Is Mint a younger or older crowd?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Jeff13
Level 1
Level 1

Is Mint a younger or older crowd?

Post by Jeff13 »

Hi Folks;

This is kind of a spinoff from this thread. Smurphos Missing for 37 Days.

Several of the names mentioned in that thread seemed...lets go with experienced. The median age in the U.S. in 2018 according to duck duck go was 38.4.
Do you think the average Mint user is younger or older than that?
How about the average Linux user overall? Just curious.
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Is Mint a younger or older crowd?

Post by all41 »

Looking at the daily Birthday list in the board index I see more older than younger
most everytime I look
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
You will seldom see a grey-beard wearing a tinfoil hat.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

it's an whole bunch of Retired Folks, in the main .. they have the Time to Play Around.

there is also some younger folks, as well, particularly around senior high school age.

would you believe, that there is even some Ladies on this forum ?.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

I started using LM full time when I was 43.

I first touched GNU+Linux (RedHat 4.2) when I was 25.

So, i guess I've been at this on both sides of the median age. :lol:
Your humble Portreve.

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0

Problem solved? Mark your thread [SOLVED] | There’s no place like ::1
I used to be a natural people person, then people ruined it.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

I'm similar to Portreve give or take a couple of years. I started using Linux initially in my teens but am using LMDE4 as main distribution in my 40s. I got tired of bleeding edge rolling distribution maintenance and the machine I am using LMDE4 on is 6 years old anyway. Therefore there's no point running the latest kernels and modules. I have the best of both worlds now, stable base system with the specific packages I want to have that are bang up to date sourced from flatpak.

As for the overall average it is probably mid to late 50s because there are folk in their 70s-90s using Mint as well as some evident Millennial folk who expect Mint which they downloaded and installed for free to be as comprehensively supported as Mac, Chrome OS or Windows by their hardware that went on sale yesterday :lol:
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Pierre wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:11 pm
True fact! And even some women that don't care for the term ladies... :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

I suspect many Linux users would be above the median age. It might be down to a wisdom that comes with experience and the resistance to being 'sold to'. Less likely to be taken in by flashing lights and slick salesmen. I think the same can be seen in all walks of life, when I was younger new cars were an attraction, now not so. Same goes with smartphones - no way I'd be drawn in by 'flagships'. I'll admit to drooling over some of the latest digital cameras, but there's also a good degree of satisfaction in tailoring and using the tools you have to get the best out of what you've got.

My steps to getting here - CPM/DOS/Windows/Mac/Windows/Ubuntu/Linux Mint. Not going anywhere else now unless something unforeseen happens to the distro.
Last edited by Mick-Cork on Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

Moem wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:49 am
some women that don't care for the term ladies... :wink:
Yes, well I'm not surprised - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ8e6UVpLNg

In fact I'm fairly sure I don't know any Women that do like being referred to as a Lady even if they laugh it off when someone says 'Ladies first' or something else equally cringe worthy.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
SMG
Level 7
Level 7

Post by SMG »

Pierre wrote:
Yes, there are. And as woman who's first programming class was the last semester Fortran was taught using cards at my university, I'm past the median age.

I think the age of the average Mint user may well be a reflection of the average age of a person using a computer. Computer use/sales went down as phones became more powerful and people (ones who weren't really "computer people" to start with) tended to drift away from computers and go to phone use only. COVID seems to be helping reverse some of that trend as people realize the benefits of a keyboard and something bigger than a tiny screen.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

SMG wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:01 pm
Computer use/sales went down as phones became more powerful and people (ones who weren't really "computer people" to start with) tended to drift away from computers and go to phone use only.
This is a very good point. Most people under 40 will use their 'smart phone' more than a desktop or even laptop these days, unless they work with computers in some manner etc.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
Swampthing
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Swampthing »

ZakGordon wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:32 pm
SMG wrote:
Computer use/sales went down as phones became more powerful and people (ones who weren't really "computer people" to start with) tended to drift away from computers and go to phone use only.
This is a very good point. Most people under 40 will use their 'smart phone' more than a desktop or even laptop these days, unless they work with computers in some manner etc.
I can definitely recognise this. After I scrapped my old desktop that ran Windows XP, I used iPhones and iPads as my daily driver for several years.
Then I was given a laptop with Windows10, which I quickly abandoned because of their lack of privacy.
The best alternative I found was LM and I'm still here and going nowhere.
I'm in my 40's BTW.
bjmh46
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bjmh46 »

SMG wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Yes, there are. And as woman who's first programming class was the last semester Fortran was taught using cards at my university, I'm past the median age.

