What Don't You Like about Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: What Don't You Like about Linux Mint?

Post by antikythera »

I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Getting awfully close to personal attacks here. Let's be respectful of one another or the thread gets locked up.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

CtrlAltDel wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:56 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:52 am Hey, you all. Can we please just agreed to disagree and drop all this repeated arguing about the color green?
Lady Fitz, I don't mean to be pedantic but, it's y'all, not you all.

I don't like the font choice used to represent Linux Mint; what do you think about it? What barely passes for the letter L isn't fully formed and tapers off much too quickly at the bottom. It has no style. It's like someone was creating the letter L, got drunk, and didn't finish it.

The letter M has no clean definition and melds together at the top. The letter T might as well be the letter L but with a dash in the middle. The dash doesn't intersect the rest of the letter; it's not even a real letter T. The name of this distribution of Linux is Min, followed by a hieroglyph, apparently.

Poor choice of fonts, in my opinion.

I. It's funny that when people say they don't mean to be doing something, they actually are doing it.

2. If you don't like the font choice in Mint, change the theme.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:09 pm 2. If you don't like the font choice in Mint, change the theme.
Bingo. you win this thread arc ;) It' so easy when you know how!

I suggest people look around for all the various video guides and sources that can, among other things, change the fonts Mint uses. Change the theme and colours Mint uses. Change pretty much the whole GUI experience of Mint to what YOU desire. The world is literally your oyster if you are that bothered about it. You can even change the way the forum looks to you. It's amazing what you can do with technology these days.

Clem and the team work damn hard to provide us a great free OS that is not Windows 10, and the guys and gals around here provide a great free (and most importantly functional) forum. Why force them to do your work for you? If you don't like something, change it for your preferences. I would have no issue whatever colour Mint was (as long as it was not black on black!), and IF it bothered me i'd go into the display options and change it. The last thing i'd think to do was demand Clem and the team change it, they have enough to do!

And here to show there is no actual bad-blood from my side (just mild surprise), i'll send those of you that have a BIG issue with how things look to the dedicated forum where you can no doubt find all the info you need to make Mint sparkle gold and fart unicorns (probably?):

viewforum.php?f=211
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

There is nothing wrong with these threads per se. We actually try to listen to our users. The problem is this thread like so many others devolves into something completely unconstructive. It's now five pages long and most of it is now people just getting on one another. That doesn't help us or anyone else. Stay constructive, be respectful, and maybe something useful can be gained out of it. People are allowed opinions and are allowed to criticize. Just because someone doesn't agree with you or your personal taste, doesn't mean they are wrong.

This thread also shows just how personal peoples ideas are when it comes to look and style. We can never win with everyone. We've put a lot of effort into giving people options in Mint for colors, older and newer theme styles, etc. No decision, change, or thing we work on makes everyone happy.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

JosephM wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:07 pm There is nothing wrong with these threads per se. We actually try to listen to our users. The problem is this thread like so many others devolves into something completely unconstructive. It's now five pages long and most of it is now people just getting on one another. That doesn't help us or anyone else. Stay constructive, be respectful, and maybe something useful can be gained out of it. People are allowed opinions and are allowed to criticize. Just because someone doesn't agree with you or your personal taste, doesn't mean they are wrong.

This thread also shows just how personal peoples ideas are when it comes to look and style. We can never win with everyone. We've put a lot of effort into giving people options in Mint for colors, older and newer theme styles, etc. No decision, change, or thing we work on makes everyone happy.
Thank you!
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

JosephM wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:07 pm...
Well said. Read my mind. :) I think I naively thought this thread would lead to nothing but constructive criticism and the sharing of thoughts and ideas; it has been really interesting none-the-less, though.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
treysis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by treysis »

Neglection of IPv6.
☮🕊 Stop the war against Ukraine 🇺🇦!
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Neglect How???...IPV6 capability is already in Mint,Its the ISPs that havent implemented any real widespread usage of it, I dont have access to it myself because my ISP hasnt decided to make use of IPV6 as of yet.

It also helps if the web sites we all access also made themselves more accessible to IPV6.

