Do you donate to the Linux Mint Project? If so, why?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Why do you donate to the Linux Mint Project?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:21 pm

I want something specific in return for my donation
No votes
I want to encourage Clem & Co. to continue their libre software efforts
43%
I want to show my support for the alternative¹ to proprietary software
35%
Something else
5%
I also financially support one or more *other* libre software projects.
16%

Total votes: 37

Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Do you donate to the Linux Mint Project? If so, why?

Post by Portreve »

I'll start.

I picked options two and three in my vote. I didn't pick option one because the other specific things I "want" within the libre software world are not within Clem & Company's ability to do, and I didn't pick option four because it just doesn't apply.

Also, if you don't donate to LM, why not?

¹ Meaning libre software in general, not any specific distro or other libre project in particular.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
ajgringo619

Re: Do you donate to the Linux Mint Project? If so, why?

Post by ajgringo619 »

I picked option #4; I also support LibreOffice. Mint was the first open-source project that I had donated to, mainly because of its stability and this user forum.
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

I think Mint is awesome. Stable, easy to install, easy to use, even suited for pure end users, and looks elegant (Cinnamon). Mint is even preparing strategically to get by without Ubuntu if need be. However, there are real expenses such as hosting cost and dev time. Without money, I fear that there will be no more Mint in the future. That's why I donate.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

The laborer is worthy of his wages. (Or in this case, his donations.)
AdamFirst
Level 2
Level 2

Post by AdamFirst »

I'm old enough to have bought shareware.

I use Mint and support it. The same for another half dozen open source projects. As Shultz noted, the workman is worthy of his hire. But there is more to it than that, for me. I get the warm fuzzies knowing that I've aided things that are good for all of us.

I've sworn off of political donations, but I occasionally relapse. I give to things that I think will make a positive difference. Examples include Guttenberg, EFF, and Wikipedia.

I noticed that without support, things wither on the vine.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I marked #3. I am retired and after retirement I wanted an operating system that worked well is stable and did not keep nickle and diming me to death. I found Linux mint and switched. I then began volunteering at a local non profit in restoring/rebuilding computers and laptops.the non profit recycled hundreds of the laptops every week from throw aways. I began buying scraptops for $10 to $20 and adding reformatted HDD's and even SSD's and giving them away to neighbor kids that could not afford a decent computer. Some of these were even 32 bit machines with "puppy linux" because they would only handle a 4 to 8 gb wierd SSD card. The students and parents liked these because they were not able to deal with <violates forum rules> videos. The puppy linux was also able to run on home windows machines so the students could do some homework with libre office on more powerful machines.
I gave away over 150 laptops that way. when Covid hit many of the schools I helped switched to on line learning and guess who the hit up to show how to do their jobs. It only took a couple of days to point to the best resources and they were fully up and running with Linux.
I converted a lot of old MacBooks to linux for this purpose.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

there is an thought that the Windows System, comes Free, with your New Machine.
but, it doesn't .. the Hardware Manufacturer Paid for it, with the Bloatware they Installed.
and the Microsoft Corporation gives them some hansom discounts, to help out.

thus, my own thought, is to take a little of the $$$ saved, both in the Initial Purchase,
and in each subsequent year, and give some of that back, to the Linux World.

- it would be nice, is more Linux Users also agreed with that,
and supported any programmer that writes Linux based software.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Glad to see nobody so far has chosen the first option because they would be sadly disappointed. Donations don't work like that on any opensource project I know of :)
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
MoreLinux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MoreLinux »

That's very easy to answer. Linux Mint just works the way I want an operating system to work. I can use it with no customization's. That makes my life easier and I don't have to spend lot's of time on tweaking, compiling or adding other software packages repositories to use missing applications. With this saved time I can spend more time on other hobbies/projects. Makes my life more fun, and because creating Linux Mint is more or less the hobby of Clem and the development team, I donate every year some money to make their hobby also more fun.

Also, I'm not a newbie, I'm into Linux since 1995, work for a company that that does Linux. Over the last 25 years I think I have tried and used 25 distro's or more and are still trying new distro's. One thing I learned in this distro hopping is that my daily use (productive) laptop should be stable and just work. This is what Linux Mint brings to the table.

So Linux Mint is my preferred distro, and I will stay here until some other distro beats Linux Mint.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Something else, because I don't believe in accepting something free of cost if I can afford to pay at least a little towards it.
Cliff Coggin
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

My answer is similar to the one above, by MoreLinux: I have donated to Mint because it works so well for me that it doesn't need to be free. It has actual value to me. This value can be reflected in cold hard cash. 8)

Paradoxically, it's the first free OS that I've ever used. And at the same time it's the first OS that I've actually paid for. :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

I also financially support one or more *other* libre software projects.
Besides Mint I donate to Bodhi and PiHole

What she said . . .
Moem wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:37 am . . . . I have donated to Mint [and the others] because it works so well for me that it doesn't need to be free. It has actual value to me. This value can be reflected in cold hard cash. 8)
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I've paid for copies of both Windows and Mac OS X. When Windows XP first came out, I bought a copy to put on the self-built PC I had at the time. I also paid Apple for Mac OS X 10.0, and either one or two subsequent releases (I've forgotten the exact circumstances at this point). I've also bought at least two boxed copies of GNU+Linux, one of which was SuSE (this was in the days before it was bought up and split into a paid-for corporate release and a free-to-download community version) and I still have very fond memories of the manual because of how exceptionally well-written it was.

I just tried looking up how long I've been donating and I can't track it down. I know it's over a year, but all I can see is I'm listed on the donor page but there's no count number. I was a little concerned because I originally looked on the page with all the monthly contributions, and I didn't show up! :shock:
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
JesseRBassett
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JesseRBassett »

Yes I donate to Linux Mint. Mind you it is not a lot as I am not made out of $$$, but I do donate.
Sincerely,
Jesse R Bassett

My PC Specs:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=1B828140 ... ot&o=OneUp
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Portreve wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:21 pm I'll start.

I picked options two and three in my vote. I didn't pick option one because the other specific things I "want" within the libre software world are not within Clem & Company's ability to do, and I didn't pick option four because it just doesn't apply.

Also, if you don't donate to LM, why not?

¹ Meaning libre software in general, not any specific distro or other libre project in particular.
Hi Portreve,
I am glad to see this post and thanks for bringing this subject forward. Yes I have contributed about thirty times, been away for a while, but now is the time
to support the Mint team, especially now because of the eminent 20.1 releases, and because it is the Christmas season. The Mint team is knocking
themselves out to bring us new releases so a seasonable contribution is in order. I know Clem and group use contributions as they see fit to further Mint development and keep us in the mainstream.
Just sayin--I have always gotten more than my money's worth.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Options 2 and 3 for me. Mint just works, and it's worth chipping in a few bucks when I can. And thanks for reminding me, I need to go donate again.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”