What Don't You Like about Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Re: What Don't You Like about Linux Mint?

Post by Menard »

The politics of the developpers make that Linux is still not able to be advised to newbies, and its consequence : low market place, and then Linux make you spotted by webmasters, algoritms etc !! (Twitter, Facebook ... )

I explain more : associated with your location (town) or your ISP , to use Linux, and worse, a rare browser ... it is a major privacy issue
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon - K 5.15 - Desktop - english
AMD APU A8 7600 - DDR3 1833 MHz 8 GB x2 Dual Channel
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
APSchmidt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by APSchmidt »

Menard wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:28 am The politics of the developpers make that Linux is still not able to be advised to newbies, and its consequence : low market place, and then Linux make you spotted by webmasters, algoritms etc !! (Twitter, Facebook ... )

I explain more : associated with your location (town) or your ISP , to use Linux, and worse, a rare browser ... it is a major privacy issue
What?
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

APSchmidt wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:35 am
Menard wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:28 am The politics of the developpers make that Linux is still not able to be advised to newbies, and its consequence : low market place, and then Linux make you spotted by webmasters, algoritms etc !! (Twitter, Facebook ... )

What?
Work about the item : Fingerprint
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

The same fingerprint information is left by Windows and Mac users on the internet, it's how the internet works and websites with ads are funded. That's why ad and script blockers exist cross platform.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

antikythera wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:43 am The same fingerprint information is left by Windows and Mac users on the internet, it's how the internet works and websites with ads are funded. That's why ad and script blockers exist cross platform.
Not to mention that having the right browser helps thwart attempts at fingerprinting.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

antikythera wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:43 am The same fingerprint information is left by Windows and Mac users on the internet, it's how the internet works and websites with ads are funded. That's why ad and script blockers exist cross platform.
Fingerprint i spart of some profiling, profiling begins with your localization, then your OS, so do you deny that Linux is far less frequent than Windows ?
--

majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

What I don't like is that people come over from some other OS that they really don't like and then complain about Mint or linux in general. But I respect their right to complain - I just don't like it - so . . . . . . . . complain away :mrgreen:
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

There is no OS that works, that's the sad reality of this world ... France had the best health system in the word, now we are in the worsts ... all is like this
--

converse
Level 1
Level 1

Post by converse »

A: I can't run all the applications I want.

My main machine for all office work over the last year has been a 15 year old mac mini running Mint, and its all I need for pretty much everything. My problem with Mint is that it won't run a few applications that I have to run for work (eg Sketchup Studio, Scrivener), so I had to buy a new PC as well, which is annoying because it's more computer tat in the office, and means I tend to do stuff (like this post for example) in windows which I don't need to. Having had a cheap, stable computer for nearly a year, I'm once more stuck with something that randomly freezes and turns itself off, then tells me I need to create a Microsoft account before I can do something really important.
jjp2145-oldtimer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jjp2145-oldtimer »

I am starting to dislike being downstream of Ubuntu.

We inherited a buggy installer. We have those ACPI BIOS error messages whenever we boot. Some of the programs in the repositories don't work because they are out of date or missing dependencies, and as Canonical embraces snaps more aggressively, I expect this problem to get worse.

I think I will try LMDE one of these days. Probably whenever LMDE 5 comes out.

