What Don't You Like about Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Re: What Don't You Like about Linux Mint?

Post by Menard »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:13 am My problems with Mint:

1) It is too easy to install. I mean Linux needs to be hard, and take hours and hours to get anything resembling a proper desktop and usable hardware! You need to be a software engineer or guru to use Linux, only the elite need apply.
Exactly, I was told that Mint was a version of Linux which was exactly like Windows, so easy to use and less problems ... so one of my main problems is that I spent much more time to switch to Linux, than the time needed to upgrade from Win 7 to Win 8 etc and then I am repeatedly angry aginst the person who claimed that ... and it is idem for the Mint re-installation, I was very afraid of this but I was told that it was easy to do, but really ... no, I made this in the beginning of january and i am still to fix the new problems it got

But Linux Mint surprised me in good on some things :
- its installer is able to support an installation near another version of Linux on the same disk, without issue
- we can then add the same home for the new installation, than the other, previous version (if it is Mint too)
and to add a new user with the same name than in the other Mint, when they share the same home, that runs perfectly well too
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon - K 5.15 - Desktop - english
AMD APU A8 7600 - DDR3 1833 MHz 8 GB x2 Dual Channel
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

1) It is too easy to install. I mean Linux needs to be hard, and take hours and hours to get anything resembling a proper desktop and usable hardware! You need to be a software engineer or guru to use Linux, only the elite need apply.
2) It is too easy to customize. Operating Systems need to only allow you to use "THE ONE TRUE WAY"! Just look at Mac O/S or Windows!
3) It updates too quickly. It should take hours and hours of agony and reboots to update!
4) It has too much added software. You should have to pay for every software package installed! An office suite, that should be at least $100 extra! Come on Now!
5) It is too easy to add new software packages. Come on, you need a store that is curated and only allows "official" releases (for a price).
6) There is no spyware. Really, software needs to phone home immediately and monetize you!
7) It just works. Come on now we need at least a minimum of one BSOD a week just to show us that we need to give software companies more money! After all software is not perfect! After all software should crash on a regular basis.

I know I have left things out, but these are my major complaints.....
Er! Do you have a very large gum-boil or perhaps that is your tongue in your cheek - - -Yes, that's what it is!!!!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

ajgreeny wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:21 am

2) It is too easy to customize. Operating Systems need to only allow you to use "THE ONE TRUE WAY"! Just look at Mac O/S or Windows!
3) It updates too quickly. It should take hours and hours of agony and reboots to update!
4) It has too much added software. You should have to pay for every software package installed! An office suite, that should be at least $100 extra! Come on Now!
5) It is too easy to add new software packages. Come on, you need a store that is curated and only allows "official" releases (for a price).
6) There is no spyware. Really, software needs to phone home immediately and monetize you!
7) It just works. Come on now we need at least a minimum of one BSOD a week just to show us that we need to give software companies more money! After all software is not perfect! After all software should crash on a regular basis.

I know I have left things out, but these are my major complaints.....
Er! Do you have a very large gum-boil or perhaps that is your tongue in your cheek - - -Yes, that's what it is!!!!
Absolutely! :) I tend to judge all other distributions by Mint.
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

NOTHING!! It just keeps working. Every time hubby yells "Help!!" I am reminded of just what a simply beautiful OS LM is. That is why I send them a monthly donation; I want them to ALWAYS be able to be there.
BTW:
What do computers and air conditioners have in common?

Both work well until you open Windows. :lol:
Last edited by JTemple on Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

JTemple wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:26 pm...What do computers and air conditioners have in common?

Both work well until yo open Windows. :lol:
That's funny because it's true!
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Mint just makes it too easy to install updates and software. I demand and expect what I got this morning with my MSI Gaming laptop, an hour of frustration, reboots, errors, and issues! Darn it! Software updates should NOT BE EASY, it should be hard so that we Plebians understand how hard our Masters have worked to provide us with THEIR software that they deign to let us use....!!!!
farkas
Level 5
Level 5

Post by farkas »

Just read through this post. A lot of it was about Mint colors. I thought that it was trivial and nitpicking. That wasn't useful information about what is what don't like about LM Mint. Just a whole lot dislikes. Not very constructive.

Personally I don't care about what the color of a logo or the website home page is. If you wish to choose a distro by the its color, go for it. LM Mint is my choice because it works!

There were comments about poor documentation. I agree completely. My first install was with accepting all the recommended choices. Just one partition for everything.

