Installing Linux on a work comp....Do you tell your boss?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Would you install linux on a work pc or laptop and not tell your boss?

Yes
7%
No
83%
Maybe
7%
Not Sure
2%

Total votes: 41

BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Installing Linux on a work comp....Do you tell your boss?

Post by BenTrabetere »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:26 am
this brings up a funny instance.
A very good friend of mine related a similar story with one of her co-workers. Like you, they worked for a government (State) agency, and the director was a political appointee who believed government agencies should be run the same way as a business.

As I understand it this agency was tangentially related to Public Broadcasting, and one of its major functions was to produce print media. This co-worker had worked there almost since its inception, and his only real role was to run the Linotype machine. The new director announced a new 'cross-training' program, and everyone will be required to learn the jobs of three other people.

This co-worker and the Linotype had a lot in common - they did not take well to change, and they could only be managed by only a people. Which was just fine with nearly everyone working at the agency - they did not like him, and they damnsure did not want to work with the Linotype.

Needless to say he and the Director did not get along. After butting heads for a couple of weeks the Director suggested he take some time off to "re-evaluate his role." He agreed, and he asked if the Director would allow him to use his vacation and personal time. The Director agreed, and signed off on it ... without HR approval.

Co-worker took his Director's Permission Slip to HR and announced he was using his vacation and personal time. The HR Director asked, "How much?" He replied, "All of it."

This guy had worked for the agency for over 20 years, he rarely took any time off, and at that time State employees were allowed to "bank" any unused time off. He had accumulated over 3-years of vacation+personal time, and the Director himself had approved him to use it.

Three weeks later Director flipped out. He told HR to fire him for being AWOL, and they reminded him that he had approved the time off request.

A month before his "vacation" was up, the co-worker dropped in to submit his retirement notification to HR. He returned to work the day his retirement kicked in.

Monuments need to be built for people like this.
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

BenTrabetere wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:50 pm
AZgl1500 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:26 am
this brings up a funny instance.
A very good friend of mine related a similar story with one of her co-workers. Like you, they worked for a government (State) agency, and the director was a political appointee who believed government agencies should be run the same way as a business.

A month before his "vacation" was up, the co-worker dropped in to submit his retirement notification to HR. He returned to work the day his retirement kicked in.

Monuments need to be built for people like this.
Love it.
the Best Friend I alluded to in my gov'mint job did exactly the same thing as you just told.

He took it all, then as HR had informed him, he had to come back and work one day to make the time off valid.

oh he loved giving lip to the jerk Mangler of our division on that last day. :wink:
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

AndyMH wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:31 pm
they fired me on the spot while I was talking with them
Employment law won't let companies do that it in the UK,
That's not strictly true, though it is rare, and it has to be gross misconduct to justify instant sacking. It's something I had to do once to someone I discovered smoking in an area where smoking was banned.
Cliff Coggin
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Since you don't own the computer...you have no right to install anything without permission. Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
M6WIQ
Level 1
Level 1

Post by M6WIQ »

I myself did run Linux Mint on my Work PC.

My Employer until recently didn't have a Domain Controller (Small Business expanding to a Medium Size Business) and my Laptop was still one of the older ones still working on a Workgroup basis. As my role is mostly on the road (PLC Programmer), away from the office, and considered one of the more technically savvy employee's I was able to call the shots regarding my own laptop. And one of those was being able to run Linux Mint...

I did run Mint 19.3 and then Mint 20 Cinnamon on the laptop until I decided that I wanted to move on and handed in my notice. This meant I did reinstall Windows back on it :(

In regards to telling my boss, I did have Mint running when my boss was working with me on site and when looking at my PC he hardly batted an eyelid. I would probably think in some more draconian companies they might have a problem with it, so in most cases I wouldn't recommend installing Mint without permission.
Running Mint 20 Cinnamon.
Rouge11
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rouge11 »

Thanks all for the votes and comments.
I know most of you that said its a bad idea but are coming from a different type of company.

So we are just a small company of 6 and we are all pretty close. They don't ask questions or check what we do as long as we get our work done. No monitoring what we download, install or do.