I also don't care what colour Linux Mint is, and if I did I would just change it on my system anyway. I care more about the 20 seconds it took me to realize that colour is the proper English English spelling of color.
If you need sudo to edit it, back it up first. If I tell you to edit something with sudo and forgot to tell you to back it up, back it up anyway. sudo cp backup or cat > backup.txt.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Menard said,
profiling begins with your localization
I find this humourous...im only an hour and 15 minutes away from the Mexican border by automobile, yet my internet says im in Madison Wisconsin right now...it changes constantly...you need to use the right browser and the right extensions to accomplish this in linux, windows, or macs...it makes no difference what OS your using...Knowing what you are doing DOES make a difference...DAMIEN
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Menard wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:11 pm There is no OS that works, that's the sad reality of this world ... France had the best health system in the word, now we are in the worsts ... all is like this
0.o. What are you even talking about? You go from your opinion of " there is no OS that works" to your opinion of France's health system compared to the rest of the world. This is linux mint forums lol. Are you ok?
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:15 pm Menard said,
profiling begins with your localization
I find this humourous...im only an hour and 15 minutes away from the Mexican border by automobile, yet my internet says im in Madison Wisconsin right now...it changes constantly...you need to use the right browser and the right extensions to accomplish this in linux, windows, or macs...it makes no difference what OS your using...Knowing what you are doing DOES make a difference...DAMIEN
No, it is just not possible in France, I am localized by websites unless I use a VPN, but a VPN, either is a security breach or is expensive, and especially the most used free VPNs as Opera are at high risk to be banned by social media and other critical websites
--

Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Menard wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:25 am I am localized by websites unless I use a VPN, but a VPN, either is a security breach or is expensive, and especially the most used free VPNs as Opera are at high risk to be banned by social media and other critical websites
Okay, but none of these are problems that lie with Mint.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

My problems with Mint:

1) It is too easy to install. I mean Linux needs to be hard, and take hours and hours to get anything resembling a proper desktop and usable hardware! You need to be a software engineer or guru to use Linux, only the elite need apply.
2) It is too easy to customize. Operating Systems need to only allow you to use "THE ONE TRUE WAY"! Just look at Mac O/S or Windows!
3) It updates too quickly. It should take hours and hours of agony and reboots to update!
4) It has too much added software. You should have to pay for every software package installed! An office suite, that should be at least $100 extra! Come on Now!
5) It is too easy to add new software packages. Come on, you need a store that is curated and only allows "official" releases (for a price).
6) There is no spyware. Really, software needs to phone home immediately and monetize you!
7) It just works. Come on now we need at least a minimum of one BSOD a week just to show us that we need to give software companies more money! After all software is not perfect! After all software should crash on a regular basis.

I know I have left things out, but these are my major complaints.....
APSchmidt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by APSchmidt »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:13 am My problems with Mint:
Yep, somebody had similar complaints. :)

My only complaint is not directly related to Linux Mint: it appears that certain companies that make their software Linux compatible have decided to restrict them to Ubuntu. I won't mention what company but I use a software that was fully compatible with Mint in the past but is progressively drifting towards "Ubuntu only"... :(
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:13 am My problems with Mint ...

I know I have left things out ...
Cor, yeah, HAVEN'T YOU :mrgreen:

I had a Kernel update today and it took maybe as much as three - maybe even FOUR whole minutes - to download, install and reboot.

And d'you know what?

It's running perfectly.

I hate that. :lol:
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

@dorsetUK: That's disgraceful. We deserve better!
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

1) It is too easy to install. I mean Linux needs to be hard, and take hours and hours to get anything resembling a proper desktop and usable hardware! You need to be a software engineer or guru to use Linux, only the elite need apply.
2) It is too easy to customize. Operating Systems need to only allow you to use "THE ONE TRUE WAY"! Just look at Mac O/S or Windows!
3) It updates too quickly. It should take hours and hours of agony and reboots to update!
4) It has too much added software. You should have to pay for every software package installed! An office suite, that should be at least $100 extra! Come on Now!
5) It is too easy to add new software packages. Come on, you need a store that is curated and only allows "official" releases (for a price).
6) There is no spyware. Really, software needs to phone home immediately and monetize you!
7) It just works. Come on now we need at least a minimum of one BSOD a week just to show us that we need to give software companies more money! After all software is not perfect! After all software should crash on a regular basis.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We really need an emoji of the little round guy with big shoes rolling on the floor, pounding it with his fist, and laughing himself silly.

Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Yep - that pretty much sums it up . . . . I think we are done here.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”