What Don't You Like about Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
CtrlAltDel
Level 6
Level 6

Re: What Don't You Like about Linux Mint?

Post by CtrlAltDel »

Termy wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:41 pm
antikythera wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:33 pm
There are plenty of Mint-X and Mint-Y theme colours to choose from so nobody is forced to suffer a particular colour they hate.
My saying that, however, doesn't mean I think a new color should not be discussed, just that I think the way this thread has gone or is headed, is probably not the best approach. I think a poll would be a nice and simple approach for us to tell the team, in bulk, what we do or don't like.

I agree, of course, that it's easy to change colors and isn't a problem. However, there is ample competition out there, and I think there's no harm in tweaking Linux Mint's image in hopes of attracting more users.

:idea: Unfortunately, we're in the Linux Mint support forums, so we'll get a skewed result, in favor of course to how it is now, but it might at least give them a digestible result to go on, other than personal attacks between different users because of a color they do or don't like.
Let's be honest with ourselves. If the developers of Linux Mint want our input on something or the other, they know where we are at and will ask us. Your thread is a good thread but, I wouldn't take it too seriously if I were you. It isn't going to be forwarded for the immediate and urgent viewing to anyone that matters in regards to this OS.

No one was looking for your input, for my input, or for anyone else's input on anything regarding Linux Mint. What we have here is a thread for OUR discussion and OUR thoughts and opinions. I don't believe it has to follow strict guidelines and professional business protocol in order to meet the approval of developers who will very likely never see it.

And the one or two that may post here regularly, and there is one in this thread in Pierre, haven't given us any tactical advice on what to discuss or what not to discuss.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Hey, you all. Can we please just agreed to disagree and drop all this repeated arguing about the color green?
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
Termy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Termy »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:52 am
Hey, you all. Can we please just agreed to disagree and drop all this repeated arguing about the color green?
I'd like that. I'd like to hear what other things people might not like about Linux Mint, if there are any. I think some of us just got a bit carried away with the color. :lol:
I use Linux Mint 18.3 with Cinnamon in a VirtualBox VM for testing & sandboxing.

I'm LearnLinux (LL) on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/learnlinux
I'm also terminalforlife (TFL) on GitHub: https://github.com/terminalforlife
Flemur
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Flemur »

I don't like Mint's crippled synaptic, where you can't run updates.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
ThrashZone2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ThrashZone2 »

Hi,
Version 20 but not exclusive things haven't changed much in 4-5 years sadly mate or cinnamon

Too much password needed for basic stuff like updating
Software manager still can't install wine properly or really at all launch never worked.

Hardware manager only comes up with gpu drivers lol I know I have lots of other hardware
No mouse scroll wheel settings at all this is just sad.
Network manager can't connect on startup with wired Ethernet on newer boards in my case z490 apex while linix solus can and does.

No real idea how to get off balanced power plan which is pretty lame
I finally found an app to easily switch to performance mode with indicator-cpufreq and another basic monitoring app psensor for basic core temperature readings still way too limited not everyone is on a silly laptop.
Cinnamon 20-x64----Win-7 & 10 pro's
Termy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Termy »

ThrashZone2 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:38 am
Thanks for your feedback.

Like a lot of things posted in this thread, however, this isn't inherently a Linux Mint thing, but a Linux thing, or a thing of traditional distributions, more specifically. I think it would be very bad for Linux Mint if it came out of the box with lesser security than its competition.

Unfortunately, over the years, Windows made many users complacent with lackluster security, resulting in the confusion a user experiences when trying out Linux. I went through the same thing some years back; we probably all did. :roll:
I use Linux Mint 18.3 with Cinnamon in a VirtualBox VM for testing & sandboxing.

ThrashZone2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ThrashZone2 »

Termy wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:51 am
ThrashZone2 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:38 am
Thanks for your feedback.

Like a lot of things posted in this thread, however, this isn't inherently a Linux Mint thing, but a Linux thing, or a thing of traditional distributions, more specifically. I think it would be very bad for Linux Mint if it came out of the box with lesser security than its competition.

Unfortunately, over the years, Windows made many users complacent with lackluster security, resulting in the confusion a user experiences when trying out Linux. I went through the same thing some years back; we probably all did. :roll:
Hi,
lol yeah I said that it wasn't exclusive but you removed that part and oddly acted as I didn't :lol:
This is another failure support wise people commenting on what they want too and removing the rest of the context they don't want to address.
Cinnamon 20-x64----Win-7 & 10 pro's
Termy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Termy »

ThrashZone2 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:00 pm
Hi,
lol yeah I said that it wasn't exclusive but you removed that part and oddly acted as I didn't :lol:
This is another failure support wise people commenting on what they want too and removing the rest of the context they don't want to address.
You did? My bad. I removed it because I was concerned it would be inflammatory. :lol:

EDIT: Nevermind, thought you meant I removed my post, but that was something else I was thinking of. If you're referring to the part you said which I removed, that's just a conkadink. I can't stand filling up threads with quotes taking up most of the space. :roll:

CtrlAltDel
Level 6
Level 6

Post by CtrlAltDel »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Lady Fitz, I don't mean to be pedantic but, it's y'all, not you all.

