Thanks heaps for the edge version!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fatso
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks heaps for the edge version!

Post by fatso »

There I was, struggling to no avail, trying to get the standard Mint 20.1 installed on my son's shiny new bleeding-edge gaming laptop. Researched my face off trying to solve why it wouldn't boot. Then a bright light from the heavens shone down upon me, and a loving voice said "Use Edge".
Did. Not 1 hassle, not 1 glitch, not 1 hiccup.
Runs like an absolute dream.

Whoever created the edge version, you have my undying gratitude!

BTW: My son is 12. I asked him if he wouldn't rather just stay with Windows 10 that was pre-installed. Without the slightest hesitation, he said (and I quote)...
"uh-NO!" He's such a smart kid. Makes me proud. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
senjoz
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Thanks heaps for the edge version!

Post by senjoz »

fatso, you had educeted your son very well. Congratulations!

Regards, Jože
fatso
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fatso »

senjoz wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:21 am fatso, you had educeted your son very well.
LOL. All I did was let him try Mint. After all the headaches he had with Win10 previously, it was a no-brainer. The choice is and always was entirely his. Like I said...smart kid. ;) BTW: the exact same thing happened with my wife. I sat her down at my computer, said "there's your 'start' button" and walked away. 10 minutes later, she was sold on Mint, and has never looked back. She has never asked me a single question about using Mint, either. It's been well over 1 year.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

fatso wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:00 am ...Whoever created the edge version, you have my undying gratitude!...
Mint is Ubuntu based except for LMDE, so that would be Ubuntu/Canonical.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

fatso wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:52 am
senjoz wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:21 am fatso, you had educeted your son very well.
LOL. All I did was let him try Mint. After all the headaches he had with Win10 previously, it was a no-brainer. The choice is and always was entirely his. Like I said...smart kid. ;) BTW: the exact same thing happened with my wife. I sat her down at my computer, said "there's your 'start' button" and walked away. 10 minutes later, she was sold on Mint, and has never looked back. She has never asked me a single question about using Mint, either. It's been well over 1 year.
I've had the experiences - as I posted in another thread a friend I installed Mint for a few ago asked me if I would install Mint on a brand new Lenovo - I don't believe Windows 10 ever booted up on that laptop. Same as you I set up Mint for my wife almost 7 years ago - start button in the lower left corner and all her desktop shortcuts. Her questions are never OS related like they were back in the Windows days - rather they are always application questions like how can I get a pic off my phone to my PC or print duplex etc. not I have this blue screen what does that mean or my PC is frozen and I can't shut it down . . . . . .
fatso
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fatso »

Hoser Rob wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:46 am
fatso wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:00 am ...Whoever created the edge version, you have my undying gratitude!...
Mint is Ubuntu based except for LMDE, so that would be Ubuntu/Canonical.
Oh, ok. I guess I got confused by it only being available with the cinnamon desktop (that's Mint-specific, right?).
Well, in any case, somebody deserves a big hug. ;)
fatso
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fatso »

majpooper wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:58 am
fatso wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:52 am
I've had the experiences - as I posted in another thread a friend I installed Mint for a few ago asked me if I would install Mint on a brand new Lenovo - I don't believe Windows 10 ever booted up on that laptop. Same as you I set up Mint for my wife almost 7 years ago - start button in the lower left corner and all her desktop shortcuts. Her questions are never OS related like they were back in the Windows days - rather they are always application questions like how can I get a pic off my phone to my PC or print duplex etc. not I have this blue screen what does that mean or my PC is frozen and I can't shut it down . . . . . .
Now if only I could convince my teenage son to at least try Mint. Alas, he's not willing. Teens be so stoopud! LOL
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

fatso wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:00 am Whoever created the edge version, you have my undying gratitude!
The Edge version is an official Linux Mint version: https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedoc ... /edge.html. It was created by Clem specifically to tackle issues as with your son's laptop, when the regular version won't boot/install because the hardware is too new.

Happy to see it serving its purpose :)
fatso
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fatso »

xenopeek wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:36 am
fatso wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:00 am Whoever created the edge version, you have my undying gratitude!
The Edge version is an official Linux Mint version: https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedoc ... /edge.html. It was created by Clem specifically to tackle issues as with your son's laptop, when the regular version won't boot/install because the hardware is too new.

Happy to see it serving its purpose :)
Thanks for clearing that up, xenopeek. Good to know I thanked the right source in the 1st place. :)
And Clem, if you're watching, it's like I said in my initial post. My son is downright giddy about his new gaming Mint. :D
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

I used the Edge iso it on my intel 10th gen build and all is fine.
JesseRBassett
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JesseRBassett »

I am using the edge version now on my hp 6200 desktop. Works like the pc is brand new! :)
Sincerely,
Jesse R Bassett

My PC Specs:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=1B828140 ... ot&o=OneUp

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”