Ask your ISP if thats the case for you...DAMIEN
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

My ISP has both IPv4 and IPv6 enabled now, there's no perceivable real difference to the end user though when it's working properly. While the IPv6 address is indeed not shown in Network Manager Connection overview it does actually work fine even with the custom Quad9 DNS values entered by me.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

antikythera wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:44 pm My ISP has both IPv4 and IPv6 enabled now, there's no perceivable real difference to the end user though when it's working properly. While the IPv6 address is indeed not shown in Network Manager Connection overview it does actually work fine even with the custom Quad9 DNS values entered by me.
Interesting...my system has been showing both for at least 3 years now, both in the GUI and CLI interfaces of Network Manager. I also use the Quad9 DNS servers for both.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

ajgringo619 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:51 pm Interesting...my system has been showing both for at least 3 years now, both in the GUI and CLI interfaces of Network Manager. I also use the Quad9 DNS servers for both.
Yeah, my mistake I meant the IPv6 DNS servers, the IP address itself is shown properly. I blame the number of beers I've drunk this afternoon :lol:

nmcli does show IPv6 DNS too, just the GUI in Cinnamon that doesn't (without opening the actual settings for the connection)

Code: Select all

DNS configuration:
        servers: 2620:fe::fe 2620:fe::9
        interface: enp2s0

servers: 9.9.9.9 149.112.112.112
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

antikythera wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:56 pm
ajgringo619 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:51 pm Interesting...my system has been showing both for at least 3 years now, both in the GUI and CLI interfaces of Network Manager. I also use the Quad9 DNS servers for both.
Yeah, my mistake I meant the IPv6 DNS servers, the IP address itself is shown properly. I blame the number of beers I've drunk this afternoon :lol:

nmcli does show IPv6 DNS too, just the GUI in Cinnamon that doesn't (without opening the actual settings for the connection)

Code: Select all

DNS configuration:
        servers: 2620:fe::fe 2620:fe::9

servers: 9.9.9.9 149.112.112.112
I'm running XFCE, and my Network Manager GUI does show the DNS configs; haven't tried on Cinnamon yet.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Yeah, my mistake I meant the IPv6 DNS servers, the IP address itself is shown properly
YEP...both cloudflare and quad9 both are IPV6 enabled, its now up to the ISPs as well as websites to initiate wider usage.

Its been about almost 2 decades now, I think, since IPV6 was supposed to be widely available, since we all know that IPV4 address were rapidly diminishing, but i think wide spread usage is going to be the same deal we have seen with trying to get HTML adoption over Flash, to be adopted.
With admirable foresight, the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) initiated as early as in 1994, the design and development of a suite of protocols and standards now known as Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6), as a worthy tool to phase out and supplant IPv4 over the coming years. There is an explosion of sorts in the number and range of IP capable devices that are being released in the market and the usage of these by an increasingly tech savvy global population. The new protocol aims to effectively support the ever-expanding Internet usage and functionality, and also address security concerns.
It basically has taken the browser developers to bring a halt to the problem plagued Flash utilities such as Adobe Flash etc. to erect a tomb stone over Flash to finally accomplish the full implementaion of HTML as it has taken this long since its origins in the early 1990s, and force the web sites to abandon Flash usage, which i believe is this month of Dec. 2020 to hold the funeral of Flash...Finally...DAMIEN

https://www.ipv6.com/general/ipv6-the-h ... -timeline/
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

ajgringo619 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:00 pm I'm running XFCE, and my Network Manager GUI does show the DNS configs; haven't tried on Cinnamon yet.
Well you'll see something like this, the actual settings when opened are fine, it's just the overview that isn't.

Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

I know I’m venturing back in to contentious territory but I’d like to talk about colour a bit more. This is an attempt at a constructive opinion and it only applies to the online presence, not the distro itself...

The Linux Mint name was originally derived from the perspective of being a fresh take on how to build and present a distro. Mint is fresh, and it’s green. Not only that, it’s a lighter shade of green.

What’s good about light green? It’s an attention grabber.

What’s bad about too much light green? You don’t know where to focus your attention.

What’s good about any particular colour if that’s all you see. Not a lot.

I can look at a flat green field and it’s interesting for less than a minute. The same goes if I’m looking straight up at a clear blue sky. I’d imagine the snow in the poles would be the same. We like a bit of variety and contrast in what we see. So I think the focus is wrong when honing in on a single colour – it should be on colours, as in a palette.

