Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Schultz
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Why is the website so fugly?

Post by Schultz »

antikythera wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:41 am
Yes in 2020 it may be ugly compared to some but at least it's not bogged down with scripts and animations which don't render too well if you have an older machine.
↑↑ This right here. ↑↑ I hate those script heavy websites, some of which look like they were written only for tablets and phones.
t42
Level 4
Level 4

Post by t42 »

I like this design and don't feel it should be noticeably different than it is. It is clearly distinguishable to the relevant audience. And as antikythera said "it's not bogged down with scripts and animations".
-=t42=-
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

What? Why!? THIS conversation is still on-going????

Look 'Metro' AI that got released in the wild/AND/OR actual designers of that god awful METRO design (that even MS moved away from after the DISASTER of Windows 8 ), go elsewhere please. This forum is one of the (growing smaller) few that is still actually functional exactly because it eschews the 'trend' of modern mobile focused web design.

Go play on Reddit or Snapchat if that is how you LIKE to waste-time (spend-time?) trying to have conversation ;)
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

Discourse is horrible in every way and I refuse to use any websites that use Discourse. I hate the infinite scrolling system ... and pretty much everything else about it.

phpBB and vBulletin are the ones I am used to and I like best. No infinite scrolling, clear separation between posts, easy to read, etc.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
olo
Level 2
Level 2

It is NOT!

Post by olo »

As somebody who designed his first webpage last Millennium and still does it, so they work on every browser no matter how old, I prefer the simple, easy to read to the modern, overloaded where you need at least 2 add ons to keep it in check.
There is a guy in Germany who has a blog that is pure ASCII. Very easy read.
There is something to a simple classic look what has more style than all the modern crap what need a lot of time to load and a lot of new browser plugins to render properly.
From a website I want the information I search in the easiest way. If I want flashy I visit the tube and look for this kind of thing.
Now get off my lawn you young wippersnappers and where is my Sarsaparilla?
Testing with (Mint 20) and Garuda KDE Dr460nized right now: "2011: ASUS is proud to deliver the world's first ultrabook..." ASUS ZenBook UX31E (now quadruple boot Win 7, Win 10, LM 20,Garuda KDE Dr460nized )
BrianI
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BrianI »

I must be a man of simple tastes, as I quite like the look and feel of the Linux Mint forums!
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

For me it's quite functional - especially compared to a lot of other Linux forums. It's a bit bright, but that's just a matter of taste.

PCLinuxOS has another nicely arranged forum, being a bit different by using SMF forum software.
“Three o'clock is always too late or too early for anything you want to do.” 
― Jean-Paul Sartre
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

dxciBel wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:50 am
Truth is though, with the ocean of distros grabbing at your attention optics do matter and the website looking like it's from 2006 really doesn't do Mint any favors in that department.
The truth is that sooner or later you will realize that "new" does not mean "better". And phpBB (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhpBB) is quite good and new at the same time.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Ok with me .. Reminds me of my days working on a HP3000
Yamelesswrench
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Yamelesswrench »

I had read a lot of reviews and distro comparisons before coming to Linux Mint, it was my third distro hop in as many weeks when I started with Linux (this round) when I came to the page I was looking for only 2 things.

1. download button.
2. installation documentation.

Website provided both with little fuss, mission accomplished.

I really don't care what the page looks like as long as it is legible and logically laid out so it is easy to find what I am looking for.
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I really don't care what the page looks like as long as it is legible and logically laid out so it is easy to find what I am looking for.
And that is the simplest, best, most elegant, answer to this particular "subject" question, that i believe i have heard thusfar...Bravo, Yamelesswrench...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"
tuxedlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tuxedlinux »

antikythera wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:41 am
Yes in 2020 it may be ugly compared to some but at least it's not bogged down with scripts and animations which don't render too well if you have an older machine. You can however polish it with new style sheets and graphics representative of Mint 20 rather than Mint 9.

While I like the Manjaro site too, that is quite resource heavy and has had exactly the opposite posted questioning why it cannot be more traditional.