I think the age of the average Mint user may well be a reflection of the average age of a person using a computer. Computer use/sales went down as phones became more powerful and people (ones who weren't really "computer people" to start with) tended to drift away from computers and go to phone use only. COVID seems to be helping reverse some of that trend as people realize the benefits of a keyboard and something bigger than a tiny screen.
Ah, someone else who remembers fortran4 with watfor! I used the punchcards as well, until I discovered the few terminals scattered around the campus. I'm 74, and I confess to using the term "ladies" which I've always considered a term of respect for women. Guess it depends on age, location, politics, etc. I'll be careful how I use it in the future!

Regards,
Bob
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Moem wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:49 am
Pierre wrote:
True fact! And even some women that don't care for the term ladies... :wink:
You say that like it's a bad thing. :wink:

All seriousness aside, being a woman "of a certain age", I have no problem being called a lady.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

All seriousness aside, being a woman "of a certain age", I have no problem being called a lady.
Hi Lady Fitzgerald,
This is from me to you...Enjoy...DAMIEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywlKD4J-hUI
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Mick-Cork wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:56 am
I suspect many Linux users would be above the median age. It might be down to a wisdom that comes with experience and the resistance to being 'sold to'. Less likely to be taken in by flashing lights and slick salesmen.
That's likely down to the individual Millennial in question. My experience with them, on the whole, is that they were born into a fully exposed reality, not unlike in some respects the character Alia in the Dune series by Frank Herbert, and are a mix of being jaded from a young age, and simply having different priorities.

I think the same can be seen in all walks of life, when I was younger new cars were an attraction, now not so. Same goes with smartphones - no way I'd be drawn in by 'flagships'. I'll admit to drooling over some of the latest digital cameras, but there's also a good degree of satisfaction in tailoring and using the tools you have to get the best out of what you've got.
The place where this concept falls apart — and don't take this the wrong way: on the whole, this is a valid concept in life — is that when you're dealing with devices and what I will call "device/software composites" for want of a better term, often they cannot be repurposed, either fully or at all, because there are inherent limitations. Not all of these limits are nefarious, of course. If, for example, you need 5G, you can't somehow contrive that into existence through mere software alone. On the other hand, as I recently commented in another discussion thread here, buying a flagship phone isn't as necessary now as it once was, simply because so much capability is now available much more broadly. For example, my Moto G Power is a darned good Android device choice in spite of it not being a flagship tier device.
SMG wrote:
I agree strongly with both of these points.
Your humble Portreve.

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0

Problem solved? Mark your thread [SOLVED] | There’s no place like ::1
I used to be a natural people person, then people ruined it.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
SMG
Level 7
Level 7

Post by SMG »

bjmh46 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:26 am
Ah, someone else who remembers fortran4 with watfor! I used the punchcards as well, until I discovered the few terminals scattered around the campus. I'm 74, and I confess to using the term "ladies" which I've always considered a term of respect for women. Guess it depends on age, location, politics, etc. I'll be careful how I use it in the future!

Regards,
Bob
I don't have a big objection to the term lady, but as someone who's been an athlete her entire life and obtained her first tech degree in the early 80's the term was often used to limit what I could or should be doing rather than one of respect. It wasn't lady-like to be getting sweaty. It wasn't lady-like to be taking calculus in high school and doing better than males in my class.

Early in my engineering career I received mail at the office addressed to Mr. SMG with my very female first name spelled out on the envelope. Because of course engineers would be male; only the secretary would be female. :roll: And yet I assume members on this forum (unless I specifically know otherwise) are male even though I am not. :lol: It's a learned reflex I'm doing my best to undo.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:42 am
Hi Lady Fitzgerald,
This is from me to you...Enjoy...DAMIEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywlKD4J-hUI
Thank you! Now, if the singer was also a lady... :wink:
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
JesseRBassett
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JesseRBassett »

I am probably one of the younger people who use Linux Mint. I like Mint a lot better than all the other distributions. The thing that sold me when I first tried Mint 18 was the Uninstall option on the application menu. I have yet to see that on the other major distros. Sure some have it but not right on the main menu screen. Plus I like how Mint works well with my Acer R3700. I have 2 gb of Ram and it purrs like a kitten with Mint 20.
Sincerely,
Jesse B.

Acer Aspire Revo R3700 Desktop l Linux Mint 20 Uylana l 2gb DDR3 RAM l 232gb HDD l
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Thank you! Now, if the singer was also a lady... :wink:
Best I could do on the spur of the moment...cant win em all...lol...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"
DisturbedDragon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DisturbedDragon »

Been using Linux in one form or another since I was 21. Now 44 and using Linux Mint exclusively on several systems since version 10 if memory serves.
AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16C/32T | MSI x470 Gaming Pro | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Nvidia RTX2080 OC | Linux Mint 20.0 Cinnamon

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”