I don't like the font choice used to represent Linux Mint; what do you think about it? What barely passes for the letter L isn't fully formed and tapers off much too quickly at the bottom. It has no style. It's like someone was creating the letter L, got drunk, and didn't finish it.

The letter M has no clean definition and melds together at the top. The letter T might as well be the letter L but with a dash in the middle. The dash doesn't intersect the rest of the letter; it's not even a real letter T. The name of this distribution of Linux is Min, followed by a hieroglyph, apparently.

Poor choice of fonts, in my opinion.

CtrlAltDel
Level 6
Level 6

Post by CtrlAltDel »

Termy, I've read back through the thread just a minute ago and after contemplating all the complaints about varied things, I believe ZakGordan may have been correct.

He says that everyone in this thread that mentioned something they didn't like about a free operating system was ungrateful and privileged and really only have first world problems. I believe he feels that each of us who has a complaint about this or that, concerning Linux Mint, should be ashamed of ourselves for mentioning it because there are poor people in the world who don't have our privilege.

Poor people aren't worried about whether Synaptic works properly, documentation, Timeshift irregularities, Slick Greeter, the green color, printing, etc... and would be grateful to just have Linux Mint and a computer to put it on. So, maybe we shouldn't ever really discuss these types of things because it shows us to be unconcerned with the rest of the world and just worried about things that only rich people have to worry about.

Checking our privilege, as ZakGordan states, may be the best option and no longer have threads like this where ungrateful first world people blithely discuss things that mean very little to the hungry and destitute of the world. It is a good thread though, I don't deny that. But maybe we have no real right to question anything concerning Linux Mint.

It is free and maybe we should show our appreciation and awed reverence to those who created it and maintain it for us and never create a thread to highlight perceived deficiencies showing our ungratefulness and our unbridled privilege. Imagine if some people that really are heavily involved with maintaining Mint were to read this thread and see all the complaints. They would feel so terrible and think that we don't worship them and appreciate what they have done for us. It could make them feel defeated and unloved.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Getting awfully close to personal attacks here. Let's be respectful of one another or the thread gets locked up.
CtrlAltDel
Level 6
Level 6

Post by CtrlAltDel »

antikythera wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:40 pm
Frankie say relaaaaaax

OMG, antikythera, that video freaked me out. :lol:
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 6
Level 6

CtrlAltDel wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:56 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Lady Fitz, I don't mean to be pedantic but, it's y'all, not you all.

I don't like the font choice used to represent Linux Mint; what do you think about it? What barely passes for the letter L isn't fully formed and tapers off much too quickly at the bottom. It has no style. It's like someone was creating the letter L, got drunk, and didn't finish it.

The letter M has no clean definition and melds together at the top. The letter T might as well be the letter L but with a dash in the middle. The dash doesn't intersect the rest of the letter; it's not even a real letter T. The name of this distribution of Linux is Min, followed by a hieroglyph, apparently.

Poor choice of fonts, in my opinion.

I. It's funny that when people say they don't mean to be doing something, they actually are doing it.

2. If you don't like the font choice in Mint, change the theme.
Jeannie

CtrlAltDel
Level 6
Level 6

Post by CtrlAltDel »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:09 pm

I. It's funny that when people say they don't mean to be doing something, they actually are doing it.

Well, that wasn't what I meant at all. Of course I have my personal preference in font choices selected for Mint.

I posted an image of the fonts used in the header of Linuxmint.com that are connected to the logo. That's the font I was talking about, not my fonts. :wink:
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Bingo. you win this thread arc ;) It' so easy when you know how!

I suggest people look around for all the various video guides and sources that can, among other things, change the fonts Mint uses. Change the theme and colours Mint uses. Change pretty much the whole GUI experience of Mint to what YOU desire. The world is literally your oyster if you are that bothered about it. You can even change the way the forum looks to you. It's amazing what you can do with technology these days.

Clem and the team work damn hard to provide us a great free OS that is not Windows 10, and the guys and gals around here provide a great free (and most importantly functional) forum. Why force them to do your work for you? If you don't like something, change it for your preferences. I would have no issue whatever colour Mint was (as long as it was not black on black!), and IF it bothered me i'd go into the display options and change it. The last thing i'd think to do was demand Clem and the team change it, they have enough to do!

And here to show there is no actual bad-blood from my side (just mild surprise), i'll send those of you that have a BIG issue with how things look to the dedicated forum where you can no doubt find all the info you need to make Mint sparkle gold and fart unicorns (probably?):

viewforum.php?f=211
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
CtrlAltDel
Level 6
Level 6

Post by CtrlAltDel »

ZakGordon wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:36 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Bingo. you win this thread arc ;) It' so easy when you know how!