I think the light green of the Mint logo, as an eye catcher, is a good colour to reinforce brand identity. It’s also a good colour for steering a user towards actionable elements such as links and buttons on websites. Other than small accent colours here and there it probably shouldn’t be used much more than that. (IMO that’s where the forum and the lm.com site slip up a bit – too much of it).

Next comes the palette, and here the options rise up. If you go with equally vibrant colors they might compete for the eye and detract from the content. If you go too dull it might fail to excite. Too many colours can disturb the overall structure, but the right number can be used to break up block copy and create structure (as seen here on the forum between alternating thread posts).

What’s interesting is that few people, if any, refer to the LM blog when challenging the colours. It has a subdued green, a dark brown, and neutral white background for the content. Maybe all it needs is the current logo and a bit more of the light green to complete the picture?

The next thing is brand consistency. When you go from the main site to the blog to the forum it should feel like you’re in the same house. Same logo and same color palette, with maybe a few small differences for variety. Good navigation between all three is also important, but that’s a different subject.

To highlight what I’m talking about here’s some examples. I’m not saying this is how things should look, but just trying to make the point that green is fine if the overall impression is balanced. I haven’t put much time into this, so I know the palette could be better...

blog.linuxmint.com. This is the most recent of the live LM builds so I largely based the palette for the forum and main site on this. The changes were done via my browser and took about 5 minutes : current logo, change of font on the site title, and recent posts links given a dark green background that changes to light green when hovered over.

forums.linuxmint.com. Changes done via browser and took about 30 minutes.

linuxmint.com. This was a little test build a number of weeks ago filling in an evening with little else to do. Maybe still too much green but just a proof of concept that tries to retain the LM identity. Obviously a rebuild of the live site would require a chunk of time commitment from the LM devs / Clem.

Re the distro itself, as others have said it’s fine asis. Part of the fun is theming it to suit individual tastes anyway. That flexibility is inherent within the distro.

If it was down to me and I wanted to change the LM web presence, roughly speaking I’d:

- Choose a common palette based around the colour of the logo, for the forum, blog, and main site.
- Choose a layout that could be applied to the blog and main site (probably combining them as one), and make all three the same width in the browser.
- Make sure the branding / identity was consistent across all three.
- As far as possible make sure the navigation to and from each area was consistent.

In summary, I think the green of the logo strongly represents and reinforces the distro identity, and it’s just a case of balancing what appears around it in a consistent manner.

That's my thoughts anyway :)
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Being a South Boston Irishman, I will always remember what my mother always said about "green", (which is one of my favourite colours), when i was stopped at a traffic light and then turned green.

She would always say, if i didnt go immediately, "If your looking for another shade of green to just go, you will have to go back to the old "sod" in order to have a choice of forty shades of green to choose from"...lol...DAMIEN
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:12 pm...She would always say, if i didnt go immediately, "If your looking for another shade of green to just go, you will have to go back to the old "sod" in order to have a choice of forty shades of green to choose from"...lol...DAMIEN
A variation I once read was when an Irishman near Belfast told a driver who didn't go on green right away yelled out, "Are ye waitin' for a particular shade of green?"
Jeannie

DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

YEP...Jeannie, She would say that as well...lol...DAMIEN

Ps...I have to say in my defense though...Never had an accident that was my fault and have always been a cautious driver...lol.
treysis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by treysis »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:09 pm
Neglect How???...IPV6 capability is already in Mint,Its the ISPs that havent implemented any real widespread usage of it, I dont have access to it myself because my ISP hasnt decided to make use of IPV6 as of yet.

It also helps if the web sites we all access also made themselves more accessible to IPV6.
Well, the website of Mint doesn't have IPv6 enabled (though at least their DDoS protection DOES have support for IPv6). Cinnamon as mentioned below. Also the newly introduced Warpinator doesn't know anything about IPv6. Probably some other stuff. Like I said, while it's not disabled, it's still a bit neglected.
antikythera wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:19 pm Well you'll see something like this, the actual settings when opened are fine, it's just the overview that isn't.

Exactly this has been bugging me. I think I tried to submit an issue on github. Don't remember exactly anymore though. Also, I had difficulties figuring out which repository this issue should be posted to.
☮🕊 Stop the war against Ukraine 🇺🇦!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”