Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Schultz
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Why is the website so fugly?

Post by Schultz »

antikythera wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:41 am
Yes in 2020 it may be ugly compared to some but at least it's not bogged down with scripts and animations which don't render too well if you have an older machine.
↑↑ This right here. ↑↑ I hate those script heavy websites, some of which look like they were written only for tablets and phones.
t42
Level 4
Level 4

Post by t42 »

I like this design and don't feel it should be noticeably different than it is. It is clearly distinguishable to the relevant audience. And as antikythera said "it's not bogged down with scripts and animations".
-=t42=-
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

What? Why!? THIS conversation is still on-going????

Look 'Metro' AI that got released in the wild/AND/OR actual designers of that god awful METRO design (that even MS moved away from after the DISASTER of Windows 8 ), go elsewhere please. This forum is one of the (growing smaller) few that is still actually functional exactly because it eschews the 'trend' of modern mobile focused web design.

Go play on Reddit or Snapchat if that is how you LIKE to waste-time (spend-time?) trying to have conversation ;)
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

Discourse is horrible in every way and I refuse to use any websites that use Discourse. I hate the infinite scrolling system ... and pretty much everything else about it.

phpBB and vBulletin are the ones I am used to and I like best. No infinite scrolling, clear separation between posts, easy to read, etc.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
olo
Level 2
Level 2

It is NOT!

Post by olo »

As somebody who designed his first webpage last Millennium and still does it, so they work on every browser no matter how old, I prefer the simple, easy to read to the modern, overloaded where you need at least 2 add ons to keep it in check.
There is a guy in Germany who has a blog that is pure ASCII. Very easy read.
There is something to a simple classic look what has more style than all the modern crap what need a lot of time to load and a lot of new browser plugins to render properly.
From a website I want the information I search in the easiest way. If I want flashy I visit the tube and look for this kind of thing.
Now get off my lawn you young wippersnappers and where is my Sarsaparilla?
Testing with (deepin) Mint20C right now: "2011: ASUS is proud to deliver the world's first ultrabook..." ASUS ZenBook UX31E (now triple boot Win 7, Win 10, LM 20)
BrianI
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BrianI »

I must be a man of simple tastes, as I quite like the look and feel of the Linux Mint forums!
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

For me it's quite functional - especially compared to a lot of other Linux forums. It's a bit bright, but that's just a matter of taste.

PCLinuxOS has another nicely arranged forum, being a bit different by using SMF forum software.
“Three o'clock is always too late or too early for anything you want to do.” 
― Jean-Paul Sartre
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

dxciBel wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:50 am
Truth is though, with the ocean of distros grabbing at your attention optics do matter and the website looking like it's from 2006 really doesn't do Mint any favors in that department.
The truth is that sooner or later you will realize that "new" does not mean "better". And phpBB (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhpBB) is quite good and new at the same time.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Ok with me .. Reminds me of my days working on a HP3000
Yamelesswrench
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Yamelesswrench »

I had read a lot of reviews and distro comparisons before coming to Linux Mint, it was my third distro hop in as many weeks when I started with Linux (this round) when I came to the page I was looking for only 2 things.

1. download button.
2. installation documentation.

Website provided both with little fuss, mission accomplished.

I really don't care what the page looks like as long as it is legible and logically laid out so it is easy to find what I am looking for.
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I really don't care what the page looks like as long as it is legible and logically laid out so it is easy to find what I am looking for.
And that is the simplest, best, most elegant, answer to this particular "subject" question, that i believe i have heard thusfar...Bravo, Yamelesswrench...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”