

GReat! Welcome! I am a mac dude and that is all we run but I have a thinkpad i bought just to rin linux and more specifically Mint and celena. It all works and I am impressed. Clem and the guys have done a superb job. used Microshaft about 8-9 years ago and before but hate it. it makes me violent!

Mint is just sweet!

Enjoy!
antikythera
Level 12
Level 12

Re: A Very Good Distro

Post by antikythera »

Welcome but why Mint Serena especially? That's end of life in April 2021, you may want to try out Tricia instead if you don't want to chance Ulyana yet.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

sophiazz wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:03 am
specifically Mint and celena. It all works and I am impressed.
You don't really mean Celena, do you? That was v3.1 of Mint. It was released September 2007 and ended its life in October 2008.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
Seff
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Seff »

MS makes me violent too. I hate the thought of having a problem, getting an unhelpful message, and then being directed to an agent who knows nothing about Windows. Here in "Linux Land" I can talk to people who actually know the system. Thanks, guys.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Yes Linux Mint is an excellent Distro...I'll never understand why some people call it a Beginners Distro...maybe they're just jealous or ignorant. Image
Last edited by bob466 on Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
Portreve
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Portreve »

bob466 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:45 pm
Yes Linux Mint is an excellent Distro...I'll never understand why some people call it a Beginners Distro...maybe their just jealous or ignorant. Image
+1
Your intermittently humble Portreve.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
LanceM
Level 11
Level 11

Post by LanceM »

It's addictive because it's so good!
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php
darkrchaos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by darkrchaos »

I moved to linux mint from windows 7, mainly because I hate windows 10. But I ended up liking mint more then windows 7. The OS is more stable, and even when I do run into problems they are normally very easy to fix even with my limited knowledge.

I always heard windows is more user friendly then linux. I don't know if that's true for other linux distros, but I find linux mint a lot more user friendly then windows.
Grateful4Linux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Grateful4Linux »

darkrchaos wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:37 pm
I moved to linux mint from windows 7, mainly because I hate windows 10. But I ended up liking mint more then windows 7. The OS is more stable, and even when I do run into problems they are normally very easy to fix even with my limited knowledge.

I always heard windows is more user friendly then linux. I don't know if that's true for other linux distros, but I find linux mint a lot more user friendly then windows.
Same here!
~Maria
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi sophiazz,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
antikythera
Level 12
Level 12

Post by antikythera »

darkrchaos wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:37 pm

It was true many, many decades ago. In 2020 there is no difference at all so it really is down to personal preference. Linux can be made to act like Windows 2000, XP, 7/Vista, 8 or W10. It can behave like a Mac or an Android smartphone too.

Mint has always been geared towards users coming from Windows XP or 7 which is why you feel right at home already.

Microsoft are actually doing their best to make W10 into KDE Plasma. Not essentially a bad thing but they have done it half arsed so it's clunky as hell at present with mixed modern and traditional windows elements.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”