Which Linux Mint do you recommend to me?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
luisa

Which Linux Mint do you recommend to me?

Post by luisa »

Hi everybody, there was a long time tha i wrote at this forum.
Now I have a" new" (really old) lap top it is acer aspire 3690, with 2gb RAM (don't remember HDD size believe 120 gb)32 bits. It came with Win Xp but I wanted to became it a little more new and i'd got win 7. but this is a seriously disaster, very very slow (a turtle run a head for a lot) so I thought install at my lap Linux, and I was reading linux mint now is better than ubuntu (I also have and other computer with Kilyn, tha before was more better than now it is, and with ubuntu),

there are l mint cinamont, or mete or others. Wich one do you recoment to me?

Sorry my bad English I hope you can understand me.

Thanks very much for your response
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Wiich linux mint do you recoment to me?

Post by sleeper12 »

Try LM 19.2 Xfce on that old machine. You can try it in a live session before you install it just to see if it works well for you.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Frankly, I think you will most probably not get any useful use out of it. If you have plenty of time to waste playing around then you can try something but I think you will probably be disappointed. Let us know how it goes if you try.

If you want to be practical and have something useful I would recommend at least a dual core processor and 4 GB RAM.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
luisa

Re: Which Linux Mint do you recommend to me?

Post by luisa »

by GS3 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:58 pm

Frankly, I think you will most probably not get any useful use out of it. If you have plenty of time to waste playing around then you can try something but I think you will probably be disappointed. Let us know how it goes if you try.
thanks sure this lap is not for work, I use it at nithg to navagate a litle for while, facebook, nothink important. ebcause at my house hasn't any compuiter now and sometime i'm bured
by sleeper12 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:47 pm

Try LM 19.2 Xfce on that old machine. You can try it in a live session before you install it just to see if it works well for you.
thanks i'm going to try, but what the mater when it would want to actualizer
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

luisa wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:04 pm

thanks i'm going to try, but what the mater when it would want to actualizer
Not sure if I understand you, but 19.2 is supported until April 2023. By the way, be sure you try the 32 bit version, not 64 bit.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

luisa wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:30 pmNow I have a" new" (really old) lap top it is acer aspire 3690, with 2gb RAM (don't remember HDD size believe 120 gb)32 bits.
You sure it is a 32 bit machine? The specs I see say it has an Intel Celeron 420 processor which is 64 bit architecture. Better double check.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

GS3 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:58 pm Frankly, I think you will most probably not get any useful use out of it. If you have plenty of time to waste playing around then you can try something but I think you will probably be disappointed. Let us know how it goes if you try.

If you want to be practical and have something useful I would recommend at least a dual core processor and 4 GB RAM.
I agree with this statement. Linux will run better than any modern Windows, but it's not magic.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

GS3 wrote: The specs I see say it has an Intel Celeron 420 processor which is 64 bit architecture.
Intel says it's 32-bit.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... z-fsb.html
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

luisa wrote: ... acer aspire 3690 ...
Echoing the advice of others, +1 for LM 19.2 Xfce. Supported until April 2023. It defaults to the 4.15.x kernel, which seems to typically work better with older hardware. After installation, you can upgrade to LM 19.3 if you wanted, and it would stay with the 4.15.x series.

Looks like that model came with three CPU options, all 32-bit from what I read, but you can try 64-bit to see if it works. You'll find out quickly if it doesn't. :) Otherwise 32-bit is available.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

JoeFootball wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:53 pmIntel says it's 32-bit.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... z-fsb.html
You are probably right that it is the M model which is 32 bit.

I had found the regular, non-mobile, model which is 64 bit: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... z-fsb.html
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

OldStudent wrote: Mint 13 ...
Presuming you mistyped somehow, as support for LM 13 ended quite some time ago. :)
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

JoeFootball wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:49 amPresuming you mistyped somehow, as support for LM 13 ended quite some time ago. :)
The fact that it is no longer supported is something to take into account but not an absolute disqualifier. If that is the last version that runs and it is either that or dump the computer then I would use that.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

GS3 wrote: The fact that it is no longer supported is something to take into account but not an absolute disqualifier. If that is the last version that runs and it is either that or dump the computer then I would use that.
If you'd like to propose a scenario where an unsupported OS from 2012 is appropriate, so be it. :) In the scenario proposed by the OP, I'd still suggest trying LM 19.2 Xfce.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I'd also definitely also recommend 19.2 Xfce.

