Time To Stay With Linux Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Time To Stay With Linux Mint

Post by dorsetUK »

majpooper wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:01 pm Not only does Mint work for lots of people OOB but it often works much better for them Than the operating system they came from . . . . and they never even open the terminal or have complied an app.
So - good for beginners :D

I wondered about this because although I'm just a 'user', I know that any Linux can do far more than I want. I just thought that most 'users' would also know that, so an OS that an expert can use, that is also good for beginners, seems to me to be a good thing.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

dorsetUK wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:21 pm an OS that an expert can use, that is also good for beginners, seems to me to be a good thing.
Spot on. :mrgreen:

Personally, I can probably do my daily computing on all distro's. But hey, I'm lazy as hell; so I love easy. 8)

I only want to tackle complications when I choose to, whenever I feel like a bit of brain exercise. I don't want to be forced to take 'em on. So Mint is excellent for me.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

dorsetUK wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:21 pm
majpooper wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:01 pm Not only does Mint work for lots of people OOB but it often works much better for them Than the operating system they came from . . . . and they never even open the terminal or have complied an app.
I wondered about this because although I'm just a 'user', I know that any Linux can do far more than I want. I just thought that most 'users' would also know that, so an OS that an expert can use, that is also good for beginners, seems to me to be a good thing.
Exactly. Of the 20+ installations I've done in the past year, not one of the users would know what the Terminal was. They simply get on with the job of using their computers.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

RollyShed wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:56 pm
dorsetUK wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:21 pm
Exactly. Of the 20+ installations I've done in the past year, not one of the users would know what the Terminal was. They simply get on with the job of using their computers.
Which, of course, was exactly my point. I have installed and support Mint for a handful of folks - not a one uses the terminal. For a few I put shortcuts (soft links) on the desktop for all the apps they use so all they need to do is "point and click" they don't even have to use the menu. On the other hand if you want to play around with .css files to alter the look here and there, customize icons, write shell scripts to automate tasks and so on - have at it.
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

majpooper wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:01 pmThe implication being that if it works out of the box then it must so simple that a beginner can install it and start using it then it must be of limited utility because, of course. a "real" linux distro is for knowledgeable linux experts.
Mint just working is what many Linux pros will never forgive Clem. All those years of working hard through tons of bad UI, and then Mint comes along with good UI, making all the effort look like having been in vain. Even worse, now people come onboard who don't see Linux as going through an initiatory journey, but who just want to use the computer.

The fun part is that this is exactly how a work-share society is supposed to be. Experts in a domain make things so that the non-experts of that domain can just use them. Everyone gets this - with the exception of IT experts who readily consume, but refuse to deliver. For these folks, I'd just love them visiting their dentist when they are in great pain, and then their dentist hands them over the syringe and the drill: "here are the sources."
Not only does Mint work for lots of people OOB but it often works much better for them Than the operating system they came from . . . . and they never even open the terminal or have complied an app.
I also have installed Mint for non-IT folks in my family, and they are happy so far. I'd rate Mint on a par with Win 7. Being on a par isn't enough to trigger a change - but Microsoft has lowered the bar so much with Win 10 that Mint actually wins for people who aren't locked in to Windows through Windows-only applications or hardcore-gaming.
BrianI
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BrianI »

I must admit I'm guilty of distro swapping at the moment, currently I'm running Kubuntu 20.04

Very flexible and customisable is the KDE Plasma desktop. But it can also be over complicated with endless settings for your options. Plus sometimes there are just tiny little paper cuts which add up to an annoying experience.

So yes, I think overall, Mint Cinnamon just gives the overall best experience for those who want to use their systems, e.g. for production use, photo editing etc, rather than those who want to play with their systems using rolling release distros etc.
BrianI
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BrianI »

BrianI wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:08 pm I must admit I'm guilty of distro swapping at the moment, currently I'm running Kubuntu 20.04

Very flexible and customisable is the KDE Plasma desktop. But it can also be over complicated with endless settings for your options. Plus sometimes there are just tiny little paper cuts which add up to an annoying experience.

So yes, I think overall, Mint Cinnamon just gives the overall best experience for those who want to use their systems, e.g. for production use, photo editing etc, rather than those who want to play with their systems using rolling release distros etc.
Anyway, a quick restoration of my Mint Cinammon installation via Timeshift (I'm glad I never hosed the timeshift backups during my distro hopping phase), and Bob is indeed your mother's brother! :lol:

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”