Linux Mint Certification for Beginners

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Yamelesswrench
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint Certification for Beginners

Post by Yamelesswrench »

My new employer is currently putting me through an online introduction to Linux course from the Linux foundation, its distribution agnostic, with examples drawn from Ubuntu, CentOS and Suse, I run Mint at home and Ubuntu at work and from a training perspective there is no meaningful difference in the distributions. having a Linux Mint specific course would not make much sense.

This is not money I would have spent on my own, the information provided is widely available in the documentation, forums such as this one, reddit etc, but they are having me do it on the clock as part of my in-doc, and in that context having a unified methodical training resource makes sense instead of new hires (some of whom have no Linux experience) trying to figure it out on their own.
ccase01
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ccase01 »

sreesog wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:37 am
mikeflan wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:12 am I have the same view, but the truth is most people gave up on computers long ago.
No. Let us talk numbers!
The world population = 7.8 Billion
Less than 35 percentage of world population are internet users = 2.73 Billion
Out of that Mobile Users = 41.58% (Android) + 16.58% (IOS) = 58.16%
The remaining are Computer (PC + Laptop) users = 41.84% (Windows 31.73%, Apple's macOS 7.08%, Unknown : 1.19%, Other : 1.03%, Linux : 0.81%)
Number of PC Users with internet connectivity = 1.14 Billion.
These people, the windows, Mac, Linux PC users are the pottential customer. If out of the 2.74 Billion internet users, 41.58% is still on computers, it is well celar that the statement //most people gave up on computers long ago// is wrong. Because most of the mobile users are not one time computer users but instead new users who directly adopted mobile. :)
When listing these numbers it would be useful to site source.
Linux Mint 19.3
Lenovo Legion 17.3 Laptop
Intel© 6 Core™ i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz
64GB
Nvidia RTX 2080 MAXQ
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

ccase01 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:21 pmWhen listing these numbers it would be useful to site source.
You mean "give source site" ... or "cite where from" or... :?

In my case about a dozen users set up this past year and all from the same USB stick so how are they noted? About 20 over the previous two years.

If a percentage of users set up a few more computers for friends and relations there would be two to three times as many users as noted from downloads. Microsoft and Apple know how many they actually sell. Linux is "under the radar" as they say.
sreesog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sreesog »

RollyShed wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:08 pm In my case about a dozen users set up this past year and all from the same USB stick so how are they noted? About 20 over the previous two years.
If a percentage of users set up a few more computers for friends and relations there would be two to three times as many users as noted from downloads. Microsoft and Apple know how many they actually sell. Linux is "under the radar" as they say.
Most of such realizations comes from comparing the percentage statistics available from the study of useragent strings by some sites, and knowledge of population count etc that are already available. Bit of extrapolation gives us better understanding. :)
sreesog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sreesog »

Hoser Rob wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:08 am NO ONE is going to offer any certification courses aimed at personal edification rather than job prospects, and no one is going to sign up for a course like that either.
You can speak about yourself only and not all. Otherwise it would be prejudice. :)
sreesog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sreesog »

Cyberbleuet wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:20 am Why a certification for a specific distro ....
1) Because Linux Mint Cinnomon is the most beginner friendly.
2) Because LTS or Point release based distos (in short debian based distros and not arch based) are best suitable for countries with connectivity problems; for people who want to work things out of the box, and get workdone!
3) Because Linux Mint Cinnomon supports persistent USB and that too is helpful to beginners.
4) Because Linux Mint Cinnomon CAN replace windows 10, for very many users.
5) Because the wifi support is good in Linux Mint
6) Because debs/appImages/ElectronApps/Exes/PPAs/SNAPs etc all work in Linux Mint Cinnomon.
7) Because there is a lot to learn in Linux Mint Cinnomon that is different from what would be included/taught in a general linux course.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Okay, that answers "Why Mint?"
But I'm still wondering: "Why certification?" What would the purpose be?

You said before that it would be useful to promote Mint. I can't imagine how that would work.
If someone would have such a certificate, who would they show it to and why? Who would care about it?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I don't think any distro-level certification would be useful, except for where there's industry-useful elements, such as network management, sys admin, etc.

However, I'm going to go after Linux+, and that should be useful as a base-level cert.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”