My experience of using Mint 20 Cinnamon Edition.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MintyCrabStick
Level 1
Level 1

My experience of using Mint 20 Cinnamon Edition.

Post by MintyCrabStick »

I wish to preface this that I have used Ubuntu before on and off and had the same or other problems.

So my aim for Linux was to use it to increase security, load Windows 10 in a VM with HyperV and play video games that way.
Little to no tutorials and no help with it, so found it overly complex, that failed as a plan.

So I went to install Steam from the software store. That failed to run after installation also after running the dependency checks too and fulfilling those. would show up as "Steam is updating" then after roughly 1-2 seconds would vanish and never see Steam again.

I went directly to the Steam site and got the .Deb package, same issues.
I ran it through terminal using SUDO apt, same problem again.

After spending roughly 9 hours trying to fix these issues, I gave up and went and installed Windows 10 again and felt smug and full of myself and happy again to be on an OS that works and is functional.

Now on the bright side, Mint is a great OS if you are only using it for office / multimedia purposes, I have no insight into the gaming side as it never worked for me.

Snappy, great customization, drivers were there and using my Nvidia card and installing the driver was an absolute cake walk, much easier than any previous Ubuntu experience I have had.

I love the OS, hate the way things work in it, want to use it, but can;t muster the time and energy, I have other priorities in life than sitting for hours troubleshooting 1 issue.

But I think Mint is a brilliant OS overall.

System spec.

Ryzen 2600X
Arctic Cooler Freezer 34 Esports Duo
16GB Team Group Vulcan TUF 3600
Gigabyte B450 Aorus ELITE
RTX 3070
Super Flower Leadex III GOLD
WD Blue 1TB M.2
PNY CS900 120GB
Razer Deathadder
Razer Basillisk
Logitech G305
Akko Ocen Star 3084 SP
Samsung CGR5 144hz Quantum Dot.

All devices worked flawlessly in Mint.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: My experience of using Mint 20 Cinnamon Edition.

Post by Moem »

MintyCrabStick wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:24 pm After spending roughly 9 hours trying to fix these issues, I gave up
You know, you could have asked...

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”