I have been the IT department, software admin, web/email support on the side. I take care of my own pc, upgraded the ram and hard-drive while they paid a tech company to do it for other employees. I use to take care of quick small issues at work for others but they have been having lots of issues lately. They just hired an IT company for misc help since they don't want to take away my time doing my actual job.

In the 7 years I have been there, no one has ever touched my computer or checked anything on it. If there is a major issue with it or once 2-3years pass, they usually suggest getting us a new faster one. Everything I do is saved in the cloud and I mostly do work in Office, PDF and web browsers.

A side note. Would anyone really know the difference at work if I installed mint? Maybe if I left and someone new did use my pc for a bit and tried to install something but we don't really use any special software. I have been setting my pc up to be more efficient and organized based on my current role. If someone simply took over my role, it would already be set up and I would train them before I left. (Which I don't plan on leaving anytime soon). They would most likely get a new PC that I would set up for them anyway. You know how many laptops he had me throw out from previous employees? Lots.

Side note 2- I told my mom I was updating her computer last year and gave her Linux Mint and she has been perfectly fine (not tech savvy). I update it when I go over and visit.

As much as I want to use Linux for work. I wont for now. I thought about dual boot. Forgiveness > Permission ? :)
They wouldn't fire me over this, worse case - I just reinstall windows unless I dual boot. How is it ok for someone else to use a MAC?
Or like you guys basically said - not my company, not my problem. Go start something of my own and use linux.
Last edited by Rouge11 on Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Please if you could mention the name of this company, so that in the future, I don't accidentally find myself doing business with them or entrusting them with my money/security/data/personal information...etc...

thanks in advance
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

many years ago .. when win-3x was still in use,
the 'trick' was to Install win-98 on the rear of the PCs HDD.

the machine, would still Boot into win-3, unless an Boot floppy disk was used,
the idea was only sprung, when some-one was careless, and left the Boot floppy, still in the drive.
:roll:

you can still do the same thing, with your LinuxMint, being Installed at the rear of the PCs HDD.
and then using an Boot Usb Stick, to access the LinuxMint system.

at the Big Telco, where I'd worked, for many years, there was many redundancies available.
and when some co-worker, booked all of their Leave Entitlements, including their Sick Leave,
- - there was only the One Assumption .. they were planning their Retirement.
:lol:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
RollyShed
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RollyShed »

For a business firm, No, no Linux unless there is a personal laptop running it in your office.

Where I worked a decade and a half ago we ran what ever we wanted to. One in my section generally ran Linux (Redhat?) and I poked at it a few times. As long as we got the job done, we decided how. It was in a university, the chemistry department and we were technical support so basically what we said was it. A few of the academic staff were Mac users, the rest Windows.

Retirement (as it has been mentioned a few times) - I took early retirement, 3 weeks early as I had holiday time owing. I went off and did a 2 month circuit of Australia. Adelaide to Darwin by train (that's bottom to top), from there to Perth by car and Perth to Melbourne by train. When I got back to NZ I was mentally "on holiday" not retired so it was easy to be used to it. One other person I knew said it took him 9 months to get used to being retired.

I'd get called back now and again ("Could I help out please?") and sometimes the comment, "You always have a grin."
"Yes, I'm out of here in 5 minutes, but you are stuck here."
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

We are having a laptop check today at work to ensure that no unauthorized software has been installed, and I suspect there will be a browser check as well. It could be bad if people are not following the rules at work.
mmphosis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mmphosis »

Absolutely, ask your boss if it is okay before doing anything like this.

I used Linux for most of my five years at my last job. I work remotely on my own computer. I could have used a new Mac, but I didn't want to buy a new Mac. I used a laptop that came with Windows 8. It was bearable for the first while. I installed AutoHotKey (AHK.) All of my work was from a web browser with Adobe Flash, so switching to Linux wasn't really much of a big deal. I was switching between using either Firefox or Google Chrome on Windows. On Linux, I used Firefox and Chromium - I had to fake the useragent string in Chromium for a few years. I figured out how to make Adobe Flash work for either browser. I installed AutoKey as a replacement for AHK. LibreOffice worked mostly. If a Word document didn't format properly, I would open it instead with an old version of Word on an old Mac. I avoid saving documents in Office formats. I must say that Linux runs faster than Windows 8. The experience is better. In five years, I extremely rarely had the computer lock up where I had to reboot. And, there was no risk of having to wait for the "Do not turn off your computer, installing updates" message taking over the PC when I need to get to work. I created a separate user for work to keep work stuff separate from other activity on the same computer.