After using LM for a while and perusing LM forums, I learned that it was advantageous to have separate root, file, home and data partitions.
There are no directions in LM manuals on how to change your partition scheme once you did a basic install. I tried it and it was a disaster.
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=295318

The current way to find the LM guide is rather difficult. It is buried in LM Home>Download>Documentation>Installation Guide,and choose a PDF.
https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... stall.html
It should be the most prominent button on the Home Page. Also link to a page that lists minimum hardware requirements and the install guide. Also a link to a how to page to burn an ISO to a USB or CD/DVD.
What I'd like like to see in the LM manual is when you are doing a fresh install is when you check for something else button a guide for setting up your desired partition scheme. It took me a while to figure how to do it. It was kind of scary, gparted isn't for the faint of heart.
The best tutorial I found for this is
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=287353
It maybe a bit outdated. The original poster, pbear, is missing.

PS
I just googled "mint" on Google.
Looking for info on mint, the herb. The fifth option for "mint" was

Linux Mint: Main Page
https://linuxmint.com
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
Trepie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Trepie »

I wish there was some visual indicator to let you know Mint is updating Flatpaks. I live in a pretty rural area and only have access to DSL (StarLink should be available here soon-ish) and notice that my connection will get incredibly slow sometimes only to discover it was because Mint was chewing through Flatpak updates in the background. It's not too bad since the only Flatpaks I usually install are Spotify and Discord but it was enough to give me concern.

I wish I could change the background color on the pop-up text when you hover over stuff. The yellow background is nice for the old-school Windows nostalgia but it feels out of place a lot of the times.

Speaking of colors, I wonder if it would be possible to have a field where you could put in hex code for you system colors in addition to the defaults already there. That should make everyone happy. :)

Aside from that, I'd like to see a KDE version make a return.
Tolayon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tolayon »

Well, so far my only dislike about Linux Mint is its default theme. The contrast between the green and white elements is still too low, so I change the colors to Mint-Y-Blue (sometimes Dark-Blue), with the window manager theme always set to Mint-Y-Dark.

Regarding the older kernel and software, I find these more of a plus for me, since my old PC that until about one year ago ran Windows 7 won't boot with any kernel version above 4.15, so Linux Mint 19.2 is end game for me and so far runs perfectly on my machine.
johnerskine
Level 1
Level 1

Post by johnerskine »

I've been using Mint for over ten years, and have found the experience generally excellent - the OS has, after all, taken me through the process of doing a PhD, so I'm grateful for all the work that the developers put in to making everything just work. Recently, however, as I've been working from home, and having to connect with fellow researchers and activists on platforms such as Skype, Zoom and Teams the niggling problems Mint is having with microphones are forcing me to contemplate using Windows again.

From the postings on the Sound, Multimedia and Codecs pages, it seems the problem is quite widespread, and perhaps it's something that needs some sustained development effort to resolve. From my point of view, I'd be interested to know if anyone is actually using Mint successfully with Skype, Zoom, or Teams?
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

I was using Zoom on LM 19.3 Cinnamon but don't need it anymore and have now doen a fresh install onto Debian 11 Cinnamon
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

johnerskine wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:27 am From my point of view, I'd be interested to know if anyone is actually using Mint successfully with Skype, Zoom, or Teams?
Zoom works fine for me. I have downloaded the appimage.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

johnerskine wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:27 am and having to connect with fellow researchers and activists on platforms such as Skype, Zoom and Teams the niggling problems Mint is having with microphones are forcing me to contemplate using Windows again.
I'd be interested to know if anyone is actually using Mint successfully with Skype, Zoom, or Teams?
Never used Teams. Skype worked OK until Microsoft took it over and broke it. How ever they eventually sorted things out and it worked OK. Never had a problem with ZOOM and used it a lot last year.

With a big group we used the TV as a monitor and had a boom mounted microphone leaning over the top of it.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

-- Sorry to sound like a monkey-see-monkey-do but I'm agreeing with Mick-cork on this one. All three points make plenty of sense.. If I had to only pick one of those three, I'd like to see Nemo get a good performance boost. PCMan file manager is easily noticeably faster. *shrugs*

That's about it. Honestly, I've loved everything else so far about the LM experience since July 2020 when I transferred from Windows 100%
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
Avraham Tsaban
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Avraham Tsaban »

Poor support for Right to Left languages.
It's a generic problem on non-Windows operating systems, but Mint's support for RTL is even worse.

Touchpad not clickable out of the box.

Heavily configured GRUB screen makes customization harder.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”