I suggest people look around for all the various video guides and sources that can, among other things, change the fonts Mint uses. Change the theme and colours Mint uses. Change pretty much the whole GUI experience of Mint to what YOU desire. The world is literally your oyster if you are that bothered about it. You can even change the way the forum looks to you. It's amazing what you can do with technology these days.

Clem and the team work damn hard to provide us a great free OS that is not Windows 10, and the guys and gals around here provide a great free (and most importantly functional) forum. Why force them to do your work for you? If you don't like something, change it for your preferences. I would have no issue whatever colour Mint was (as long as it was not black on black!), and IF it bothered me i'd go into the display options and change it. The last thing i'd think to do was demand Clem and the team change it, they have enough to do!

And here to show there is no actual bad-blood from my side (just mild surprise), i'll send those of you that have a BIG issue with how things look to the dedicated forum where you can no doubt find all the info you need to make Mint sparkle gold and fart unicorns (probably?):

viewforum.php?f=211
Zak, I think you have misunderstood what is being said. There is no way for any user of Linux Mint to change the default logo color or the fonts used to represent Linux Mint, seen here:

If I'm missing something and I can change the logo color or the font choices used to represent Linux Mint, let me know. I've never seen those settings in an area of System Systems. I'll be keeping an eye out for your response.

And I know you are extra concerned about all the complaining and griping in this thread from ungrateful users who you feel aren't showing proper respect to Clem and the team and wish no one would ever complain about anything, ever, because you feel we don't have that right while using a free OS.

But, I didn't create the thread and am just mentioning things that bother me, personally, as about 20 other participants have mentioned things they don't like. I am not entirely sure why you have chosen to single me out as the only one in this thread who isn't "grateful to Clem" or is an ungrateful and privileged 1st World person who doesn't have real problems because, everybody is complaining about something.

I haven't seen you tell a poster here who complained about certain aspects of Synaptic to simply code Synaptic to their liking and to quit complaining because it's a free OS. I haven't seen you tell a poster who complained about not being about to upgrade the kernel with sudo apt-get dist-upgrade to just use another distro if you don't like it because the people who work hard to maintain Mint don't need to hear your ungrateful and privileged remarks.

Surely you haven't unilaterally decided that my concerns about the color green, or anything else, are not to be mentioned or discussed while you give free reign to all others who have what you consider "valid" complaints.

Why do you get to personally decide that my concerns don't matter? Why haven't you decided to zero in on any of the other user's complaints about what they don't like? I only ask that you do not ban me for being ungrateful to Clem and will let me continue to post in other threads.

This thread was flowing pretty naturally until you decided that you, personally, would determine what other users could mention and could not mention and that not enough reverence was being shown to the people who work hard to maintain MInt. My gripe about the color green would have long since passed and been forgotten about a couple of pages ago if it weren't for you.

Maybe you could just communicate privately with the mods/Admins of the board and tell them that you will not tolerate these types of threads any longer and something needs to be done about it. Who knows, you might get your wish and no one will ever be allowed to talk about anything they dislike about Linux Mint again.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

There is nothing wrong with these threads per se. We actually try to listen to our users. The problem is this thread like so many others devolves into something completely unconstructive. It's now five pages long and most of it is now people just getting on one another. That doesn't help us or anyone else. Stay constructive, be respectful, and maybe something useful can be gained out of it. People are allowed opinions and are allowed to criticize. Just because someone doesn't agree with you or your personal taste, doesn't mean they are wrong.

This thread also shows just how personal peoples ideas are when it comes to look and style. We can never win with everyone. We've put a lot of effort into giving people options in Mint for colors, older and newer theme styles, etc. No decision, change, or thing we work on makes everyone happy.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 6
Level 6

JosephM wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:07 pm
There is nothing wrong with these threads per se. We actually try to listen to our users. The problem is this thread like so many others devolves into something completely unconstructive. It's now five pages long and most of it is now people just getting on one another. That doesn't help us or anyone else. Stay constructive, be respectful, and maybe something useful can be gained out of it. People are allowed opinions and are allowed to criticize. Just because someone doesn't agree with you or your personal taste, doesn't mean they are wrong.

This thread also shows just how personal peoples ideas are when it comes to look and style. We can never win with everyone. We've put a lot of effort into giving people options in Mint for colors, older and newer theme styles, etc. No decision, change, or thing we work on makes everyone happy.
Thank you!
Jeannie

Termy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Termy »

JosephM wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:07 pm
Well said. Read my mind. :) I think I naively thought this thread would lead to nothing but constructive criticism and the sharing of thoughts and ideas; it has been really interesting none-the-less, though.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”