It'll still be very slow though. You'll want to disable all the desktop compositing/eye candy.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
luisa

Post by luisa »

Thanks all of you, you very kind.

this are the laptop:
Descripción corta Acer Aspire 3690-2616 DDR2-SDRAM 39.1 cm (15.4") 1280 x 800 Pixeles Intel® Celeron® M 0.5 GB 80 GB Intel® GMA 950 Windows Vista Home Basic :
Windows Vista® Home Basic Original , Procesador Intel® Celeron® M 430 (1.73GHz/1MB L2/533MHz FSB), Chipset Intel 940GML, 512MB RAM (512/0) DDRII-533, Disco duro 80GB SATA @5400RPM, Video Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950, hasta 224MB UMA (DVMT3), Unidad óptica DVD-SuperMulti DL (DVD±RW) 8x, Batería 6 celdas Li-Ion, cámara 0.3Mp, Fax/Modem de 56Kbps V.92, Red Fast Ethernet 10/100 Mbps, Red inalámbrica IEEE802.11 b+g, antena Acer SignalUp, Pantalla de 15.4" TFT Activa WXGA (1280x800) CrystalBrite
just increase the RAM to 2G

I will try your recommendation, because although it will only be used to pass the time (not only games, also browse a little but not investigate or work, I hope you understand, spend time on facebook, or some other place of those) it is exasperating how slow it is to do everything, also it keeps getting me the sign that win7 is no longer bearable and that I update to another version (but as if it can't even hold win7).
I reiterate they are very kind and thank you for taking the time to resolve my question.

I also thought about installing some android OS, what do you think?
luisa

Post by luisa »

[url]https://vivalinuxmint.com/requisitos-de-linux-mint-19-minimos-y-optimos/[/url]

MÍNIMOS REQUISITOS DE LINUX MINT 19
Estos requisitos son los mínimos y necesarios para poder correr Linux Mint 19 de una manera fluida y más o menos rápida, sin que tengamos problemas de ralentizado o similares:

CINNAMON MATE XFCE mY lAP
CPU Dual Core 1,2 GHz Dual Core 1,2 GHz [color=#FFFF00]Dual Core 1,2 GHz
Procesador Intel® Celeron® M 430 (1.73GHz/1MB L2/533MHz FSB
RAM 1 GB 512 MB 512 MB 2 GB
DISCO 15 GB 10 GB 10 GB 80 GB
RESOLUCIÓN 1024 x 768 1024 x 768 1024 x 768 Pantalla de 15.4" TFT Activa WXGA (1280x800)
UNIDAD USB /DVD SI SI SI SI

ÓPTIMOS REQUISITOS DE LINUX MINT 19
Ahora os voy a describir los requisitos óptimos para poder ejecutar sin ningún problema diferentes aplicaciones a la vez, todo en un marco de un uso coherente

CINNAMON[/color] MATE XFCE
CPU Cuatro Cores 2,0 GHz Dual Core 3 GHz Dual Core 2 GHz
RAM 4 GB 2 GB 1 GB
DISCO 30 GB 20 GB 15 GB
RESOLUCIÓN 1024 x 768 1024 x 768 1024 x 768
UNIDAD USB /DVD SI SI SI

CPU is the only one that I do not know if it is enough, the others serve me even for the LM Cinnamon

I made a nice box (table) but it dosn't works, also I wanted to upload a image and I couldn't
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

luisa wrote: MÍNIMOS REQUISITOS DE LINUX MINT 19
I can't speak to what's on that website, but from the LM 19.2 Xfce release announcement (https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3788) ...

System requirements:

1GB RAM (2GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
15GB of disk space (20GB recommended).
1024×768 resolution (on lower resolutions, press ALT to drag windows with the mouse if they don’t fit in the screen).

That said, I would just try it, and see if it works on that hardware, and if it's up to your preferences for performance.
luisa

Post by luisa »

ok thanks i'll try it

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”