The forum again is old school but it works perfectly. Using discourse which looks nice but is high maintenance because it breaks pretty much every month in some way or other when updates to it are pushed is not a brilliant idea. If you can suggest something between the stability of this bulletin board and discourse then great. Linux Mint could leverage Discord instead of IRC too for that matter but you'd then get folk moaning about that too.

You can't please all folks all of the time ;)
I don't think Linux Mint forums moving to Discord is anything good. Discord collects lots of data and is proprietary, and also has a age limit :( (this forum does not have an age limit :) )
Why Linux? Because of the freedom Image
nickstock
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nickstock »

Ok so as a returning Mint user I can say that Mint runs great on both my machines and almost never has any issues but boy oh boy the website sucks.
I know it does what it needs to but for the uninformed user browsing homepages to try and find a Linux distro to use .... well they are all heading to canonical for sure, there may be some new users that go with manjaro but learning an Arch variant may put them off and have them running back to windows.
Anyway I for one would give up some time to help roll out a new website for Mint as opposed to donating. The possibility to attract new users in this new age of Linux desktops should not be missed.
The whole Linux Mint website is broken up and disjointed, separate blog and forums added to the fact it barely works on mobile then add in its very dated look and feel just turns me right off visiting. However that said my web dev skills are offered should Mint decide an update is appropriate so a solid OS can have a solid introduction on the web.
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

nickstock wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:52 pm
Ok so as a returning Mint user I can say that Mint runs great on both my machines and almost never has any issues but boy oh boy the website sucks.
I know it does what it needs to but for the uninformed user browsing homepages to try and find a Linux distro to use .... well they are all heading to canonical for sure, there may be some new users that go with manjaro but learning an Arch variant may put them off and have them running back to windows.
Anyway I for one would give up some time to help roll out a new website for Mint as opposed to donating. The possibility to attract new users in this new age of Linux desktops should not be missed.
The whole Linux Mint website is broken up and disjointed, separate blog and forums added to the fact it barely works on mobile then add in its very dated look and feel just turns me right off visiting. However that said my web dev skills are offered should Mint decide an update is appropriate so a solid OS can have a solid introduction on the web.
Finally someone offering to actually do something rather than griping about it, I for one applaud you for that. If you are serious email root@linuxmint.com and offer your services directly to Clem.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

The blog is Wordpress and the forums are on phpBB.
I'll step out on a limb and say "cost" has something to do with it.

...although I'm fine with the look and layout of both.
Samarian Sunset
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Samarian Sunset »

Count me as a fan of this web site's looks & functions. Sure it's not super slick looking, but then I like the flat default icons on my Mint. This site works well. It has a clean interface that is easy to navigate and its functions are easy to use and well thought out. Maybe the Mint logo & background image & banner could have a fresh remake, but still done in the same vein that it's now.

And..no discord please!
Rootbeer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rootbeer »

What are you guys talking about?
It's a simple phpBB site, super easy to navigate.
please don't change it.

But if any, you could change the theme colors.

I absolutely don't have anything to complain about regarding this site

I kind of like the Manjaro-distribution, but I freakin' hate their weirdo-forum, I simply can't stand it
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

Rootbeer wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:26 pm
What are you guys talking about?
It's a simple phpBB site, super easy to navigate.
please don't change it.

But if any, you could change the theme colors.

I absolutely don't have anything to complain about regarding this site

I kind of like the Manjaro-distribution, but I freakin' hate their weirdo-forum, I simply can't stand it
I concur about keeping phpBB but the theme could be unified across the website, community site and forum. The community site is the most up to date in that respect and a similar theme is totally achievable with phpBB and Wordpress.
https://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

For me this forum seems to work well as it is. Easy to navigate and the search works reasonably well. I've used other forums where the layout has been 'updated' and all that's happened is that users have drifted away. There's something to be said about a more classical layout such that it makes it easy to use without having to think about it.

At the risk of being repetitive though, the linuxmint.com website has a number of issues, some examples as follows:

- Non-dynamic, layout doesn’t work well on mobiles.
- Text too small, especially on mobiles.
- Logo not updated.

