What Don't You Like about Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

What Don't You Like about Linux Mint?

Post by Termy »

Most people tend to be only too happy to sing praises, but what don't you like about Linux Mint? It might wind up being interesting feedback for the developers. We could also discuss what we don't like, perhaps offering solutions, ideas, or alternatives, provided it's constructive.

I'll start:

Configuring the system in such a way that the user cannot update the kernel via the terminal (sudo apt-get dist-upgrade). This is unnecessarily restrictive, IMO. If the user goes out of their way to open up a terminal and enter in commands as an alternative for what a GUI offers, they should be allowed to do so.

This is what I've observed in Linux Mint 18.3 with Cinnamon, but if this has changed in recent versions, then yay.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Re: What Don't You Like about Linux Mint?

Post by MartyMint »

I don't like having Timeshift "bolted on" to the upgrade procedure between releases.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

MartyMint wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:07 pm I don't like having Timeshift "bolted on" to the upgrade procedure between releases.
I didn't know about this. What do you mean by "bolted on"?
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Termy wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:08 pm
I didn't know about this. What do you mean by "bolted on"?
You are compelled to go through a Timeshift backup if you do the direct upgrade between Mint releases.
I suppose there's a workaround...and I understand why it's there...but... :roll:
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

System D(umb) and PulseAudio.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

MartyMint wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:21 pm You are compelled to go through a Timeshift backup if you do the direct upgrade between Mint releases.
I suppose there's a workaround...and I understand why it's there...but... :roll:
Lol. Fair enough. I think I'm with you on that! It should be a choice.
Schultz wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:25 pm System D(umb) and PulseAudio.
I've had a really good experience with PA over the years -- mostly --, so I'm surprised to read that would be a reason for disliking Mint. Do you tend to just uninstall PA in favor of something else?
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Schultz wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:25 pm PulseAudio.
I did audio production on Linux before Pulseaudio.

You either didn't or you don't remember it well.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

I didn't. Lol Unless you count making YouTube videos for a few years, but I doubt it. Must say though, one thing I love about PA is the live noise-cancelling feature you can enable; it's made the audio quality so much better. One thing I can definitely complain about though, is the annoying clicks when I start a recording.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Imagine using Linux Mint minus pavucontrol with...

bluetooth

hdmi audio

usb audio

networked audio

I could go on...
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Poor backwards compatibility.
  • things get left out in newer kernels so stuff stops working on older hardware (had issues with my external monitor on any kernel > 4.5.7). It got worse on the 5.x kernels.
  • software that was in the repos, but not now, e.g. chromium (now changed), shutter (now a ppa). Some of this is self-inflicted in LM20 with the decision not to support python2 (still a lot of software out there dependent on it - it means pulling stuff out of earlier repos, e.g. ubuntu 18.04).
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

In my 4 Mint world--nothing to fix, everything works out of box, no problems, no frustrations.
almost boring

Not the same for every newer hardware combo though, but new kernels are being released and updted often.
I am blessed, the 8 year old xeon workstation has worked perfectly so far on every Mint.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Trepie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Trepie »

I would prefer to have a stock Firefox experience after a new install. Don't appreciate that hoop I have to jump though to get google search turned back on.

All of my windows like to maximize to my secondary monitor when I start my day for some reason. I don't shutdown or lock the computer at night, just turn the monitors off.

Other than that nothing else to complain about. Linux Mint Cinnamon has been one of the most stable Linux experiences I've had.
msseufert
Level 2
Level 2

Post by msseufert »

Termy wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:02 pm Configuring the system in such a way that the user cannot update the kernel via the terminal (sudo apt-get dist-upgrade). This is unnecessarily restrictive, IMO. If the user goes out of their way to open up a terminal and enter in commands as an alternative for what a GUI offers, they should be allowed to do so.
Pedantically speaking. dist-upgrade is Debian's way of allowing a user to upgrade to the next release. For example version 9 to 10, or from stable to testing. etc. It's not a kernel upgrading tool, so in practice dist-upgrade doesn't upgrade the kernel on any up-to-date Debian based system either. To upgrade the kernel in Debian one must explicitly install it. IE apt install linux-image-5.8.0 In Linux Mint, kernels can be managed through the Update Manager => View => Linux Kernels.

---

What I don't like about Linux Mint is that it doesn't make coffee or bake cookies.
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon Edge.
Intel i9 10th Gen deca-core, 64GB RAM
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

What I don't like about Mint is that the documentation is lacking. The installation guide is outdated and there is no decent and up to date manual online.
I understand how these things happen (after all someone has to do it) but there it is.

I'm happy that Mint doesn't bake cookies, for the sake of my waistline. I have one and intend to keep it that way.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I'm happy that Mint doesn't bake cookies, for the sake of my waistline. I have one and intend to keep it that way.
Hi Moem,
Im glad you still got yours going for you, but i cant resist a joke on myself with that "line".

Ive got one too...somewhere i guess...just cant remember...I think i misplaced mine...are my pants supposed to ride above the naval or below it???

Ive been on weight watchers for years now...Yep, still watching all that weight go on...lol.

You know your fat when your pants are ordered online with "expansion" panels on each side for "comfort fit"...lol

Can we make my cookies chocolate chip???...lol...DAMIEN
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

It used to annoy me that synaptic could not be used to upgrade packages.
I now realise that it's possible to install the Ubuntu version of synaptic over the mint version, thereby getting the upgrade option back.

I never suffered the problems spoken of if i use synaptic in Ubuntu for upgrades, though I generally use aliases for update and upgrade in terminal which is a lot quicker.
bjmh46
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bjmh46 »

"Suspend" has not been reliable in versions after mint 17.x . Co-incidentally 17 was the last non-systemd version.
this is on several thinkpads and latitudes. Finally couldn't stand the "suspense" of not knowing if a laptop was going to wake from suspend and be functional or not. I now leave everything run 24/7 except that I turn off the display after 15 min. inactivity. MX-linux has always reliably suspended on all my laptops and it is non-systemd.

Ever since switching from 18.3 to 19.3, with the newer version of xfce, thunar is very slow at transferring files. Not really a mint problem per-se, since it's part of xfce, but annoying in any case. I now use double-commander for large file operations. (~50% faster than the new thunar). Mint 20 is the same.

Minor gripes, nothing that makes me want to leave mint xfce for another distro.

Regards
Bob
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

Documentation
I'm going to second Moem on the documentation. It is out of date which I think leads to the same support questions being asked here on the forum for example. It might also be a deterrent for potential new users. I think it would be worth redirecting some of the donations, if necessary and if feasible, to get a technical writer on board, even if on a fixed term basis.

linuxmint.com
Needs a refresh.

Nemo performance issues
I'd like to see any improvements introduced in LM20 backported to the 19 releases.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Slick Greeter and the enforced Linux Mint scheme for it that overrides any settings entered by the end user even as root. A tad too much Windows-like...
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

For me it's printing. Some documents will print right away and others may take way too long

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”