To Update or not to update, that is the question...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: To Update or not to update, that is the question...

Post by MurphCID »

Pjotr wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:26 am
Jukeboxer wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:13 pm 30% of people who update have serious problems spending hours to recover.
99% of people who do not update nothing except the browser enjoy life.
Substantiation please. Evidence for those percentages.
Those stats seem suspect to me.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
One post archived because using words that are in the profanity filter, but getting around that by replacing some letters with punctuation, is explicitly against the forum rules. Carry on, but be nice. 8)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

I wonder why some do not update but will upgrade to a newer version of the OS.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

HaveaMint wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:17 pm I wonder why some do not update but will upgrade to a newer version of the OS.
The grass is always greener....
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:18 am To Update, or not to Update, that is the question. Whether it is nobler in the mind to keep your system current, or live with the concern that stability would be compromised? [Apologies to the Bard] I read the comments by the developers about updating, and for my part, I totally agree. However I understand that many out in Linux-land fear compromising their exhaustively constructed systems. So what are our opinions? For me, I am religious about updates, I don't miss one. I run the latest version (my System 76 systems almost demand it). The only old system is my dad's 19.3 installation which I made look like Windows XP for him. My brother maintains it for him, and he does not know the difference. We are probably going to update it to 20+ here in the next six months.
Me??

Me thinks you worry too much.

Auto Update.png
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Who? Me worry? Ha! I worry about the dumb *(!&$(*! stuff the kids do and download that causes me all sorts of tech support headaches.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Why is it that there are some computers, that the first time you use them, you just know that it is going to be one of your favorites, and there are others, that you just never warm up to.? It is like that with me and the Darter Pro, the keyboard is superb, the screen is really nice, but it is just meh. Not bad, just meh. On the other hand, the Lemur Pro does not have as good a keyboard as the Darter Pro, but is lighter, and much, much more enjoyable for me. I cannot for the life of me understand why this is, and why some computers just have "it", and others do not.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

My son called me today,

his company only buys High End Dell laptops.
and when one of them goes bonkers they just pitch it and buy a new one.

he has one that Blue Screened......
no effort made to find out why, he saved it from the trash can, took it home.
it will be mine the next time we get together . :D
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:18 amTo Update, or not to Update, that is the question.
Update what you want and when you want, not other.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Telyx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Telyx »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:00 pm My son called me today,

My laptop (a Dell Latitude E6420) was a rescue from my workplace too. A Windows update didn't go well and it wouldn't boot, so it sat on a shelf collecting dust for a few years before a manager went on a cleaning binge and was seconds away from throwing it into a scrap bin. I asked if I could try booting it; he expressed doubt that I'd have any luck. I plugged my Linux Mint 18 MATE live USB in, F12'd to select USB boot, and it booted right up. The manager let me take it home (even told me where to find a charger in his office), and now it has another 4GB of RAM, a new battery, and a SSD. Ten years old and running like new.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Telyx wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:55 pm
AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:00 pm My son called me today,

My laptop (a Dell Latitude E6420) was a rescue from my workplace too. A Windows update didn't go well and it wouldn't boot, so it sat on a shelf collecting dust for a few years before a manager went on a cleaning binge and was seconds away from throwing it into a scrap bin. I asked if I could try booting it; he expressed doubt that I'd have any luck. I plugged my Linux Mint 18 MATE live USB in, F12'd to select USB boot, and it booted right up. The manager let me take it home (even told me where to find a charger in his office), and now it has another 4GB of RAM, a new battery, and a SSD. Ten years old and running like new.
That is the way to do it.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:40 pm
MurphCID wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:18 am To Update, or not to Update, that is the question. Whether it is nobler in the mind to keep your system current, or live with the concern that stability would be compromised?

One has to decide if up to date security is more important than having a server up 24x7 that is responsible for delivering network services, including DNSSec, web proxy, DHCP, NAT, DNS, updates to connected user machines, and serving several hundred thousand files. Since my servers run NAT, and the servers themselves run behind another NAT on a completely different node (dual IP masquerading), the odds of someone breaking in from outside are very low (touch wood), so it's a no-brainer.
You do run quite a good set up. What do your servers run? Ubuntu, Debian, RHEL, SUSE or something else?
If your servers cater to users on the internet, that's great. Security is of prime importance. But rather than hosting your physical servers the trend now a days is to launch your services from the cloud or a managed virtual host.
e. g.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... aPImUHZPE8
This would be much cheaper rather than plan for infrastructure with almost 100% availability, the redundancy, the backups the DRs. The better redundancy is to run a parallel set up at a physically separate location.

I am also curious to know who are the users using the services on your servers?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

deepakdeshp wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:39 am You do run quite a good set up. What do your servers run? Ubuntu, Debian, RHEL, SUSE or something else?
LMDE4.
This would be much cheaper rather than plan for infrastructure with almost 100% availability, the redundancy, the backups the DRs. The better redundancy is to run a parallel set up at a physically separate location.
You neglected to account for all the fun that doing such a thing would take away.
I am also curious to know who are the users using the services on your servers?
If I told you that, I would have to kill you right after.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Yeah it's fun. I have a Ubuntu server and php applications installed on them, I AM the admin of phpbb the bulletin board of Mint, WordPress,Moodle,Koha, Wikimedia etc. I am the only user , the Ubuntu server running on a VM under Mint and. I access the server applications on the host Mint browser.

LMDE4 I thought was a desktop os unlike the Ubuntu server, but you chose it.

I want to live so don't tell me who uses your servers. But what are the application s running on the server? Tell me if not a secret.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”