Home page:
- Doesn’t tell visitor what LM is, or describe any benefits.
- Flashing sponsor ad is distracting
- Slider navigation to Cinnamon, Mate & Xfce go off-site to the blog.
- No navigation on blog to take user back to linuxmint.com

General Site navigation:
- Two navigation links to ‘Download’ page (only one required)
- Three navigation links to ‘Get Involved’ page (only one required)
- Three navigation links to ‘Donors’ page (only one required)
- Home navigation link – inconsistent drop down menu (changes dependent on current page)
- Links to documentation go off-site to readthedocs.
- No navigation on readthedocs to take user back to linuxmint.com

IMO linuxmint.com and blog.linuxmint.com should be combined under one domain (linuxmint.com). The home page should focus on detailing the various editions and the news should be linked to in the main navigation, maybe with headline excerpts in a homepage sidebar.

Content is good, but could also be added to with info that would be useful for potential new users considering Linux.
I could add more, but that's some immediate thoughts.

Clem must be thinking about all this, but whenever he mentions it he gets slated by some. The view being that it's more important to keep focussed on the OS rather than working on the website. I'd say it's less a case about money and more to do with resource capacity. It's also not easy. His last prototype was shelved as it lacked the LM identity, so finding the balance between updating the site whilst keeping that identity needs a fair bit of consideration.

Sooner or later though something will have to give?
nickstock
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nickstock »

Mick-Cork wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:37 pm
For me this forum seems to work well as it is. Easy to navigate and the search works reasonably well. I've used other forums where the layout has been 'updated' and all that's happened is that users have drifted away. There's something to be said about a more classical layout such that it makes it easy to use without having to think about it.

At the risk of being repetitive though, the linuxmint.com website has a number of issues, some examples as follows:

- Non-dynamic, layout doesn’t work well on mobiles.
- Text too small, especially on mobiles.
- Logo not updated.

Home page:
- Doesn’t tell visitor what LM is, or describe any benefits.
- Flashing sponsor ad is distracting
- Slider navigation to Cinnamon, Mate & Xfce go off-site to the blog.
- No navigation on blog to take user back to linuxmint.com

General Site navigation:
- Two navigation links to ‘Download’ page (only one required)
- Three navigation links to ‘Get Involved’ page (only one required)
- Three navigation links to ‘Donors’ page (only one required)
- Home navigation link – inconsistent drop down menu (changes dependent on current page)
- Links to documentation go off-site to readthedocs.
- No navigation on readthedocs to take user back to linuxmint.com

IMO linuxmint.com and blog.linuxmint.com should be combined under one domain (linuxmint.com). The home page should focus on detailing the various editions and the news should be linked to in the main navigation, maybe with headline excerpts in a homepage sidebar.

Content is good, but could also be added to with info that would be useful for potential new users considering Linux.
I could add more, but that's some immediate thoughts.

Clem must be thinking about all this, but whenever he mentions it he gets slated by some. The view being that it's more important to keep focussed on the OS rather than working on the website. I'd say it's less a case about money and more to do with resource capacity. It's also not easy. His last prototype was shelved as it lacked the LM identity, so finding the balance between updating the site whilst keeping that identity needs a fair bit of consideration.

Sooner or later though something will have to give?
These are all great points and along the lines of where my thoughts are, phpbb is as old as the hills yet a solid and user friendly forums, I also do not think the main site should be all bells and whistles, Bringing the docs, blogs and site together more would be nice hell just having the target set on those links to open in a new tab would be a great start so you don't loose the main site when navigating.
Looking at every screen shot of the mint versions they all look similar yet nothing like the website, given a free reign I would look to incorporate the blog and the site together with donation tracking and newsletters in a custom laravel site with a new fresher look and colour scheme promoting the "mint green colour: as an accent throughout and then re theme the existing forums to match / complement.
A staged development starting with the base site and forum skin then bringing in new features over time with the overall goal of attracting new users and sponsors and also providing a more streamlined user and admin experience.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”