I asked about using Linux when I started my new job where Window 10 was a requirement. And, they were open to it! I bought a new computer that came with Windows 10 Pro. The laptop is super fast, but I must say Windows 10 is horrible. I keep the new laptop for work in it's own firewalled sandbox, and it is pretty much strictly for work. I did install Firefox, Chromium and AHK. I did manage to boot Linux Mint on the new laptop from a camera card, and it worked brilliantly. I figured out how to connect to my new Windows 10 environment with the old laptop running Linux Mint. It's a new job so I am just trying to get up to speed using Windows 10 for now. At some point, I would like to try using Linux Mint running from the camera card for work -- but I would definitely ask my new bosses before trying this.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

RollyShed wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:39 am
...Retirement (as it has been mentioned a few times) - I took early retirement, 3 weeks early as I had holiday time owing. I went off and did a 2 month circuit of Australia. Adelaide to Darwin by train (that's bottom to top), from there to Perth by car and Perth to Melbourne by train. When I got back to NZ I was mentally "on holiday" not retired so it was easy to be used to it. One other person I knew said it took him 9 months to get used to being retired..

I took two weeks vacation before I retired for the final time. I was used to being retired on the first day of vacation.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Most IT bosses I had over the years didn't even know anything about computers :mrgreen: Strange how they pick these upper management people :?: One day I was Top-Dog and there wasn't any difference.
farkas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by farkas »

Do Not ! ever install anything on a work computer without prior permission. Even if you are absolutely sure that it will be the perfect solution for a problem. Do not go behind your bosses back to prove that you are right. That will just piss your boss off. Present your solution to your boss and explain the benefits of a Linux vs Win or whatever OS your company is using. Don't do anything behind her/his back. There could be unintended consequences that you didn't anticipate.
If you install anything without prior approval you might be exposed to legal action much worse than being fired.
Don't try to be a hero, a lot of heroes met a very an untimely end.
If something goes totally wrong, even though a linux install had nothing to do with it they might try to pin the blame on you.
If you still think you are absolutely right then get a lawyer before you do it.
CYA
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Just don't.
Rouge11
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rouge11 »

thanks for all your responses guys.

We had a new tech company come in today to check over everyone's computers - see what we have, run, do a security audit and scan them for any harmful things, malware, ect and update them if needed. I did show him my personal laptop with linux. Talked a bit about it with him.
Last edited by Rouge11 on Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rouge11
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rouge11 »

**Update** - Another day or so passed and I decided to just install Mint on my work laptop I use at home.

After getting positive feedback from the tech and employees and showing them my personal laptop works fine, I just went for it.

My plan is to at least use it at home for the few days I work from home then eventually convert my desktop at the office maybe during the winter.
I just need the techs help to set up the scan folder (since the printer people would only give him the printer login info).

I also need to get the tech to tell him that everything is fine and compatible on my laptop and that its more secure. Also that he knows how to work on it if there ever was an issue.

I will keep everyone updated on what happens. Good or Bad.
AndyMH
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AndyMH »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:14 am
I took two weeks vacation before I retired for the final time. I was used to being retired on the first day of vacation.
It took that long??

When I hit 60, I dropped to a four day week, then a couple of years later a three day week. When I finally 'retired' I went back for a few months as a sub-contractor (nobody else could do the job - a lot more money), since then I've done a little bit of consultancy, last in Jan 20, don't miss it. I was lucky in that I was in a job/had a skill set where this gentle slide to retirement was possible. I recommend it.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

AndyMH wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:48 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:14 am
It took that long?? ...
Yeah, I always was a bit slow. :oops:
Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald on Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
old_noob
Level 2
Level 2

Post by old_noob »

Rouge11 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:20 pm
**Update** - Another day or so passed and I decided to just install Mint on my work laptop I use at home....... I will keep everyone updated on what happens. Good or Bad.
You live in a universe vastly different from mine. If I did that, there is a significant possibility that in addition to getting fired, I could get some jail time.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”